Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 08-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
supraluver4life
3" Exhaust

supraluver4life is on a distinguished road
Default Little Wideband Question

So heres a question that i truely cant find the answer to. My friend and i were wondering if one could install a wideband O2 sensor wire it in power wise and just have the signal wire go to the gauge, with no wideband controller in the setup and with nothin going to the ECU.

A little outta the blue but thank you anyway if you read and reply

oh and i picked up a bunch of O2 sensors at the junkyard when i was there one day. Is there anyway to tell just by looking at them that they are wideband?

"Not driving a car because its too nice, is like not fucking your gf so shes still tight for the next guy"

Last edited by supraluver4life; 08-16-2010 at 04:43 PM.
supraluver4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

no. the sensor requires a controller. no, you don't have to wire it into the ecu unless it's replacing the stock narrow band.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 08-17-2010 at 01:26 AM.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:40 AM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraluver4life View Post
oh and i picked up a bunch of O2 sensors at the junkyard when i was there one day. Is there anyway to tell just by looking at them that they are wideband?
Narrowband sensors usually only have 1 wire or 3 wires; Widebands have more... never seen one with fewer than 5 wires myself.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 08-17-2010, 03:03 AM   #4
supraluver4life
3" Exhaust

supraluver4life is on a distinguished road

alright i have about 3 with 4 wires (?) and i think i have two with 5 or 6 dont remember

"Not driving a car because its too nice, is like not fucking your gf so shes still tight for the next guy"
supraluver4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:56 AM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

So Google the part numbers or search for the specs of the cars they came from...

Besides.... they're not going to do you any good anyway. What do you imagine you'll be able to do with them?

Tip Jar --->
Old 08-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

eh. if there bosch you could probably find the version #.. than the corrasponding guage that fits that version and sell them.. possibily. I doubt any "wideband" sensor came off of something you found in a junk yard tho.. considering the unit costs about 200+. The person would take it back off and re- sell it..
happy hunting tho, post what you find

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
86.5supra
3" Exhaust

86.5supra is on a distinguished road

be carefull when installing a wideband system, just buy a kit and save yourself the headache. Then have someone who knows what they are doing install and tune. I know multiple people that have fried complete wireharness.
86.5supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

^^^ROLF.... riiight. that's rich.

Tip Jar --->
Old 08-18-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

wideband kit?
fried wireharnesses? fried 02 sensor from incorrect placement sounds more like it.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote