Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 07-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
batmmannn
12psi boost

batmmannn is on a distinguished road
Default Hopping right brakes

My passenger side brakes started hopping today, It feels like a warped rotor, but as I recall when I checked the brakes they were missing the wishbone wire clips that are supposed to be on there. They rattle over bumps so I figure I need to get a brake kit with those spring clips. Ordered one from Auto Zone for $16.00 it has the springs and the other parts for keeping the brake pads tight in there. The Dealer wants $36 just for the wishbone spring clips! Never can tell how the prices will run.

I am wondering if not having those clips in there could cause a bad rotor but more likely is allowing the pads to bind a bit on braking.

The clips weren't on there at all when I bought the car and the rotors felt fine till today other than chinging a bit over bumps. Just wondering what your thoughts are of the effects of not having those wishbone wire clips on there might be over the long run?

batmmannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

you're giving those clips too much credit, they don't duo much other than prevent squeeks. check your e brake hardware for proper adjustment and damage and loose parts.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
batmmannn
12psi boost

Default My Bad

Its the front passenger side brakes that are hopping. Feels like a warped front rotor on braking. I guess I wasn't clear on that. e brake locks the rear wheel correct?

Old 07-08-2010, 02:29 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Stop with the warped brake thing and read: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

Great, now that that's out of the way, you can try getting the rotors resurfaced; If you do be sure to properly bed it in when you reinstall it.

Also pull out the TSRM and inspect for play in the ball joints and tie rod. Check for excessive play in the bushings as well and check for play in the bearing.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 07-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

lol the first time i pulled my brakes off I said.. wtf are these.. and threw them away lol..
at $20 a rotor just buy new ones.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
batmmannn
12psi boost

Default Wow

Thats a lot to read there Cre, I read half of it. My rotors were heavy in Rust when I started bringing the car back. Anyway. It's $29 from Autozone for the rotor. I already have the new pads, and the hardware kit should be in today. I must be getting real picky cause I remember other cars I have that would do this and I would be like whatever!

Old 07-09-2010, 01:24 AM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green7mgte View Post
lol the first time i pulled my brakes off I said.. wtf are these.. and threw them away lol..
Dumbass....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green7mgte View Post
at $20 a rotor just buy new ones.
and.... Dumbass....

If you want to cheap out do it on the cosmetics.... hell do it on the engine... but NEVER on the brakes!!!

Tip Jar --->
Old 07-09-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

eh the clippy guards on my brakes arent an issue. and at around 20 to 30 dollars per rotor I wouldn't resurface it just buy a new one.

I wouldn't call that skimping exactly.
less rumble or vibration with the clips in yes. but not a safety issue.

you hurt my feelings

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:17 AM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Sorry man, but pads are cheap, what you're advising is going to cost more each time as you still have to replace the pads. $20 rotors are crap made from crap materials. For a gentle driver it's no big deal but for anyone who drives aggressively the inconsistencies in thermal distribution, poor machining and less than phenomenal heat dissipation all add up to a great potential for frequent problems or worse a serious failure when pressing them too hard. Pay the $100 ea and at least get Brembo OEM spec rotors... oh, and replace your pads before you trash them... they'll last you a VERY long time.

Tip Jar --->
Old 07-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #10
batmmannn
12psi boost

Default Funny Brakes

Yesterday the car was fine, go figure no hopping, probably the lack of clips or they get hot not sure but that is great advice on the brakes, I looked at some on line with more pistons in the calipers. They make a Big Brake Kit for our cars. Will those stop me if I drive off a cliff? Just kidding...lol