Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 06-06-2010, 01:44 AM   #11
batmmannn
12psi boost

batmmannn is on a distinguished road
Default Head Gasket

Yeah I am wondering about my car still too, but I am not going a head gasket on mine till it proves itself out. I want to drive it a while first see what happens. Seems OK right now. Have already been advised to ditch the car if it needs a head gasket and it's not worth the effort, but that came from someone that has never driven a Supra.... Good thing I'm hard headed!

batmmannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #12
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmmannn View Post
Have already been advised to ditch the car if it needs a head gasket and it's not worth the effort
That's all I have to say about that..
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:42 AM   #13
batmmannn
12psi boost

Default Cre

Are you agreeing with that advice Cre? Not clear here on your reply. And if so what would be your reasons why? Thanks, Scott

Old 06-07-2010, 04:10 AM   #14
supra_rulz
3" Exhaust

supra_rulz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
You should get the oil tested by an oil analysis lab for fuel contamination and do a leak down test to see if new rings are merited.... Now's the time to do a rebuild if the engine needs it.

NEVER run a 1.2mm HG unless you are positive you want a sizeable increase in compression ratio... especially on a turbo equipped car and especially since you're going to have to have material shaved off the head and most likely the block deck to get everything smooth enough for a metal HG. The stock HG is 1.37mmm when compressed. Look at other manufacturers for more options in thickness. If you're completely sold on HKG Stopper HGs then remember that the head and block decks MUST be smoother than glass!!!
oh, ok. i will look into it then. and no, i'm not sold on the HKS, it just seems thats what alot of people use? i havent really started the full research yet. do you have any recomendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Just noticed this is posted in the completely wrong section... if you're unsure of the purpose of a forum please read it (at the top of any given forum's main window) before creating a thread.

Thread moved.
oh, sorry. lol

Quote:
Yeah I am wondering about my car still too, but I am not going a head gasket on mine till it proves itself out. I want to drive it a while first see what happens. Seems OK right now. Have already been advised to ditch the car if it needs a head gasket and it's not worth the effort, but that came from someone that has never driven a Supra.... Good thing I'm hard headed!
i totaly understand what your saying. my mechanic told me that too, and i'm just crossing my fingers that its not a cracked head or something more serious......
and same question to cre btw
supra_rulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:12 AM   #15
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

No, I wouldn't just ditch a car if it had a bad HG.... Perhaps if I wasn't remotely mechanically inclined it'd be good advice to follow, but myself, no way I'd walk on a car over just that.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 06-07-2010, 05:27 AM   #16
batmmannn
12psi boost

Default Walking away

I suppose a decision like that depends on the person. Just think how many classic cars got sent to the Junk Yard for even more fixable problems. Think back on the cars your friends or family ditched that would be a worth a lot right now. My Dad had a beautiful 68 Cadillac Eldorado. It made me ill when I came home and it had been sent to the junk yard. That car would be worth a lot of money right now. Or my 70 Camaro that I traded in for a Chevy Van, worth every penny of 8 grand now.

My Dad spent 1200 plus labor for a replacement motor for his Toyota Panel Truck 6 months ago. Now it has 40psi on cyclinder 5. Obviously he got FU%^KED. Now he is going to have the head done? another $800???

The truck is not worth more than $2400 in good running condition.

Why do we get attached to our cars? I have been guilty of that worse than most but am trying to change that. Thankfully though I did horde my ol runners now they are worth good money in parts.

I can't tell you how many people stop here and ask me if I want to make some money selling them my cars.... I ask how much for one of my cars? They say We pay $200 a car.... I look at them and just shake my head, they look at me like they are doing me a favor and I am crazy to say no then I just let them move on.

You can make $200.00 on just a plastic dash bevel on ebay if it is for the right car or truck and a rare color.

Parted out the cars bring quick cash. I suppose these people have this in mind when they decide to tresspass, eye down my stuff, and then appear shocked when they learn I know how to answer NO.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:50 AM   #17
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
My Dad spent 1200 plus labor for a replacement motor for his Toyota Panel Truck 6 months ago. Now it has 40psi on cyclinder 5. Obviously he got FU%^KED. Now he is going to have the head done? another $800???

Did they then do a wet test to see if it was the rings or not?

These are NOT the kind of vehicles you buy if you're paying someone else to wrench on 'em. If you're paying someone else to wrench on it then you need to consider what a CLEAN one would cost you. If it's no more than double what YOUR mechanic will charge you to pull your engine to do a head gasket the right way then you need to walk away... sell the car, save for a bit longer and buy a clean one... because that on HG job WILL clean you out after everything that could go wrong (but you weren't quoted for) does go wrong.

If you're doing your own wrenching, then it's usually more a matter of if you have a place to do it and the time to do it and the desire to do it.

Tip Jar --->