Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-16-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
Rob1
3" Exhaust

Rob1 is on a distinguished road
Default Dirty oil but looks clean???

Sorry i know i have been asking different questions almost everyday, but here is the next one,

I checked the oil in my 89 turbo supra, and the oil was so clean i could just barely see it on the dip stick. but i had a leak, and that oil was black as night. So i changed it and the oil in the pan was very black. but on the stick still extreamly clear

How is this possible??
Old 02-16-2011, 01:58 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

You wouldn't happen to have a GE dipstick would you? They're a lot shorter and won't even reach into the pan.

Also, keep in mind that the darkness depends on the volume... a pan full of oil is always going to be MUCH darker than a couple drops. If the oil is simply caramel colored then it will still look pretty clear on the dipstick.

Otherwise you could have an irregular blockage preventing the dipstick and a small sample of uncirculated oil from mixing with the general pool.... pretty unlikely.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:21 AM   #3
Rob1
3" Exhaust

ya know i guess a non turbo dipstick could be the culprit and the oil im seeing on the stick could just be exess on the dip stick tube to the oil pan i guess, that would explain how hard it is to see because i can see oil on it but its like clear almost not even caramel lol
Old 02-16-2011, 04:15 AM   #4
Rob1
3" Exhaust

i thought i had a turbo dip stick in my garage, but thats a negative lol.

the dip stick in my car now is round all the wat to the tip and i think the ge dip stick is flat is it not? i cant remember from my old one.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
ahruizguerra
Stock

ahruizguerra is on a distinguished road

When you drained the oil, did you see any sludge (black gel)????
ahruizguerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
Rob1
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahruizguerra View Post
When you drained the oil, did you see any sludge (black gel)????

Not that i could tell all just looked like oil that needed to be changed
Old 02-17-2011, 02:19 AM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Don't change you oil based on looks.... just because it's dark doesn't mean it's bad. You can actually cause problems with some oil formulations by changing too frequently... and you may just be wasting money you could otherwise be saving for upgrades.

Getting your oil tested will let you know just how little you really do know bout oil and also what the lab finds in it will let you know (with scary accuracy) just what is about to fail in the engine.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 02-17-2011, 04:19 AM   #8
Rob1
3" Exhaust

well i always change the oil when i buy a new car so i know how many miles on the oil change for sure. but getting it tested is not a bad idea. but i still cant figure out why oil on dip stick is so clean i think im going to pull the pan and figure out whats going on before it potentialy costs me my motor.

i need to any way cuz i want to know what the previous owner had is the bottom end. Any way to pull pan without pulling motor and trans?

and also where can you get replacment oil squirters? and anyone know how much they cost? if i pull the pan i will probly replace them just to be safe i doubt anyone else has.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:27 AM   #9
ahruizguerra
Stock

ahruizguerra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1 View Post
well i always change the oil when i buy a new car so i know how many miles on the oil change for sure. but getting it tested is not a bad idea. but i still cant figure out why oil on dip stick is so clean i think im going to pull the pan and figure out whats going on before it potentialy costs me my motor.

i need to any way cuz i want to know what the previous owner had is the bottom end. Any way to pull pan without pulling motor and trans?

and also where can you get replacment oil squirters? and anyone know how much they cost? if i pull the pan i will probly replace them just to be safe i doubt anyone else has.

That's a good idea. When I replaced the head gasket, I decided to replace the piston rings and connecting rod bearing, so I had to removed the pan. I was impressed how much gulk i had inside my pan, between the metal plate. It took me HOURS to clean it.
ahruizguerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:54 AM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

I don't recommend pulling the pan without pulling the engine... it's just as much work to pull the engine and you've got so very little room to work and inspect things that it just isn't worth it.

As for making sure the dipstick's inlet is clear get about 4' of 1/8" aircraft cable and SLOWLY feed it in.... Work it in and out, so 2" in and then pull back 1"... so you know it's not going to get hung up.

I don't think it's a clean on the dipstick as you perceive though.

Squirters are only available through Toyota parts dealers as far as I know. I'd try Champion Toyota out of Texas. www.toyotaworld.com

Tip Jar --->