Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-25-2010, 11:27 PM   #1
kingison
Intake

kingison is on a distinguished road
Default Rebuilt 7mGE with factory parts

I bought my mkIII without doing all the research I should have. It had 194000 on an engine that was fully rebuilt at 134000. The seals look good. Absolutely no seepage at all. But the mechanic who did it worked for Toyota, and not only did he use toyota parts, he torqued everything to Toyota specs.

Am I in trouble with the head gasket. I have seen it needed to have a 75 torque and he said that was not necessary. He used a toyota gasket and torqued to factory spec.

Thoughts?
kingison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Do not post in the FAQ sections, they will not be displayed until a moderator notices your error and moves it.

As for the torque spec, well, from the factory it lasted 100K to 150K miles... now if the engine were bone stock AND still had a COMPLETELY flat and smooth head and block AND you hadn't shaved either causing a raise in compression AND no modifications to increase power output... it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect the replacement to last just as long. Me, I'd get it all shaved down, get an aftermarket HG of the correct thickness to keep the stock compression level or lower it a bit and use a higher torque value. If he just pulled everything and dropped on a new HG (not making sure head and block were not warped and level) you're hosed because I guarantee you it isn't.

I've heard that Toyota did issue a TSB on the torque value requiring a higher value but I haven't looked for it myself.. maybe I'll check sometime this weekend, but I hate taking work home.

Toyota mechanic means NOTHING... I've known some who were brilliant and some who were not better than trained monkeys who could look at pictures (and read a couple of words)... it kill me how often people think this is a good thing to mention or that it means anything was done right.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:29 AM   #3
kingison
Intake

Yeah the engine is bone stock. I think the only thing I may consider is a cold air intake, but I am happy with the engine for what it is, aside from my other thread indicating my dislike for the auto tranny.

The HG was not the only thing changed. The timing belt was serviced and apparently the cylinder heads were conditioned. I am not sure if a valve job was done. I dont know the correct terminology but I got receipts on everything. The engine seems to run pretty well, it's just that I saw it has HG issues and wanted to make sure I did not need to keep an eye on it since Toyota parts were used, and he did not torque past factory specs as many forums indicate needs to be done.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:27 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

re-read my post, you're not paying attention...
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:46 AM   #5
kingison
Intake

Yeah maybe I am a little lost. I'm not a mechanic. I don't know what you mean by shaved down exactly. The cylinder heads? I believe they were.

I think what you are saying is a factory gasket is okay as long as the inside of the engine was essentially new.

Okay, what would be an estimated cost to rebuild the engine as you suggest with an aftermarket gasket? And if I stayed the way it is and the gasket blew, what are the ramifications?