Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-31-2011, 12:56 AM   #11
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

If it's bogging under ~4KRPM then check all the vacuum plumbing under the intake plenum. A problem with the ACIS system will cause sluggishness at lower RPM.

Yes, 10?BTDC with the diagnostic jumper in place.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:49 AM   #12
My88isGREAT
Stock

My88isGREAT is on a distinguished road

supracabra, did you set the cam position sensor back to where it needs to be when the motor is TDC before you installed it? Sounds like something simple that your missing. You don't need to jumper anything to check timing, just hook up timing light to #6 plug and see if it is running at 10 before TDC
My88isGREAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:29 AM   #13
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by My88isGREAT View Post
You don't need to jumper anything to check timing, just hook up timing light to #6 plug and see if it is running at 10 before TDC
You're wrong... On both counts. You can only use #6 on the GTE for timing as it runs a wasted spark setup, not so on the GE; You MUST have the engine at normal operating temperatures, no critical diagnostic codes present, and you must jumper TE1 and E1 so the ECU does not adjust the ignition timing and sticks to the programmed map explicitly.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 04-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #14
El_supracabra
Intake

El_supracabra is on a distinguished road

LOL @ my88isgreat When i FIRST posted that i had set it on 0* i didnt know that. But a couple days later, i was reading on cygnusx1 and discovered that interesting little tidbit. I set it correctly, but its still not running perfect. I think i am going to start throwing parts at it.

CHEVROLET- Cracked Heads, Every Valve Rattles, Oil Leaks Every Time

FORD- Flipped Over, Rebuilt Dodge

DODGE- Dirty Old Dust Gathering Engine

I'd rather drive a Toyota, than push a ford.
El_supracabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #15
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

I wouldn't do that...

First I would try bypassing the fuel pump relay and resistor (passenger fender) as it switches around 4K.... if that doesn't do anything either I'd take it from the top:

Remove the timing belt cover, loosen the tensioner and slide the timing belt off. Make sure that the dowel for each cam and gear is in the center hole on both cam and gear. Remove the #1 spark plug and place a 12" dowel in the hole, rotate the crank until the dowel stops moving upward and check to see if the 0? mark on the harmonic balancer is correct. After you verified that all the indicators are accurately pointing to 0? pull the CPS and reset it (again :P ); See the FAQ for a thread on setting timing it has a picture showing where the CPS internals should be pointing once the CPS is installed so you can make sure it didn't skip a tooth on you.

Go back over the wiring. Disconnect and inspect every plug/socket; Unbolt every ground and clean them all very thoroughly with sandpaper... The same for the face of the head/block/chassis that they bolt to and even the flange of the nut. A couple common mistakes here are people not bolting down all of the grounds on the back of the intake plenum or forgetting one of the wires on the back of the head on the exhaust side (especially the black wire with yellow stripe that bolts to the fire wall).

Inspect the vacuum lines and routing. Make sure the lines for the fuel pressure VSV are all correct.

Tip Jar --->
Old 04-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #16
My88isGREAT
Stock

CRE, where do you get the info that you use a dead plug to check timing? How in the hell would you check the timing on a car that is not going to run right or idle with a non-running cylinder, building pressure and not detonating? I do see the thing about jumping the diagnostic though, sorry bout that.
chupacabra, you should have marked your distributor (sorry I said cam position sensor before, scold me) before you pulled all the stuff apart so you knew how it goes together. Like I was saying, and CRE said, you need to check you mark on the distributor before you install to make sure it is lined up. http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...aspx?S=IG&P=19 If it still runs like shit, set it back at TDC, pull out the distributor and try another tooth. Make sure you did not accidentally hook up spark plug wires in the incorrect order first, it could happen if your were not careful.... You said at first (my cams don't line up perfect) neither do mine even before I took the motor apart. The one on the exhaust side was a little to the inside. Here is the pic, if yours is like this there should be no problem. It is hard to see if your not looking at it in person but hope it helps.... I still think its your distributor but I dunno, this is why I don't help people with there stuff.

Last edited by My88isGREAT; 04-03-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #17
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

My88isGREAT, it looks like you need to slip your timing belt off and correct your intake cam. It's obviously off by a tooth
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #18
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
CRE, where do you get the info that you use a dead plug to check timing? How in the hell would you check the timing on a car that is not going to run right or idle with a non-running cylinder
As usual, no idea what on Earth you are talking about... RTFM. On a N/A, which is what this person has, you can only use wire #1 to check timing. On a GTE you may use either #1 or #6 as they always fire at the same time; It's called a wasted spark setup. Now go away.

Quote:
this is why I don't help people with there stuff.
Then stick with it. No need for you to go making exceptions just for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwilson86 View Post
My88isGREAT, it looks like you need to slip your timing belt off and correct your intake cam. It's obviously off by a tooth
It may be the angle of the picture and it may be as close as it's going to get. With older belts (and cheap modern production on new ones) you'll get extra slack on the belt and thus inaccurate tooth spacing.

Tip Jar --->
Old 04-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #19
My88isGREAT
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwilson86 View Post
OK Mr. Smart guy, then how come I have TWO motors and they are EXACTLY the same, the angle on the exhaust is slightly inside, IF I moved it one tooth in either direction it would be totally screwed. As for old belt, it was EXACTLY the same when I put the motor back together with the new one, must be a conspiracy and Gates Racing is in on it too. All I can say is bring your bag of bolts & nuts and put some money on it!!! Its like when I try to help my buddy with his bone stock 77 Camaro 305, runs beautiful, does not even smoke. He ask me "what can I do to get some more power out of it" so I give him some suggestions, but when someone else is there "a hater" they say "Put a 350 in it..." Then he wants to make it look better, so I tell him to put some fatter tires on the back like 10" wides, and clean up the factory rims, they are in beautiful shape. Once again yes "a hater" says "Put some 20"s on it..." So I wont help out any more guys don't worry. Don't want to help out to tell them where the timing should be set if they did not even read the book for themselves to know...

Last edited by My88isGREAT; 04-04-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:33 AM   #20
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
OK Mr. Smart guy, then how come I have TWO motors and they are EXACTLY the same, the angle on the exhaust is slightly inside, IF I moved it one tooth in either direction it would be totally screwed. As for old belt, it was EXACTLY the same when I put the motor back together with the new one, must be a conspiracy and Gates Racing is in on it too.
Wow.... piece of work.

He was just going by the pic and due to the angle it DOES look like it could be off a tooth.

As for the belt, yes, some are dead perfect and some a hair off.... That's not a big deal because it's only ever 1? or 2?.

You didn't even know how to set the ignition advance so perhaps you ought to pipe down a little Junior.

Quote:
So I wont help out any more guys don't worry.
I won't cry... I'm sick of posting corrections and missing data after every one of your posts.

Tip Jar --->