Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-04-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road
Default 7mge head bolts retorque

I have a rebuild 7mge and it has the stock head bolts torqued to 75lbs. And i was wondering if I should maybe re-torque them. Also the new motor has about 1700 miles on it.
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:47 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

A retorque is always a good idea; It's cheap insurance. Crack loose just enough to avoid striction (binding, non-fluid tightening movement) on the tightening pass. I've posted in more detail about my process of retorquing before, search the word "striction" and you'll probably find it relatively easily... no one sees to know what it is.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:42 AM   #3
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

So I should crack them all loose a bit at the same time then retorque in the way the tsrm show or one at a time Crack loose then retorque.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:48 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

It's just as easy to do them all in order to be safe, but you're not likely to cause any problems by the temporary difference of 5ft lbs on a given bolt. I loosen them all about a quarter of a turn first then I tighten back in order. If one needs a little more backing off (as much as another 1/4 turn or so) in order to get it to tighten down smoothly I'll do it by itself then.

If you lubed them with moly grease when you installed them tighten to 75ft lbs, if you lubed with 30wt oil torque to 80ft lbs... If you didn't chase the threads when you did the HG then just forget it as your torque reading are all going to be way low and you'll be redoing it in a year anyway.

It's good to do it when the engine isn't cold too.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 03-05-2011, 04:15 AM   #5
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Well the shop that build the motor installed the HG and head so I don't know if they lubed them or not nor chasing the threads.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:47 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

I'd be quite surprised (if they're a reputable shop and the work wasn't done by a new apprentice) if they didn't lube all the fasteners and chase the threads; They're essential to accurate torque readings and a good rebuild.

Tip Jar --->
Old 03-06-2011, 06:34 AM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Would you please measure your dipstick and post the length in this thread? Measure from the black rubber stopper to the tip. It would really help another owner and I think I may need to add it to the FAQ... It's come up a few times. Thanks!

Tip Jar --->
Old 03-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #8
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Got it all apart and retorque all the bolts. Then all back together today. So I went to take it around the block and forgot to plug in the TPS and it was revving at 2500 RPMs. So I plugged it in and now it still revs at 2500+ and have code 51. So you guys think I have to redo my TPS again.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:53 AM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

I don't know why you're even asking? Yes, try calibrating the TPS again... while you're at it you should test it with a multimeter to be sure it's still functional.

If you still have the high rev issues after you get rid of the code 51 you should start with verifying that all of the vacuum hoses are properly routed.

Remember, having the A/C on or pressing the throttle while in the diagnostic mode will cause a code 51; Same goes for an improperly terminated A/C signal line after deleting the A/C.

Tip Jar --->