Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #11
CanadianBak'inSupra
Official hall monitor / search nazi - NO SOUP FOR YOU!

CanadianBak'inSupra is on a distinguished road

i think i just really like the m series engines.
kind of like holding the torch...

but dam, what i would give for a 1jztt
Old 03-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #12
gloreboy89
3" Exhaust

gloreboy89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907mge View Post
So are you doing the swap yourself if you do one and do you still owe the money on the supra?
to answer your question No im not doing the swap myself i dont have the space or the tools to do it, also im not that confident in my skills to do something as big as a engines swap. i will be taking it tho my friends repair shop (called 3 face racing) i trusted those guys to change a head gasket on my dads toyota lancruiser(paid 1,600 for that). Also i owe around $2400 left on the car loan still so i will keep the car and get a new engine.

My mechanic has found a 1jzte JDM for $1700 and i believe im leaning towards that now. after talking to my mechanic i think the 7m's engine will start off having work done. The head gasket, stand alone, and something else. With just a few pieces swapped on the 1jzte it can produce round 500hp( this is my belief). Just change out the stock turbo for a bigger one, put a standalone unit,and a few others, and the ijzte should be worth it. (tell me if im wrong)
too lazy to find a funny quote, buuuutttt off the top of my head. "life always= how well you treat your car, put crap in ur car, then car breaks down, then miss important meeting, or work which just so happen u cant miss another day or ur fired... and end up with a crappy life.

driving an '88 supra
gloreboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #13
Ranma
12psi boost

Ranma is an unknown quantity at this point

So what was the cause of the fire? These things just do not happen.

Oh why do you need 600 horsepower? Unless you run it on a track there is no purpose, though perhaps I lived too long in Oklahoma. The highway patrol monitors the toll roads here and there is ZERO tolerance. Got pulled over for doing 79 in a 75.
Really, I would like to know, why do you need so much power? It is even more silly in Japan where the speed limit max is 62 mph. Am not putting you down just puzzled.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #14
gloreboy89
3" Exhaust

well since i wasnt driving my car since it happened i dont fully know, but what my mechanic and i saw was the a hole in the bearing and the engine cant hold any oil.
My guess is that when my brother took my car for a drive, on the highway the bearing somehow blew open leaked hot oil on the wires around the starter causing fire.

As for the power gain i would like to like to drive a decently powered car with, and i know some friends that race on various tracks around metropolitan atlanta. Yeah i dont think 500hp is necessary for me but i would at least like to own a car in 300-450hp range, while keeping most of the parts on the car toyota brand.
too lazy to find a funny quote, buuuutttt off the top of my head. "life always= how well you treat your car, put crap in ur car, then car breaks down, then miss important meeting, or work which just so happen u cant miss another day or ur fired... and end up with a crappy life.

driving an '88 supra
Old 03-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #15
Ranma
12psi boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloreboy89 View Post
well since i wasnt driving my car since it happened i dont fully know, but what my mechanic and i saw was the a hole in the bearing and the engine cant hold any oil.
My guess is that when my brother took my car for a drive, on the highway the bearing somehow blew open leaked hot oil on the wires around the starter causing fire.

As for the power gain i would like to like to drive a decently powered car with, and i know some friends that race on various tracks around metropolitan atlanta. Yeah i dont think 500hp is necessary for me but i would at least like to own a car in 300-450hp range, while keeping most of the parts on the car toyota brand.
Well at least he was not hurt and the car did not burn. I crashed a Volkswagen Squareback one and the car burned. The thing burned itself out from front to rear.
About taking it on the track, then it makes sense. I would think a new or a rebuilt engine would serve you well. It is one thing driving a high millage engine on the expressway but on the track you need every advantage.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #16
907mge
20psi boost

907mge is on a distinguished road

Just remember that a JDM 1jz is not a new engine, so even though it has low milage does not mean it has not been abused. Most only come with a 30day start up warranty. Basically you get what you get and maybe you will get lucky with a nice one. Just keep this in mind when you are thinking of making higher hp numbers.
907mge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #17
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ochowdero View Post
you got 2000, thats well enough for a 1jzte or maybe a 2jzte
LOL...

I'm just gonna leave this here, gloreboy89 is going to need it soon enough.

And a few people have broken 1000RWHP on the 7M.... and I'm sure it cost an absolute fortune.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #18
gloreboy89
3" Exhaust

o yeah i will remember to be careful when increasing hp, but i dont have any plans of building it anytime soon (out of money now, and my tax refund is gone, wonder where it went). the JDM 1jzte will have around 40000-60000 miles on it already but compared to the old 7mge (i had 95,000 before this) it is failry new.
Question do you guys know if i could put one of those extended warranty's on the car after i put the engine in my supra?

driving an '88 supra
Old 03-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #19
907mge
20psi boost

907mge is on a distinguished road

From what I have experienced and heard the extended warranties are worth less. Even if you get them to cover that old of a car with the engine swap they are a rip. Lets say you need a new tranny, they don't have to pay for a rebuild but rather can pick a used tranny from some junkyard to replace it as long as it works. Then if that one clunks out in a few months, you are back to square one.

If I where you I would just stick with a 7mgte if you are going to have to pay for the labor for the swap. To do the 1jz you are still going to need to modify the wiring harness and parts are a little more difficult to get with the engine not being used in the US.
907mge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #20
Ranma
12psi boost

I think this will be more helpful *grins*

I should of done a complete overhaul of my engine but only drive him gently on the highway. Nothing very taxing to the engine. You would be better off and save up some money and do an overhaul while the engine is out of the car.
There is more to it than has the engine been abused. Seals dry out and parts get old. So if you want to do extreme things, you need a "fresh" engine.

Tags
engine problems