Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 01-16-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
Anthonydi
Stock

Anthonydi is on a distinguished road
Default What do I need to hit 400 whp?

Hey guys I have had my 1988 supra turbo for almost two years now and I finally have some money to start building it up. I am currently planning to order a hks mhg, a blitz sus air cleaner kit, a bic 3 in ddp, a 3 in high flow cat, a hks 3 in drager exhaust, a greddy profec b spec 2 boost controller, a fmic kit from driftmotion as well as sending my turbo to driftmotion to be rebuilt with a 57 trim compressor wheel. Soon after this I also plan to put in a lexus afm, 550cc injectors, a walbro fuel pump, and an apexi afc neo. What else do I need in order to get about 400 whp?
Anthonydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:56 PM   #2
MOODANRB
Stock

MOODANRB is on a distinguished road

A fuel pressure regulator should help if ur going to get a walbro fuel pump driftmotion should have one make sure its the kit
MOODANRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
907mge
20psi boost

907mge is on a distinguished road

Don't forget the arp head studs and are you rebuilding the motor also?
907mge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
Anthonydi
Stock

Yeah I am also planning on an aeromotive fpr and arp head studs. Just forgot to put them down
Old 01-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
turbonicsperformance
3" Exhaust

turbonicsperformance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonydi View Post
Hey guys I have had my 1988 supra turbo for almost two years now and I finally have some money to start building it up. I am currently planning to order a hks mhg, a blitz sus air cleaner kit, a bic 3 in ddp, a 3 in high flow cat, a hks 3 in drager exhaust, a greddy profec b spec 2 boost controller, a fmic kit from driftmotion as well as sending my turbo to driftmotion to be rebuilt with a 57 trim compressor wheel. Soon after this I also plan to put in a lexus afm, 550cc injectors, a walbro fuel pump, and an apexi afc neo. What else do I need in order to get about 400 whp?
save yourself the trouble and cash and just get a t3 t4 header and run a larger turbo 400hp isnt all that unreasonable and should be able to be obtained easily instead of spending the cash on the hks exhaust have a muffler shop do your exhaust and spend the money else where or even do it yourself rather than 500 on an exhaust spend 100 on pipe and 200 on a welder that you will end up wanting down the road the afc neo will be very helpful as well as the larger injectors i build my own dps all the time for very little money as well as the rest of the exhaust i have a lexus afm along with a short air ram and stock fmic with hard pipes and 3 inch exhaust no boost control and i hit ~10 11 psi all day long on the stock ct26 a 60-70 trim t4 turbo will run you around 400 bucks and you will have the capability 450 500hp with the right injector setup and tune just take time research with a turbo application a little bit of money can go a long long way
to get 400 hp you should be good with
3 inch turbo back exhaust with the right muffler
header and turbo or just your rebuilt turbo search ebay a header is like 150
afc neo
fuel psi reg
fuel pump
injectors (no need to buy new if you want to save some cash just soak them in atf when you get them)
short air ram and lexus afm
you will want a wideband gauge just to be sure you dont screw anything up and it will helo with tuning you neo
fmic kit
metal hg
arp studs
you should be at or above 400hp with this if you feel the need you could also get cheap hp with a meth injection kit dont forget to upgrade your plug wires and get the correct plugs very important ive seen the right plugs give an extra 50hp and the stock ones arent necessarily right depending on the fuel you run with a meth kit or 100+ octane c16/18 etc you want 1 step colder
92 miata 7mgte swap forged pistons,studded mhg, 3 inch dp with a glass pack,blowthrough MAF-T,550cc inj, act stage 2 clutch, fmic kit, greddy rs, full wire tuck, rx7 lsd rear with 4.10s. 15psi "ct26-A"??(waiting on dyno #s) if anyone knows whats up with my turbo let me know it has a larger comp wheel nicer machining and 6 dual fins rather than 5? its confusing and keep finding too much contradicting info. would LLLLLOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEE a compressor map
turbonicsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:30 AM   #6
Anthonydi
Stock

Now I already have a bolt on 3 in downpipe and I assume it is made for the ct26. Would that work on a t4 if I went that path or should it work with any turbo. I've also thought about methanol injection but im not sure how good that would be for my engine with the current mileage on the car.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

first thing to do when adding more power is to make sure the engine is up for it.
seals, gasket. pistons, o rings. bearings, forged internals.

these aren't just words that we throw around, they are life and death of an engine.

throw in a thermostat controlled fan to keep things cool. and hey if your gonna be playing with your AFR.. get an AFR gauge

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
turbonicsperformance
3" Exhaust

yes def a wideband gauge and no that dp probably wont fit a t4 turbo but could be easily modded to fit more than liklely just remove the flange and weld on whatever flang you need
and when you said your planning to up the power how many miles do you have on your car? if you have more than 100k on your engine then REBUILD it dont just up the power that much without freshening it up also get a real oil psi gauge once you put the money into your engine its not worth the extra 30 bucks to trust the factory gauge go thoughr the engine take your time and replace the bearings seals gaskets orings piston rings if not pistons themselves hone the cylinders if not bore them and have the block checked with a GOOD straightedge if not just machined to begin with
92 miata 7mgte swap forged pistons,studded mhg, 3 inch dp with a glass pack,blowthrough MAF-T,550cc inj, act stage 2 clutch, fmic kit, greddy rs, full wire tuck, rx7 lsd rear with 4.10s. 15psi "ct26-A"??(waiting on dyno #s) if anyone knows whats up with my turbo let me know it has a larger comp wheel nicer machining and 6 dual fins rather than 5? its confusing and keep finding too much contradicting info. would LLLLLOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEE a compressor map
Old 01-23-2011, 05:09 AM   #9
Anthonydi
Stock

Yeah the first thing I ever did to the car aftermarket was I installed an aem uego, as well as a bigger boost and water temp gauge. As far as the mileage goes it currently has 160xxx. I didnt put it on the list but before I up the hp at all I plan to replace all gaskets, seals, hoses, vacum lines, etc. Im not upping the hp at all till I know the engine can handle it I just didnt put it down cause I figured it was common sense lol. What I meant about the methanol injection kit is from my understanding isnt that bad for the internals. Like wont it burn them up or am I far off I dont know alot about methanol injection
Old 01-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
turbonicsperformance
3" Exhaust

no meth injection is a good thing basically if you run meth with 93 octane its like running c16 or ~116 octane fuel it only comes on at a set boost level and allows you to run more advance in your timing
and when you make sure your engine can hold the power it would be a good idea to replace bearings and piston ring and have the cylinders honed itd be best to go with a better set of pistons also but the rods should be fine