Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-20-2010, 04:44 AM   #21
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green7mgte View Post
well I changed the valve cover seals. and put the oil pan gasket under the 14mm bolts. still have oil pooling in 5 n 6 cylinder well. (closest to firewall) but don't see any trace from the sides of the well. the HG was replaced about 4 or 5 years ago.
thank you. very insightful.. truly. I was at a stand still with this. just watching it leak.
starting with the timing cover packing. is it difficult to swap? something I can do in my own garage?

Ok, hang on.... is this leaking into the plug galley or down the side or the engine? Is the leak toward the front or the middle or rear? Are we only talking about one leak? Did you happen to overtorque the valve cover screws? They used screws for a reason... should only be at 22 INCH lbs. Have you checked the valve covers for warpage? Have you pulled the galley cover and made sure the four giant allen bolts which secure it are well sealed?

The timing cover packing is the packing you put down before you set the HG on the block deck and then lower the head... if you miss it or you put it on too thin it WILL leak... usually into the timing belt cavity and down the front driver's side of the engine. The easy way to fix it.... pull the head again. I've done it another way and it was miserable and when I tore the engine down for my rebuild later on I found that it did some minor damage here and there.... but it didn't leak.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #22
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Is the leak toward the front or the middle or rear?
towards the front.

as for the spark plug galley. yes i replaced the valve covers. no they are not over torqued. I had the screws back in for now. I did remove and put in oil pan plug gaskets under the 14mm bolts holding on the valve covers. but not to the ones inside the galley.
i was addressing 2 leaks. one on the intake side towards the front. and the one in the galley. sorry I just lumped it all together there. my mistake.
I can not determine if the intake side leak is coming from below the lower plenum or just under the upper but i can clearly see it pooling and dripping. just cant locate the source. the entire underneath twords the front on the intake side is coated with oil. .. defiantly explains my 1qt monthly leak.

I also have smoking on the turbo side of the engine near my cps. I have the gasket and O ring sitting in my garage but havent found time to replace that yet. I know im needing to rebuild my 140k engine. but just havent the time or another DD atm. ;( so i have to troubleshoot and repair as problems arise. but other than the mysterious oil leak from the depths of my block. all is really well.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Last edited by Green7mgte; 09-21-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #23
Ranma
12psi boost

Ranma is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry baka caruma-jin

Brought it back to Riverside Toyota in Tulsa, after extensive testing they discovered the new power steering pump, they installed was leaking oil. Also the cam shaft covers which they replace were leaking. The cars high speed vibration is being caused by a bad U joint. Funny I had paid to replace both of them and that is in writing. They say the drive shaft will go to a special shop to get fixed. All at their cost, they have had my car 2 weeks this time. I am pissed! Wonder if she will be ok after their work?
They still have her
Old 09-27-2010, 04:45 AM   #24
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

i hope someone looses their jobs over that.. do it right the first time.

Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ

Old 09-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #25
Ranma
12psi boost

They still have her and have not returned my phone call. It is almost 3 weeks now. At this rate I am going to get so mad and will turn into the Hulk!
Old 10-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #26
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

what does the owner of the dealership have to say about it?

Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ

Old 10-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #27
Ranma
12psi boost

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green7mgte View Post
what does the owner of the dealership have to say about it?
They have fixed the oil leaks, yea the crowd goes wild. It seems the seals were installed incorrectly. However the car still has a vibration at about the 55mph 3300 rpm range. Gee Ranma, the mechanic is not sure what the problem could be.... They have not sent the drive shaft back to the shop and it is on hold to have them check the rear axle. Yes the vibration is coming from just behind the seat.
The weather is perfect and I can be driving her around with the targa top off. You think they are professionals...
Old 10-06-2010, 04:26 PM   #28
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

You stated "you would think the dealership would get it right". Alas... I have NEVER had that experience. lol.

I took my car in for a simple service and to get the engine looked over top to bottom and came out with a cracked cover, 3 vacuum hoses disconnected and a coolant line (runs to the turbo) split on the way home. Luckily, I was able to fix everything myself, but I have never found a dealership that has done anything right for me yet.

I ask around.. find a shop that people say does excellent work, research what I want done, and then tell them to do it (along with asking them how they are going to go about it). Then I tell them any change in the way I want them to do it (there are better ways in some cases then what the TSRM will offer up). I find the Supra forums (there are 3 I use) to be totally invaluable because all of us run into the same problems and some of the members are very knowledgable. They answers I get in the forums are usually always more than correct. : )
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #29
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

i agree. im friends with acouple "certified techs" one being a very close buddy of mine. I walked into the dealership and he was holding some sort of plastic dash molding. im like what are you doing? and he replys. "oh i broke this fucking piece of dash molding now im trying to glue it back together." oh and don't get me started on the OIL tech guys that work at your neighborhood oil depot. those fuckers will put any shit in your car and charge you for the premium stuff. also had one break a oil cap off his mazda. its a push in / turn sorta deal. and they wrenched it off and broke the shit outa it. so yea. taking shit to a "dealer" cause there certified dosnt mean spit. If i were you I would leave them a very nasty review. even call the local news station..

Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ

Old 10-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #30
fantasma87
3" Exhaust

fantasma87 is on a distinguished road

man thats why when it comes to work on my car this is what I put on my mind, " I will try to fix it , take pictures of what I work on , look for info in the forums and at last if I can`t fix it , then I will call first and ask the mec if they come with the " I got to see the car , I will pray 100 Holy Marys and 150 Dear Father !!!!!! . take care supra friends . Q

ARMY STRONG !!

La fiebre Boricua Puerto Rico!!!
fantasma87 is offline   Reply With Quote