Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #11
Awyman18
3" Exhaust

Awyman18 is on a distinguished road

My suggestion....by a ishino headgasket set. Its a cosmetic hg and its basically wat was originally used. I fixed my bhg with that, and don't buy arp head bolts...buy the studs! The studs is a massive overkill, but there going to be like....maybe $15 more then bolts. Machine the head....and have it chemically bathed. That is a must no matter wat hg u buy. If u go cosmetic....go to autozone or andvanced, buy this purpleish colored wire/sand paper junk. Buy it so it can go on the end of a drill. Use that on the block and clean the crap out of it. Don't be scared to get a little fierce with it..just my advice if ur gonna do it.
Awyman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #12
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awyman18 View Post
Its a cosmetic hg and its basically wat was originally used.
Um.... No. The stock HG was a graphite composite HG; Cometic is a multi-layer steel HG and requires significantly more prep of both block and head.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #13
Awyman18
3" Exhaust

cosmetic....as in not metal....lots of people refer to the stock hg as a cosmetic hg...simply because its not metal. rarely ever hear anyone call it a graphite hg. Either metal multi-layered steel hg, or a cosmetic/composite hg.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #14
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

I've never heard anyone refer to a hg as "Cosmetic", unless they're referring to the Cometic gasket and they spelled it incorrectly.

cos·met·ic /k?zˈmetik/
Adjective: Involving or relating to treatment intended to restore or improve a person's appearance.
Noun: A product applied to the body, esp. the face, to improve its appearance.

So, in a nutshell, "Cosmetic" does not refer to a non-metal hg
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #15
Awyman18
3" Exhaust

thats wat ive heard...no need to start trolling around on the forums....
Old 09-06-2011, 08:45 AM   #16
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

You're mistaken and stubborn, deaf or listening to retards... I couldn't care less which. MLS (Multi-Layer Steel of which there are a few different types), graphite composite aka just composite (which have a steel shim as a base), asbestos, and single layer copper are all TYPES of HG. COMETIC is a manufacturer of HGs; The only HG they make for the 7M is MLS and it also happens to be the most forgiving of higher surface roughness.

There's no such thing as a cosmetic HG; Unless you think a single layer copper, shim type is nice and purdy (which they are when new). If you'd search Google a bit you'll find that the results which aren't automatically corrected to "Cometic" are generally forum discussions in which the person is corrected in short order.

And we're not trolling... we're trying to ensure that information posted is as accurate as possible.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #17
Awyman18
3" Exhaust

Just saying wat I've heard...lawl...