Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-09-2011, 02:29 AM   #11
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The best housing would be the Cibie ECE (E-code) compliant housings, then Hella's e-code, then either company's DOT compliant housings. The E-code housings are EU specs and have a far superior light pattern. I'm not sure who all carries them but if you Google Daniel Stern Lighting he can get them. Naturally, price follows function...
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:13 AM   #12
icey756
3" Exhaust

icey756 is on a distinguished road

What is a DOT approved lighting fixture exactly cre? And would i have to ad a resister to that also? and what sizing should be used? Just need some ideas
Old 09-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #13
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

We're talking specifically about headlight enclosures for H4 bulbs, not what you're doing. DOT it the US Department of Transportation they're the ones who regulate the lighting standards and specify what is required for conformity for use on street. I Europe there are different standards (their newer headlight standards are better than DOT; known as E-Code or ECE).

New bulbs often makes a big difference in brightness just by itself.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 09-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #14
icey756
3" Exhaust

icey756 is on a distinguished road

I kinda just want to do something to my car to make it stand out more. I would like to do a new paint job but i dont have the money for that right now. I just wanted to do something relatively cheap so i replaced my interior lights with while LED. I would still like to do something to the outside as well. Any ideas?
Old 09-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #15
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

The only LEDs you could put on the outside that'll make it stand out are:

1) The cheap LED bulbs in place of incandescents which every kid does to their car right away.
2) Under lighting which every 10th kid does.
3) OR converting to LED lighting and doing it well (I can think of about 5 people total who've done it on a MKIII and it's never easy... expense varies depending on resourcefulness).

Personally, I recommend you not wasting time on any mods until everything else is in excellent shape. Spend that time and energy flushing the coolant system thoroughly, replace transmission and differential fluids, replace shifter seat and bushing (if manual). Convert to fluidic windshield washers (the ones you find mounted to the wiper arm on Buicks and Cadillacs are nice, then you can delete the hood nipples. Replace the tiny driver's side footwell light bulb with LED light bars in both footwells. Do the same for the trunk light. Replace all vacuum hoses and test all VSVs. Get every little piece of maintenance done.

The easiest way to make sure you stand out with a MKIII is to make sure it's not always just standing there (broken down).

Their looks aren't so exotic that they aren't always confused for half a dozen other (lesser) vehicles... so forget about making a big splash with just some different bulbs which no one is going to notice anyway (unless you hang out in dark parking garages).

Of course there's always spray paint or roller paintjobs. :P

Tip Jar --->
Old 09-14-2011, 07:29 AM   #16
supraman3000
3" Exhaust

supraman3000 is on a distinguished road

In supramania a saw some guy do LED's on his mkIII but he did everything in led's he did it himself but it took him he said a whole winter but it was really worth it. THAT SH...WRITE..THR? THAT SH...I'L MAKE u DEFF!
supraman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #17
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Yea, it's not complicated hardware, just tedious work... I can't believe he didn't get PCBs printed. His project did turn out amazingly well!

I've got some fairly flexible PCB stock which would be ideal for that kind of project.. I just think the are decent solutions available that are easily modified to fit to keep me from bothering with a full custom setup.... I'll have to do custom turn signals though as those require a curved PCB for the best fit in my car.

Tip Jar --->
Old 09-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #18
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

The best looking ones that ive seen r these on YouTube. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvVjf...e_gdata_player
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:37 PM   #19
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

I like them, but I think he should have filled the empty space when the brakes come on. Also everytime I see those anywhere they just look too dim in both modes. My favorite for outside/exterior MKIII Supra lighting is SupraDupra's work on his black MKIII:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dTeU...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v85ml...eature=related

You can't see it in those videos but he's even got a scanning LED (like Night Rider) hidden between the hood and the upward extension of the '89+ bumper... it's just a silly thing that amuses me.

I do not like what he did to his interior. My MKIII had lit foot wells, and the cups to door handles were lit along with extra lighting in the trunk and all LEDs/lamps replaced for blue and white LEDs (red LEDs for the defroster setting selection LEDs though... not the icon light just the one that lights when either of those buttons is pressed).

Here's the LED scanner:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw4iN1MY6yA&NR=1

His website is at www.supradupra.com if you want to see what all else he's been up to.. Not my thing really, but unforgettable.

Tip Jar --->
Old 09-14-2011, 11:25 PM   #20
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

The black mk3 is sick. Ive change the lights in my gauges to blue LEDs and the climate control lights to blue LEDs And the dome light to led. I also would like to light up my foot wells, the fog and defroster switches with blue LEDs as well.
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote