Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 04-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
looneytune_2004
Stock

looneytune_2004 is on a distinguished road
Default 7mge wont pass smog HELPPP!!!

ok so i have went to smog my car 3 times now and i have failed
i have failed in the measure if my HC (hydrocarbons) yet i have changed my plugs and wires to ngk all the way around as well as changed my o2 sensor. New vac lines as well as ive checked my timing and i am spot on, idle is fine yet i still get a nice epic FAIL. here are the results from my last 2 test
i didnt change the cap and rotor will that really make a big differance even though i scrapped an sandpapered them. and
here is my full chart test done on april 23/2011
@15mph CO was .10 and max allowed is .49
@15mph CO was .06 and max allowed is .40

HC(PPM)
@15mph HC was 142 and max allowed is 106
@25mph HC was 113 and max allowed is 58

NO(PPM)
@15mph NO was 459 and max allowed is 762
@25mph NO was 948 and max allowed is 701

compared to the test i did on march 31/2011 my results were as followed
@15mph CO was .14 and max allowed is .49
@15mph CO was .08 and max allowed is .40

HC(PPM)
@15mph HC was 179 and max allowed is 106
@25mph HC was 136 and max allowed is 58

NO(PPM)
@15mph NO was 365 and max allowed is 762
@25mph NO was 490 and max allowed is 701
in between the 2 test i had my wires and plugs changed to new NGK all around as well as right before the most recent test i had changed the o2 sensor with in like 10min of the test, as well as new oil and the car had been drivin to get it to opt temp. intake is the stock setup with a clean filter, now my exhaust behind the cat is 2.5'' which was allowed on the test as well as it has a new muffler as for the cat im not sure when it was last replaced because when i bought it, it had what looks to be a new one from 2006, now when i got the car the car was sitting outside for some time with the exhaust manifold unbolted from the block. as for the motor it came from my other supra which it passed smog last year in feb. of 2010. so can any one help with the new info given
thanx all
looneytune_2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

It's possible the cat is in bad shape. I'd suggest advancing the timing but it may result in a rise in NOx emissions. Check the EGR system to make sure it's functioning and that the passage in the Y pipe and upper plenum are clear of clogs and buildup. Make sure you're setting the timing correctly, you MUST jumper TE and E1 and set to 10?BTDC. And test the AFM (look for signs of tempering too).

Any mods on the car?
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
looneytune_2004
Stock

only mod i see is that after the cat is it has 2.5 straight back, and ive read the digital manuel tons of times yet i dont understand how to test my egr for proper operation, and my timing is perfect at 10 degrees btdc. as for the cat like i said before i have no idea when it was last serviced or replaced but i believe it was round late 05 to early 06, but when i picked up the car for my motor swap it had been sitting outside in like a yard/feild (not being cared for at all) like the muffler was replaced because it was rotted out when i got it other than that thats all ive changed
Old 04-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Engine swap's a biggie when it comes to the EGR. Where's the engine from? In a number of places EGR wasn't used until later. It may not be present or may be missing components... check all that first (don't forget the rear cooler plate. Then clean out the EGR airways, test the EGR VSV, then the valve.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 04-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
looneytune_2004
Stock

the motor came from my other supra that was totaled but it was the same year. how do i test my egr and is it possible to remove it with the engine still in the car
Old 04-26-2011, 02:15 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Oh.... just noticed you're in Cali.... you'll have 2 oxygen sensors, 2 cats, 2 EGR VSVs and an EGR temp sensor to inspect on top of the AFM and EGR valve. First and foremost make sure the plumbing from the valve to the intake is clean then check for error codes in the ECU.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...Section=EX&P=2

Check: Dashpot, EGR,
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar....aspx?S=EC&P=1

Check air flow meter, EGR gas temp sensor, oxygen sensor and sub-oxygen sensor:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...ction=FI&P=118

Yes, you can remove most of the EGR components with the engine still in th car; The cooler plate is a MAJOR pain though and unless it's leaking it probably doesn't need to be removed. Just test it as shown above and clean out the plumbing for it. It's not the cause of high HC; It's the cause for most high NOx numbers (which you also failed on).

This covers all the likely suspects.

Is there much oil coming through your PCV system into the intake?

Tip Jar --->
Old 04-26-2011, 04:15 AM   #7
looneytune_2004
Stock

ur way off i dont have 2 of none of that, my supra is an 87 7mge thus im pre obd2, i have one cat, one o2 sensor, as well as one egr. but yea do you think my cat needs to be replace. as well as me actually changing my rotor and distributor cap.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:49 AM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

No, I'm not way off.... it's SUPPOSED to have all of that if it was sold in the California market. It has nothing to do with CANN, OBD, OBDII, etc.

A new cat probably wouldn't hurt, I'm surprised you haven't been referred to a ref yet... but I don't remember how it all works there... just that's it's worse than here.

Test for faults in the current hardware before you start just blindly throwing money at it. If the rotor and points show significant deterioration you should replace them anyway if not though then forget it.

I pointed you where to find the diagnostic info you need to use, it's up to you to do so... I'm out.

Tip Jar --->
Old 04-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #9
looneytune_2004
Stock

my supra isnt a california vehicle. so what else can i check and do
Old 04-26-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
looneytune_2004
Stock

are the emission standards differnt for a california vs federal vehicle?