Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 06-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
milc80
Stock

milc80 is on a distinguished road
Default Need help identifying a part and thought on a miss at idle --WAS: newbie

hey whats up guys im new to the forum. i purchased an 88 supra turbo. i had to do little things here and there. I hav a couple of questions. what is the box in the trunk that looks like an ecm? its disconnected on my car and dont want to connect it cuz not sure what its for. my car also has a small misfire only @ idle is that normal? it drives good w/ no hesitation. If anyone can help i appreciate it.
milc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:29 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Hey newbie...

First off the FAQ is a place to search for answers to the most common questions we've seen here and decided to archive... it's not for general posting, so I've moved your thread to the parent group where it belongs.

Identifying a part is pretty hard without more specifics... hell, even knowing which side it's on can make a nice big difference but better yet would be the part number off of it or some photos.

No a miss at idle isn't normal. Start with checking for vacuum leaks, inspect spark plugs and wires.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:46 AM   #3
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

You may also want to peek at your sparkplug galley. If the car hasnt been well maintained you may find what I found... about 1-2 litres of oil sitting up there.. and expanded plug wires.. and shorting out.. Its not easy to get at if you dont know what to take off to get in there, but its not hard if you do it in a logical manner. (the galley is in between the two valve covers)
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
milc80
Stock

Default thx

thanks guys, i already changed spark plugs, wires and valve cover gasket. the dude i bought from also had the idle set at 1.5rpms which i beleive is high. i havent lowered it cuz im scared it mite shut off or something. but d miss is not that bad, cuz the rpms does not fluctuate. the electronic box is by the fuel pump side. it looks just like an ecm and it is disconected. how can i check for a vacuum leak? one more thing the car is awesome, the power feels good for an older car w/ turbo. what is the average gas mileage on it? so when i hav a question where do i go to ask for help or comment like this? but thanx again for ur help. every little bit helps.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
Grandavi
walbro fp

My Supra idles at about 600 rpm smoothly..

Look at the threads here.. tons of info...
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/supra-faq/

I personally wouldnt touch a car without the proper specs/information.. dont guess with a Supra.. do it right. Here is the TSRM
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/

Last edited by Grandavi; 06-25-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
milc80
Stock

Default the ecm box in the back

can anyone help me on this ecm lookin like thing in the trunk of the car on the far right, next 2 where the fuel pump assembly is? it is disconnected and i was wondering if i connect it back would there be a problem. unless its an amp or something? one more thing what is the gas mileage on these cars? anything would help
Old 06-26-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, thought we'd already gone over this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Identifying a part is pretty hard without more specifics... hell, even knowing which side it's on can make a nice big difference but better yet would be the part number off of it or some photos.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
Grandavi
walbro fp

If you got a camera.. take a pic and post it. PM me if you need help with posting it. Makes it almost instant for an answer with a photo...

CRE's telepathy is just not working! :P

Mileage varies from Supra to Supra and depends a lot on how you drive it. My MKIII basically cruises at 150 kph. (think thats 85 mph) with the RPMS at about 3200. So.. highway, I put it on cruise at 125 kph (about 70'ish MPH) and get pretty decent mileage (about 20-25 mpg). In the city though.. I get probably 15-18 mpg.. but its very hard just to cruise nicely.. the car wants to leap and roar... (I need better training)

Oh.. did you read the FAQs? I really recommend you take an hour or so and pour through it. A lot of stuff there is a good eyeopener if you are not very familiar with the car.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
milc80
Stock

thanx, ill do that. take a pic and post it. ill read that though. what r the simple upgrades to do on this car. i hate the muffler they put on it, its just too loud and wasnt done rite. its only a noisy muffler.lol. what do i have to get to make loud swish noise that i hear some cars do when they have turbo? sorry never had a turbo car. my g35 is stock and really dont wana do anything to it.