Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 06-03-2010, 03:30 AM   #21
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. I change my oil filter 3x more often than I change my oil.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:55 AM   #22
Semper_Fi
3" Exhaust

Semper_Fi is on a distinguished road

I wonder why people put synthetic in their cars...
Synthetic oils were used mostly only in airliners to keep the oil from freezing in the frigid temperature they mostly fly in. Spoken to a few other mechanics about using synthetic oils, and they mostly all have said "Why pay double for overkill..."

Not bagging on anyone, just wondering why pay 14$ a quart for oil...

uh-60 blackhawk... My life
Semper_Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:41 AM   #23
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post
I wonder why people put synthetic in their cars...
I ran 0W-20 Royal Purple engine oil in my former 87 7MGTE. I had not experienced any significant loss of pressure, and in turn had a cooler, better performing engine. I switched from 5W-30 Mobil Clean 5000 conventional oil.

My reasonings for switching:

1: Extended oil life and better protection because a Synthetic oil's structure does not break down from normal use
2: Ability to reach thinner viscosity at startup, therefore providing better flow and lubrication for the engine during a traditionally high-wear period
3: *Most* Synthetic oils have been proven to adhere better to metal surfaces versus a mineral-based conventional oil, once again providing better lubrication (people may argue this point, as I have no data at hand to prove this; it's just something I've read a couple of times over the years)
4: Increased lubrication results in less friction. My engine now runs smoother, quieter, and is much more responsive vs. conventional oils I have run in my Supra.

With that said, there is a lot of bad information about what oil to run, how different oils work, and what's best for what scenario. Most people will believe what they believe for their own reasons, the only way to know for sure is EXTENSIVE research and experimentation.
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:09 AM   #24
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with BT.... hell, the only reason conventional oils are able to provide even half the wear and thermal characteristics its because of all the synthetic additives and unnatural altercation they put it through. you really can't get the goodol' oil you used to... and for a good reason, comparatively it sucked!
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #25
wstanek
3" Exhaust

wstanek is on a distinguished road

lol so true theres alot of additives in standard oil now.
wstanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:35 AM   #26
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

so common consensus besides the royal purple. 10w30? 40? 5w50?
if i were to buy a supra tomorrow. what oil would I use.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:03 AM   #27
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwilson86 View Post
I ran 0W-20 Royal Purple engine oil
I would also say 0W-30 is acceptable
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:17 AM   #28
mkiiisupra
Lexus & 550's

mkiiisupra is on a distinguished road

Ive been running 5W-30 redline synthetic oil, Bes oil in the buisness

Have to order it from summit though have not found locally

Vavle train noise decreased drastically. MPG increased by 2 and on top of all the my rear main seal leak nearly completly vanished

http://www.supramania.com/forums/for...amp-Filtration

If you want more info on why its the best check out what jdub and others have to say about it.

Last edited by mkiiisupra; 06-05-2010 at 06:19 AM.
mkiiisupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #29
batmmannn
12psi boost

batmmannn is on a distinguished road
Default Impressive

Thats quite an impressive report there cause a lot of us have valve train noise. I am going to have to check that out. Do you run the same oil in Winter and Summer? Thanks, Scott

Here is some info on it. Its 8.75 a bottle on ebay.

Provides the quickest starts and fastest oil pressure rise. Will reduce turbo lag and provides more power and best economy in an engine in good condition. Replacement for OE factory-fill oils in passenger cars and most light trucks, including most new GM cars and trucks. Thicker oil film at operating temperature than a petroleum 10W-40. Best choice for engines operated in extreme cold weather.
Red Line’s synthetic motor oils are designed to provide the highest protection, cleanliness and superior drain intervals with the lowest friction for your gasoline, diesel, motorcycle or marine engine. We use the most stable components available and formulate our products for wear protection and friction reduction across a wide range of engine operating conditions. Red Line's products are unique because they contain polyol ester base stocks, the only lubricants which can withstand the tremendous heat of modern jet engines. These synthetics have a natural multigrade property which allows our chemists to avoid bulking up an oil with unnecessary additive packages.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	redline.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	3118  

Last edited by batmmannn; 06-05-2010 at 10:33 AM.
batmmannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #30
joshtexican
3" Exhaust

joshtexican is on a distinguished road

Do you guys use the same type of oil at a fresh rebuild?

or do you use a certain wt at during break in?
joshtexican is offline   Reply With Quote