Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 06-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road
Default Gte swap

Hey guys I'm thinking of swaping out my ge in my 89 supra for a gte I found a 88 supra that is close to me that runs great but no title so the car is useless but for parts and motor so I was think of getting it and swaping it in to mine but I have heard that pre89's have a different ecu and wouldn't work good in 89+ also mine is a 5speed and the 88 is a auto so would I have to find a 89+ ecu and wiring hardness for it to work and also I have heard that pre89's have a different flywheel as well could I use the flywheel from my ge on the gte
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:04 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstanek View Post
there are other threads about this stuff read up!
Post something of value other than just "search" or don't reply. It doesn't help them and it's even worse for future users who do try to search and find nothing but posts which have nothing in them other than "search" for replies....

... there's no better way to completely neuter a good forum.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:14 AM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Sonyps307, you do have a LOT more reasearch to do from what I'm understnding of your post. NO year of the GE harness is compatible with most of the GTE electronics.... The pre89 GTE electronics are not compatible with 89+ GTE electronics (in many cases it's a matter of different harness connectors, but some components are quite different) and the same goes for the two revisions of GE electronics.

The GE's transmission is a W58, the Turbo's is a R154. The R154 is MUCH beefier. The w58 is lighter and shifts easier, but is nowhere near as robust. I recommend replacing the R154 if you're planning on pushing past 350... and even before that only run the W58 if it is in VERY good shape. Some people have run them as high as 450RWHP before they grenaded... but, the whole point is that they DID in the end die. Which flywheel you run depends on the transmission, not the year... same for the clutch.

You may use an engine harness and ECU from an auto on a manual transmission equipped vehicle, you merely need to bypass the neutral start switch... I think that's all... You cannot run an automatic equipped car on a manual transmission ECU though.

NOW, if you need more in depth information please search the forum for previous posts with info. Terms such as "engine swap" and "transmission swap" and "tranny swap" will surely get you some good results.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 06-04-2010, 05:59 AM   #4
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Which flywheel you run depends on the transmission, not the year... same for the clutch
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the pre89 7M's balanced externally and therefore required the flywheel to balance them, whereas the 89+ 7M's were balanced internally and had a neutrally balanced flywheel?
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:17 AM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

I'm confused or my explanation was confusing to others... you match the years AND the model to each other.. BUT it doesn't matter if you run a 89+ clutch and flywheel combo for a GTE on a pre89 GTE.

I hadn't considered mixing and matching the years, BUT looking it up the part numbers for the pressure plate and other clutch components for either revision have all been superceeded by the same part number... so I'm going to go with "no, it doesn't matter what year, as long as it's new." I didn't look up the flywheel... I've been looking up this stuff all day and I'm beat...

Tip Jar --->
Old 06-06-2010, 12:55 AM   #6
wstanek
3" Exhaust

wstanek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Post something of value other than just "search" or don't reply. It doesn't help them and it's even worse for future users who do try to search and find nothing but posts which have nothing in them other than "search" for replies....

... there's no better way to completely neuter a good forum.
i dint post nothing... haha sorry~
wstanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:14 AM   #7
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

It appears I was misinformed, the flywheels are the same for all revisions of N/A's, I assume the same is for turbo's.
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:52 AM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Yeah, BT, you got me worried about misinforming people on that subject too.... or well at least leaving them no better off than when they started. I guess the best advice is the usual: check the manual and keep common year parts together. I still didn't look up the R154's info... long day. It really wouldn't surprise me to see there was a big revision somewhere in there though, I just haven't seen it.

wstanek I swear man... half the time you post I'm ready to just delete it...

Tip Jar --->
Old 07-12-2010, 12:54 AM   #9
Conga1991
3" Exhaust

Conga1991 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sonyps307, you do have a LOT more reasearch to do from what I'm understnding of your post. NO year of the GE harness is compatible with most of the GTE electronics.... The pre89 GTE electronics are not compatible with 89+ GTE electronics (in many cases it's a matter of different harness connectors, but some components are quite different) and the same goes for the two revisions of GE electronics.

The GE's transmission is a W58, the Turbo's is a R154. The R154 is MUCH beefier. The w58 is lighter and shifts easier, but is nowhere near as robust. I recommend replacing the R154 if you're planning on pushing past 350... and even before that only run the W58 if it is in VERY good shape. Some people have run them as high as 450RWHP before they grenaded... but, the whole point is that they DID in the end die. Which flywheel you run depends on the transmission, not the year... same for the clutch.

You may use an engine harness and ECU from an auto on a manual transmission equipped vehicle, you merely need to bypass the neutral start switch... I think that's all... You cannot run an automatic equipped car on a manual transmission ECU though.

NOW, if you need more in depth information please search the forum for previous posts with info. Terms such as "engine swap" and "transmission swap" and "tranny swap" will surely get you some good results.

So you're saying you can use a automatic harness on a manual car with a manual ecu but you have to bypass the nuetral switch? how do you do that? also I have my harness all hooked up and left with a few plugs that dont have anything to plug into? the plugs are located under the intake plenum, two circular and two square, i know one is for abs (which I dont have and one for the speed sensor (im pretty sure it is).
Conga1991 is offline   Reply With Quote