Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
supraman8188
Stock

supraman8188 is on a distinguished road
Question Dtc 42

I have been experiencing a problem lately with my 86.5 5 speed cutting out after a while of running..but it runs good from a cold start. Today when I left from work it was running good then it started acting up about half way home..when I got in the garage I checked for codes and the only one I'm getting is 42 which is vehicle speed sensor signal..so I looked it up on alldata but the picture is unclear to me...would appreciate some help thanks. Note: my speedo doesn't work.

1986.5 Supra Manual Red Mica(Maroon) w/wing: Custom sound system, 18" Tork Revos, smoked tail lights, markers, and turn signals.

Mods: Eibach lowering springs, Energy poly front upper and lower control arm bushings, custom cold air intake, solid engine mounts, Magnaflow, short shifter, Optima Red Top, other custom fabrications..and yes a bra.
supraman8188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The speed signal is generated in the speedo... fix it.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
supraman8188
Stock

Default Speedo fix

Thanks Cre..but could you draw out for me how to do so?

1986.5 Supra Manual Red Mica(Maroon) w/wing: Custom sound system, 18" Tork Revos, smoked tail lights, markers, and turn signals.

Mods: Eibach lowering springs, Energy poly front upper and lower control arm bushings, custom cold air intake, solid engine mounts, Magnaflow, short shifter, Optima Red Top, other custom fabrications..and yes a bra.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The odds are that one of the segments of the speedometer cable is damaged. All data should show where it runs. Start with pulling off the lower segment which runs into the transmission and (while holding one end to prevent movement try to turn the other end a couple rotations... if it spins relatively freely that segment should be replaced, if not, reconnect it to the other half, turn and have someone check if the end in the cabin turns freely (with the cluster removed, of course)... if the cable is good.

Then try driving the speedo with a drill (pressing in a soft dowel about 1/8" should fit the speedo's interface.

The last part is the speedo drive gear in the transmission which the cable connects to, but save that for last as you'll have to drain the gear oil to check it (you can check to see if it spins freely while it's in though; If it does, it's shot).

NOTE: the only part which should move freely is the speedometer itself (naturally, the cable will if the other end is unbound though).
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 06-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
supraman8188
Stock

Angry Still stalling when hot

Thanks cre good call..I do however have the issue of it cutting out when it warms up goodI swapped my afm with a friends and no change..I'm thinking the ecu...but not sure..... I tried to run a resistor from E2-THA and it was as though the afm wasn't even connected..?

P.S. New clutch yesterday....

Old 06-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

I don't follow.

Tip Jar --->
Old 06-06-2011, 01:20 AM   #7
supraman8188
Stock

which part do you not follow?

Old 06-06-2011, 03:21 AM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraman8188 View Post
I tried to run a resistor from E2-THA and it was as though the afm wasn't even connected..?
This part. You did what and why? Where did you try to insert the resistor, was the AFM still connected (It MUST be on a GE for the engine to run).... etc.

Tip Jar --->
Old 06-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
supraman8188
Stock

I read what I think was a post by you to run that resister between the two terminals to trick the ecu..and yes the afm was plugged in at the time.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

That's only something you do if you're deleting the stock AFM.

Did you fix the speedometer?

Have you actually tested the AFM? And why'd you just jump to the AFM? You don't mention any error codes related to it.

Tip Jar --->