Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 06-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #21
chuck0960
Stock

chuck0960 is on a distinguished road

I carefully sprayed ether already. it just spits and sputters like it does when you dont put ether in it.
the reason i bought iridium is because it seemed they were the best ones to buy (guess i didnt research enough) and because it was the only plugs the store could get me within 3 days.

so the Irdidiums should be fine (according to cre, and i trust his word). but the stock ones are just NGK copper?? or NGK platinum??

Last edited by chuck0960; 06-06-2011 at 11:53 PM.
chuck0960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #22
El Supracabras
3" Exhaust

El Supracabras is on a distinguished road

If they were ordered for your car, the plugs shouldn't be a problem, but if you are skeptical of your plugs, the autolite coppers only cost about $12 for 6 and they definitely work. You can always put the ngk's back in once it is running.
If you have spark, adequate fuel pressure and your timing is close enough, the engine should start. It's not that complicated. Compression is the only component left to check.
Spit and sputter? Does it show any signs of ignition, such as popping or backfiring? Have you checked for spark from the other coils? Are the spark plugs wet or dry after cranking for a few seconds?
El Supracabras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #23
chuck0960
Stock

It pops and sometimes backfires xthe plugs are dry and smell like fuel. How would I check the open circuit relay to see if it's bad?
Old 06-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #24
El Supracabras
3" Exhaust

There are signs of life. phew. If you are backfiring, you HAVE spark and fuel. This is combustion happening at the wrong time. You probably have the timing 180 degrees off if your marks are lined up correctly. When you set the crank pulley, did you check to see that the #1 piston was on the compression stroke? There are 2 upward strokes only 1 makes compression. Or did you line up the marks and put everything together? If so you may have found your problem. At least I hope so, it's been 3 pages already this car should be out laying rubber!
Old 06-08-2011, 12:46 AM   #25
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Back firing when spraying in starter fluid is not unheard of even if the timing is correct.... and given the delicate nature of many of the intake controls in use in modern cars manufacturers of the cars and starter fluids both usually recommend against the use of it on EFI vehicles.

As for all the speculation about the KVAFM.... YES, you can run the GTE without one even connected... the car should drive decently all around but I'd highly recommend against trying to push it very hard. However a bad KVAFM can indeed keep the engine from running altogether... funny huh?

And on a related note; The 7M-GE cannot be run without the VAFM (vane air flow meter) connected.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:16 AM   #26
chuck0960
Stock

El Supracabas- i marked everything and put the crank at TDC and marked the CPS and then put everything back together the same way.
And yes its getting to be frustrating....it needs to be on the road so i can cruise around with the targa off on these nice sunny days!!
I finally got to the open circuit relay...but how do i test it to see if it is good?? because my fuel pump still doesnt prime the fuel rail before i attempt cranking the motor.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #27
El Supracabras
3" Exhaust

Ok, just checking. Would have been nice if that's all it was, it's very common. I am in agreement with cre regarding the use of ether on EFI engines, however I'm running out of ideas for you.
If you think it's not priming, jumper the fuel pump from the diagnostic box. Then try to start it. Have you checked the voltage at the pump while someone cranks the engine? The procedures to check the COR should be in the tsrm.
Here's an interesting read that will hopefully help you understand what you are looking for.

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...-fuel-pumps%29
Old 06-09-2011, 01:46 AM   #28
chuck0960
Stock

Well it started up yesterday. ran today. but now it decided to do what it did when i bought it. after driving so long and it gets to temp. the antifreeze empties out thru the overflow bottle. SO PISSED!!
I dont even know what to do now....
But on the other hand, Cre and El Supracabras have been extremely helpful...Thanks Guys.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #29
El Supracabras
3" Exhaust

Glad to help.
For the benefit of any readers who may stumble upon your unfortunate situation, would you mind posting what it was exactly that eventually got the car to start? I sure would like to know.
Take a little vacation from the car and go back when you're fresh to deal with the coolant issue. Old cars (mk3 supras!) can be frustrating. My supra has taken a healthy chunk of both my patience and money but I love having a car that people will look at for a couple minutes and still ask me "what kind of car is that?". Unfortunately it is usually followed by "you're leaking coolant".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	y-u-no-meme-generator-supra-y-u-no-stop-leaking-coolant-37ded3.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	3964  
Old 06-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #30
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Supracabras View Post
Unfortunately it is usually followed by "you're leaking coolant".
LOL, so true....
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote