Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 06-20-2010, 04:44 AM   #1
Bodyguy
Stock

Bodyguy is on a distinguished road
Default Convert Auto to Manuel Trans......Anyone done it?

Hey guys,
I am brand new here and I do not own a supra. However my father-in-law does and he asked me to look into converting his 89 Supra turbo targa top into a manuel trans car. So that brings me here. I hope you can all help as I don't know a lot about the cars and what is possible. I am a bodyman by trade and have full access to a hoist and every tool you can imagine so that is not an issue. I want to know what we need to do the swap. Has anyone had success with it? Anytime I have ever spoken to a mechanic about converting a car to manuel from auto they always say don't do it, more trouble than its worth, etc,etc. But I have found through some other projects that it is a bit of a job but its not as bad as it seems and sometimes I think they say it cause they don't want to be asked to do it. lol. The only car I have seen have a problem was my buddies 89 T-bird. It would only start in neutral, thats it. This car is mint. It gets driven about twice a year and has less than 100,000 kms on it. Full leather, white, nice car. Thank you for all your input. Also budget is not necessarily an issue. So if there is an aftermarked trans out there that is a bit pricey but awesome then let me know cause its worth saving for in my opinion.Thanks again!
Bodyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
ochowdero
12psi boost

ochowdero is on a distinguished road
Default mmm yes, but no...

i just got done talking about this with some people on here..it is a really big deal, but if you got the money, hoist, tools and time, then go for it.

i was recommended to just find the same year car, but in 5 speed manual and just move all parts from the auto to the 5 speed, it saves money and time.

for my 1987 supra it will cost $1710 to do the full swap and it working fine..but its really recommended to just get a 5 speed and swap the auto parts over to there, (excluded the auto trans).

oh it is possible btw lol, and most mechanics i talked to said they would but not sure if itll run the same afterwards.. soo hoped this helped..
ochowdero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
reydio
Intake

reydio is on a distinguished road

It's not that hard, you will need a 5speed trans from a donor, R154 or W58.....recommend finding an R154(they are stronger and can handle more power). You will need all the associated lines for the clutch as well as the clutch master and slave. Finally the brake and clutch pedal from a donor. You can keep your current ECU, you will just need to bypass your neutral switch by jumping 2 wires. Also don't forget to go ahead and replace the clutch disk, pressure plate, etc. while your there.

If you can find a trans and can't find the rest of the parts, go to driftmotion.com. Aaron sells the clutch master, slave, brake pedals etc. for 5 speed conversion.

I forgot, you will also need the corresponding drive shaft for the trans you get.
reydio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
ochowdero
12psi boost

ochowdero is on a distinguished road

like i said
alot of parts...
should just get a 5speed without motor and in decent shape and move a/t to there.. easy im think about doing it
ochowdero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
wstanek
3" Exhaust

wstanek is on a distinguished road

R 154's are harder to find though and can be double to triple the price!
wstanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
Bodyguy
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ochowdero View Post
like i said
alot of parts...
should just get a 5speed without motor and in decent shape and move a/t to there.. easy im think about doing it
Thats not really an option because the car is in showroom condition and we want to keep the whole car......excluding the auto. lol. If you knew nothing of cars and this was in the showroom you would seriously think it was brand new. When the leather started to get a bit worn looking he had the interior re-done. The wheels have been re-finished and all of the weatherstriping replaced. It sits in a garage waiting for someone to drive it but he works to much and its not as much fun with an auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reydio View Post
It's not that hard, you will need a 5speed trans from a donor, R154 or W58.....recommend finding an R154(they are stronger and can handle more power). You will need all the associated lines for the clutch as well as the clutch master and slave. Finally the brake and clutch pedal from a donor. You can keep your current ECU, you will just need to bypass your neutral switch by jumping 2 wires. Also don't forget to go ahead and replace the clutch disk, pressure plate, etc. while your there.

If you can find a trans and can't find the rest of the parts, go to driftmotion.com. Aaron sells the clutch master, slave, brake pedals etc. for 5 speed conversion.

I forgot, you will also need the corresponding drive shaft for the trans you get.
Awesome man. Thanks alot. Thats what I was looking for. Excuse my ignorance but I am assuming the R154 would be the trans from a turbo or twin turbo car? Or is that the motor code?
Old 06-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
907mge
20psi boost

907mge is on a distinguished road

Personally if is in such good condtion I wouldn't mess with it. But if you where to do it it would be wise to either pay someone to do the swap or find someone who knows what to do to help you. Anything can be done for the right amount of time and money.
907mge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:33 AM   #8
Bodyguy
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907mge View Post
Personally if is in such good condtion I wouldn't mess with it. But if you where to do it it would be wise to either pay someone to do the swap or find someone who knows what to do to help you. Anything can be done for the right amount of time and money.
I can see your point but its time for that car to realize its potential. And I am not going in blind either. I have a buddy thats been a mechanic for almost 15 years who is along for the ride. I am smart enough to know that when you need to know something you ask the experts which in this case is you guys on the forums. You all have the same cars with varying levels of experience and levels of modifications. Chances are you know a lot more than the dude at toyota would about this car. You smash your car you come to me. I start to mess with a car I don't know about I come to you. I am pretty confident that with the combined knowledge you guys have on this site and others as well, that we can get this done pretty nice.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #9
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

I believe the R154 is for the Turbo and the W version is for the non turbo.
I think someone did an auto to manual in the forums.. will see if I can find the thread.

I think this is the one, although I think there is an older one I couldnt find...
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...anny-swap.html
and from long ago
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...to-manual.html

and.. I think this is the one I was thinking of...
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...onversion.html

Last edited by Grandavi; 06-22-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #10
CanadianBak'inSupra
Official hall monitor / search nazi - NO SOUP FOR YOU!

CanadianBak'inSupra is on a distinguished road

your going to need:
-5sped tranny (w58 or r154)
-clutch pedal
-clutch (entire clutch flywheel all that goes with)
-your going to need to jump the parking gear/ or the car will never start
-Clutch Master and Release cylinders!!!(needs the hardline that goes from master to release)
-possibly the cross member that goes under transmission
-break pedal assembly from a standard unless you want it in the way of the clutch!
-Pilot bearing and throw out bearings would be great time to replace!
-possibly a 5speed starter!!!

good luck should take you a while to find these parts!

0oh and your cruise control may not work after from jumping with the n/p switch!!!!
i have a w58 tranny up for sale! but im too lazy to ship it anywhere sry...