Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-27-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road
Default Rushing water sound on cold started ups

Hey guys I have a new rebuild 7mge with about 2000 miles on it. So when I start my car on a cold start up I hear a rushing water sound. then a few mins later it stops. Also I found a leak on the bottom of my water pump could that cause this. Thanks
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

Is the rushing water sound kinda like a waterfall? If so, that's a sign of air in the cooling system. Usually a good long "burping" session can clear this up. Be sure when burping to get the nose of the car as high as possible.

And fix the leak, regardless of if it causes the problem you're noticing.
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

How do I Go about burping the system.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:03 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

It's discussed in the FAQ. I've never needed to do it but some people swear it's a must. It's not a Toyota standard procedure for the MKIII but it is for other vehicles (including the MR2, but that has a far more complex cooling system).

Removing the jiggle valve from the thermostat will help bleed the excess air more quickly with no ill side effect. Filling the coolant reservoir will help ensure no new air is introduced as the system is cooled (at least not from there).

You MUST fix the leak however you go about purging the extra air.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:28 AM   #5
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

I was just worried because I heard that a BHG can cause this. But I dont know how it could be a BHG because it's a new gasket and I had them torque the head bolts to 75lb. The head was shaved also
Old 02-28-2011, 03:03 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Any leak in the coolant system can cause this, not just a BHG.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:18 AM   #7
rjSupra
3" Exhaust

rjSupra is on a distinguished road
Default another coolant leak idea for you.

Hi there.
be real specific about where that coolant leak is. If it's clearly under the water pump and you're sure that's the leak - there you have it, replace the water pump. It's very very easy to do. An afternoon at most, 1 hour if you're fast maybe 2.

However, if it's 'around' that area, it could be several sources, but the one that is suggested a lot on this forum and was my problem I eventually tracked was the 90 degree hose underneath the thermostat which is right in that area - sort of a mysterious almost untrackable 'under' the water pump and 'behind it' just slightly towards the motor side. It's very hard to diagnose without taking out crap around it. That means unbolt the PS reservoir, remove bracket, probably take out the CPS to get more clearance. If you have tiny fingers you might be able to replace that hose without removing anything and it's got screw type hose clamps that are aligned the right way to get out, but I wouldn't bet on that. My personal experience caused me fits, and my car blew coolant all over like a whale spout erupting but only after I reached highway speeds and over 2500 rpms (I guess it had to build up enough pressure to spit it out of the small leak).

Hope that helps somewhat. I do have a link about my repair if you want to read more.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:59 AM   #8
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

The water pump is new and all the hose r also and yes it's coming from the water pumps gasket. when they rebuild my motor they used RTV and not the gasket I guess he didn't wait a few mins to let the RTV set up.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:09 AM   #9
rjSupra
3" Exhaust

rjSupra is on a distinguished road

Do you mean he didn't use a gasket at all? Or that the RTV wasn't allowed to set right? No gasket is like crazy stupid I think, (although I am no expert). All the repair manuals, TSRM, etc all specifically point out you need a gasket and to put a new one in. If it were my car, and there was no gasket, I would do it myself, removed new pump, put in gasket, and be happy. I am not kidding, the job is very very easy, not like putting a water pump in my Acura Integra which is a little like hell on earth.

I replaced my '88 Supra's, which came with the gasket in the box (from Advanced Auto). I did not have to order one separate. And I did not use RTV sealant, just put it in dry, I didn't have any RTV sealant with me as my car was broken down on the road parked illegally overnight in a sketchy city. I also probably over torqued the bolts and nuts and likely stripped one or two. But it's not been leaking so that's good.