Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-13-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
ochowdero
12psi boost

ochowdero is on a distinguished road
Default air filter! great blog i think

ok heres the rundown..
i wanted to make my own CAI..
i know this is possible.. i couldnt remove the air box to even change the filter(still dont know how to do so) ill figure it out haha...
BUT!
i was reading post about it just to get an idea and i came across this.

http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...-possible.html

this gave me everything i need to know.. included a very good(blog?) on them
heres the link to that,

http://www.planetsoarer.com/resonator/resonator.html

^^^^ this will tell you everything about the intake, resonator and why short rams or CAI dont do much effect on a N/A supra...

now to my question..
i was gonna go out and buy pipes and clamps for me to put a CAI together but what i was gonna do til i got money to do so, was just take the air box and remove that, buy a cone filter and build a custom box around the cone filter and attach a bendable storm pipe to a custom hole in my new airbox(tightly fitted by the way) and place the end piping just under the headlight or a tad lower with a mesh screen to keep less dirt and crap out, so i keep everything stock but still bring in colder air..

would this be better then a aftermarket cold air intake?
im all for performance and best way to do so(cheap way!!) is to bring in colder air..but those after market ones take out the resonator and now i dont want to do that... so would this work?
ochowdero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:12 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Good (or Bad) God you need to learn how to f#$%ing search.... Wanna guess how many times all of this has been discussed here in the past?

A tightly boxed in cone filter isn't going to flow any better then the stock box... probably worse due the the incredible amount of turbulence you're introducing... unless the cone filter really is a true CONE. Just leave the stock air box in and use a TOYOTA filter, NOT FRAM, and you'll be getting as good of flow as a N/A is capable of anyway... and the stock setup is CAI too.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:23 AM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, I overreacted a bit. You did find a good amount about what you're asking about.... the rest has been covered to a degree but I've pretty much recapped in my rant above.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 09-13-2010, 02:30 AM   #4
ochowdero
12psi boost

well sheesh
ive been searching,
hence all that mumbo jumbo above my question..
i know about the cone filters and how there bad..some atleast
when i said tightly fitted i meant the pipe going down below my headlightjust like the stock air box, just using a different filter and lowering it alil more..

i would like some credit..not my best formed question.. as to see if my idea is initially just like AM cold air, or not..
all i wanted to know was if id gain any hp
even if its 2 lol

thats all, i wrote alot to just clarify my question and what i was doing so all you had to basically say was "no, its a CAI already, should just leave the stock air box...and youll be good"

thanks cre..
ill keep everything the same stock air box and all, and just lower it a tad just to get alil more cold air, only cuz it seems to be really hot under my hood.

sorry for my lack of searching........
Old 09-13-2010, 02:37 AM   #5
ochowdero
12psi boost

oh and i know i wont gain hp..
but id like that

oh and its cool bro,
all in all you know more about this then i do.
im just trying to learn as much as i can..so i dont have to ask you know?

more savvy about cars then when i first joined this forum
Old 09-13-2010, 03:13 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

I already apologized. That's all you get. I don't be for forgiveness unless there's blood on my hands and she was REALLY cute.... or it was someone's puppy.

Tip Jar --->
Old 09-13-2010, 03:20 AM   #7
ochowdero
12psi boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
I already apologized. That's all you get. I don't be for forgiveness unless there's blood on my hands and she was REALLY cute.... or it was someone's puppy.
i dont need forgiveness..
i need answers
thanks i got them, searched alil more and found out that they can increase alil hp
but not much to really recognize
gonna soon, post pics on what i did..when i get the chance
Old 09-13-2010, 04:44 AM   #8
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

first off the stock air box is a cold air intake..
and it works remarkably well..
you see all these guys running around with this huge air filter in the engine bay.. does nothing but reduce power. hot turbulent air =s hp loss

the stock air box is designed well. yea if you take it off and yadda yadda w/e..

walks away mumbling.. something something fuck this shit...

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:51 AM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Just build an L shaped wall that the intake runs through (as shown in a number of threads on here) and you may call it done. If you want you may run a flexible dryer hose or some vinyl rain gutter from the foglight hole (yep, gotta lose the foglight) up to the opening to your boxed in area. The hose doesn't do anything if it's just run down behind the foglight.

Tip Jar --->
Old 09-13-2010, 05:38 AM   #10
ochowdero
12psi boost

i checked it out and got a great idea...

l shape box..heat wrapped..with a vinyl hose going to this mysterious vent i found next to the fog light..if it doesnt fit there..ill scrap the idea and start over i know theres a way to increase more cold air..
like i said under my hood its hotter then normal..cali sun has slammed down the car at 123 degrees
idk
just an idea, ill run a test on air flow at my mechanics shop and see if it changed a difference
thanks for the info