Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 08-08-2010, 05:52 AM   #1
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Supra Saiyan is on a distinguished road
Default Carbon Fiber Roof!!

I have never heard of it.. Seen it.. Etc.. You know the M3 2009 I believe has it.. You know!! CARBON FIBER ROOF!! So one of my project Supras just so happens to be a Sport roof.. I wonder if I could have someone put together a carbon fiber replacement. That way I could trim some weight (in a place I doubt it is needed since it is not connected to the car anyways) and get a cool look..

What do you think?? CARBON FIBER ROOF to replace my SPORT ROOF??

YES!!
Supra Saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:22 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

No weight to be saved at all... just get a hard top if weight is your primary concern. Someone in Colorado Springs had a one-off made (for a couple thousand dollars)..... the thing was still almost as heavy as a stock roof. But hey, if you've got the money to spend on the development and fabrication, go for it.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

targa tops arent all that heavy.. and the weight is a good thing.. drive the car with the top on.. than take it off. notice a difference? a tad wishy washy, car feels like somethings missing? yea its your roof.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green7mgte View Post
targa tops arent all that heavy.. and the weight is a good thing.. drive the car with the top on.. than take it off. notice a difference? a tad wishy washy, car feels like somethings missing? yea its your roof.
Ahh, I just wish is where all one piece. I hate that mine is a targa.. I just wanted something different that would do something more.. such as weight reduction. Though it would seem that it makes no difference. So it would end up being for looks only..
Old 08-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

yea i was flipping through my midwest motor catalog for corvets and they have clear targa tops for their cars..

wish we had a parts catalog like corvett does.. customized as all get out.

i love my targa top..

Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ

Old 08-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green7mgte View Post
yea i was flipping through my midwest motor catalog for corvets and they have clear targa tops for their cars..

wish we had a parts catalog like corvett does.. customized as all get out
Darn.. Wow, clear.. That would be weird.. ::Looks up as bird poops above::
Old 08-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

well clear smokey colored. you can see through it but offers protection from the sun like a sun roof / moon roof does.

Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ

Old 08-08-2010, 10:30 PM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

So put a sunroof in the targa.

It's possible to have a lighter targa top that's lighter than stock... CF or FB with an aluminum skeleton... it's just going to cost you a TON.

As for rigidity when the top is out, a lot of people have built X braces to mount in place of the roof piece for additional support.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 08-09-2010, 03:28 AM   #9
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

I seen a carbon fiber targa top on eBay and some other site for like 300-400$
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:37 AM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Link or DEATH.

Tip Jar --->