Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 01-29-2011, 05:08 AM   #1
DamonDread
Stock

DamonDread is on a distinguished road
Default Noobert from Florida

New to the forums new to the car
Just purchased an 87 supra turbo manual with the targa top
220k miles with a recent rebuild.
Runs and drives strong plus rust free!
Needs some work for sure, gonna be taking real good care of her. Plan on keeping it mostly stock unless the modding bug hits me.
First this is basic tune up then shocks. Most definatly shocks! Might keep it oem, but might do a nice strut spring combo havnt decided yet. Cant wait to get my hands dirty!

1987 Supra Turbo Targa Top Manual
1995 240sx Manual
1994 Honda Accord Station Wagan Auto
1994 Honda Civic 3d Manual
DamonDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

That kind of mileage and age, you're in for some work... but you seem well aware. Welcome to the forum!

There aren't many options if you're looking to keep the TEMS system. If not then there are a lot of options out there. There's been a lot of discussion on this in the past and if you do a search you should find a lot.

Good luck with the Supra!

Oh, and a grey interior??? WOW, I don't think I've ever seen a maroon MKIII that didn't have a maroon interior. I thoroughly dislike red and blue interiors.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
DamonDread
Stock

Thanks for the welcome. I definatly have my work cut out for me on this one! I have a bit of experience with cars, but i have a feeling this beauty is gonna be teaching me a few lessons LMAO. Luckily for me I know a couple really good mechanics for when i get stuck. Definatly gonna search for lots of stuff. As in other forums i try not to post questions that have been answered multiple times already.

Things that need immediate attention are...
Tune up
Oil change
Shocks (rides like a damn 70s cadillac)
brakes are a tad mushy
oh and no brake lights (quite a suprise this morning and a little scarey)

This car is an awesome momento of USDM Toyota history and is well worth the trouble IMO. Of course we will see how i feel after i get into her LOL.

1995 240sx Manual
Old 01-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget bushings... I guarantee you that if they're original they're accounting for a large amount of the slop you're feeling in the suspension.

I do love them. I couldn't keep mine as a daily driver any more so I sold it to a friend and went with something a little newer and with a better rep for being solid... and also something that I've owned in the past. But I do still take my former MKIII for a spin every now and then.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
DamonDread
Stock

I think i read somewhere you ditched your TEMS for a strut spring combo? Did this make it a more enjoyable daily for you?

1995 240sx Manual
Old 01-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

No, my car wasn't equipped with TEMS at all. It's pretty common for people to ditch the TEMS though. I've driven a few MKIII's with both new and old shocks on the TEMS system and I must say that when new it's a pretty nice feature... but if I lived in an area with better roads I'd still got for a more predictable setup. Some mildly aggressive, progressive rate springs and some good dampers. My setup was Eibach springs with KYB G-2 dampers... The KYB's cost less then the Tokico blue dampers and have better reliability. If you're going to keep the TEMS I think the only damper that's still available that's compatible is the Tokico Illumina II; They're supposed to be fairly reliable and perform well in my opinion.

There are a lot of options out there and a number of things to consider. Do some research and you should be able to decide without a lot of headache.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
DamonDread
Stock

Thanks CRE! I did a bit of searching last night and prob just gonna go with OEM replacements and new bushings for now. I poked around with it last night a little and the TEMS system seems to be functioning properly.

1995 240sx Manual
Old 01-31-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
dmp316
Stock

dmp316 is on a distinguished road

Nice Mk3 man. i am looking into getting one also and thanks Cre for some info on the TEMS. I was wondering about the same question as Damon asked. I guess i am going to be still on the hunt for a nice MK3
dmp316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:44 PM   #9
DamonDread
Stock

I think I found the problem with the brake lights. I've done all the basics already fuses, bulbs, and testing the system. I jumped the stoplamp switch and the brake lights came on so Im figuring i fried the switch. Gonna pick one up tomorrow.

1995 240sx Manual