Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 10-22-2010, 06:05 AM   #1
cfurlan
Intake

cfurlan is on a distinguished road
Default 7mgte overheated after thermostat installed...bhg

Well I just bought the car two days ago and the person had paperwork for the engine stating it was rebuilt with je pistons, arp studs, mhg, and the head was machined and had a 3 angle valve job. I thought it was a good deal since it only had 700 miles on the engine. I then drove it 200 miles home with no problems. I noticed there was a coolant leak around the thermostat housing so I took it apart and there was no rtv or thermostat just metal to metal. So then I replaced it with one from autozone. Then yesterday I took it on a 20 min drive and it started to overheat. I immediately shut it off. I then limped it home. There was no coolant in the engine or radiator at all after it overheated. The rear off the engine was smoking a little and i notice oil leaking from between the engine and transmission, rear main? Idk. I'm tearing the engine out in the morning but this is my first toyota engine. If anyone has any pointers or suggestions to look at please let me know. I plan on just replacing all the gaskets and maybe the rod bearings. Does anyone know a good guide with pictures on a tear down beside haynes or TSRM? Also would it be a bad idea to just replace the metal head gasket with a felpro type gasket? I don't want to have to have it re-machined and try to guess what size I'd need. I'm not planning on going over 300 hp or 12 psi. Thanks
cfurlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:29 AM   #2
bioskyline
3" Exhaust

bioskyline is on a distinguished road

before you tear it appart id take the thermostat out and fill with collant and let it run. ive had faulty thermostats before, and they didnt open. but check for collant leaks while running. also do a compression test

as for the oil in the back smoking, could be a bad valve cover gasket leaking onto the egr pipe and down the side of the block/tranny on the metal sheild plate.

the m series of engine is pretty resistant to most of the abuse we throw at it.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
cfurlan
Intake

Well I have it half torn out now, and it was a lot of oil not just a little. I ordered a complete gasket set so I am at least going to change all of the seals. I will look at the back of the valve covers first though to see if thats what it was. Thanks
Old 10-23-2010, 01:10 AM   #4
windo67
Stock

windo67 is on a distinguished road
Default headgasket

I can't see how it could be the head gasket if the engine was just rebuilt. They didn't put a thermostat back in it for some reason. My experience with Supras is that damn headgasket, but Toyota says they aren't a problem. I've blown two and I don't abuse my car. I would do the dye method if I was having my headgasket checked.
windo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:35 AM   #5
cfurlan
Intake

Well I got it torn out today and it doesn't appear to be the head gasket. I will know more tomorrow night when I tear the head down. I'm still trying to find where the oil was leaking really bad. It is from the rear and does not appear to be the rear main yet or the valve cover gaskets. Can oil leak out the egr cover? The po also did not use gaskets on everything, mostly just rtv and it appears he that he applied it and torqued the bolts right away causing it not to seal correctly. I also noticed that the reason I lost all the coolant was because the plugged/capped off a coolant line on the back pass side of the engine that ended up splitting. Does anyone know where the original hose was suppose to go? I'll try to load some pictures tomorrow. Thanks
Old 10-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Bill UK
AEM EMS

Bill UK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfurlan View Post
I also noticed that the reason I lost all the coolant was because the plugged/capped off a coolant line on the back pass side of the engine that ended up splitting. Does anyone know where the original hose was suppose to go? I'll try to load some pictures tomorrow. Thanks
90339-16001 is a rubber cap; (later models are metal). No oil should be coming from the EGR cooler cover, just combustion (exhaust) gases inside.

Bill UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
cfurlan
Intake

That's what it was. Now I just have to figure out where the oil was coming from. It almost looked like it was around the intake towards the back of the engine?
Old 10-24-2010, 05:55 AM   #8
cfurlan
Intake

Well I got the whole engine tore down today. Pulled out Main and rod bearings and they were already shot after 800 miles. Also found the cause to the ticking noise. It was the intake cam not being tightened down all the way. Some of the bolts were backed out so far they were hitting the valve cover. Also got the block primed and painted. Bearings will be in Monday and the gasket set should be in by Tue or Wed. I labeled everything so hopefully I will be able to get it back together. Wish me luck
Old 10-24-2010, 06:28 AM   #9
bioskyline
3" Exhaust

bioskyline is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfurlan View Post
Well I got the whole engine tore down today. Pulled out Main and rod bearings and they were already shot after 800 miles. Also found the cause to the ticking noise. It was the intake cam not being tightened down all the way. Some of the bolts were backed out so far they were hitting the valve cover. Also got the block primed and painted. Bearings will be in Monday and the gasket set should be in by Tue or Wed. I labeled everything so hopefully I will be able to get it back together. Wish me luck
thats some sloopy ass work
Old 10-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
cfurlan
Intake

Does anyone know what this oil line is supposed to hooked up to that is coming out the side of the block?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0106.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	3547