Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
batmmannn
12psi boost

batmmannn is on a distinguished road
Default removing Valve covers

I am trying to get the valve covers off. I am trying to remove the upper plenum, I think it is called. How do you get to those lower bolts that go into the manifold? There are some electrical structures there and in the center that I am not sure how best to remopve will post pics later tonight. Thanks

I uploaded a video with questions. Thanks,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-grOEjS-DU

Last edited by batmmannn; 05-15-2010 at 06:35 PM.
batmmannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #12
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The front electrical connection to the round canister on the side of the throttle body is the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). You don't need to remove it, just unplug it. To get to the two lower bolts on the "Y" pipe (as it is commonly called) you need to remove the two black metal brackets and then use two extensions to reach them. An extension with a "wobble" built in helps get a better grip.

The part they're saying to pop off with a screw driver is the rod which runs up the the throttle pulley/lever on the side of the throttle body.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #13
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

While you've got the throttle body off, might as well go ahead and check that the TPS is properly adjusted too: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...ction=FI&P=100

Yes, you can replace a spring with the head still on the engine. Pull all the spark plugs, remove the cam, remove the bucket and shim of the bad valve, disconnect the battery and remove the EFI fuse. Now rotate the crank until the piston of the cylinder with the bad valve spring is all the way at the bottom. Start feeding in some very soft and VERY long rope through the spark plug hole. Once you've got a good amount in there and can't feed in any more rotate the crank again while someone pulls on the bad valve's stem lightly. This rope will push the valve up and closed and with enough pressure that you'll be able to do the tapping needed to free the keepers. When you're done you just back the crank off and pull the rope out.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 05-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #14
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Okay, third post in a row... I should have just watched the video all the way through to begin with... :P

I've posted a link to the info on the first electrical part you asked about already (the TPS), the second one is the ISCV (Idle Speed Control Valve, or just ISC). You can leave it on to pull the valve covers, but you may want the extra room. There are two bolts connecting it to the upper plenum, leave the screws alone. There are also two small coolant hoses connected to it, one on top and another down below that's harder to see.

The electrical connector between the Y pipe's branches is the cold start injector. You do not need to worry about disconnecting or removing this.

If you have trouble getting the TPS connector off use a small screw driver to pop the rectangle of spring steel wrapped around it off and it'll pull away more freely.

Tip Jar --->
Old 05-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #15
batmmannn
12psi boost

Default Thanks Cre

I am trying to take in your posts. The valve problem is on the Black Supra and the Dead stick or don't run after test drive is the red one.

Not having much luck with the red one, drained all the gas, put in fresh gas, changed 3 of the plugs because of the throttle body being in the way. Went to pull plug number 5 as you go back the engine. Its the nest to the last one that you have to use a wobble on or take that T shaped pipe off to reach.

I couldn't get a plug wrench on it no matter what I did so I took a flashlight crawled up in the engine bay and looked. The plug had rubber grommet all around it like a plug wrench rubber inset was trapped in there. I managed to dig it out with a flashlight and bent coat hanger in. Once I got a wrench on it I started to break it free but it does not want to come out. It turns with great effort so I am bumming here thinking that I have a stripped plug in the head. I didn't want to force it out and not be able to get another in so I left it there. Any ideas on what might be up with that plug? I hate to pull it out if it is cross threaded. I am better off leaving it in if this is the case and one plug won't stop it from starting.

Anyway, the Red Supra still will not start. I don't think I am getting any gas to the plugs. How do you test the fuel pump without replacing cause that cost over $170 and I would rather test it than spend the money and the time if it is not bad. I guess it could be the filter that is some $40.00 to buy but then again more money out the window and this thing might have a serious problem. I would have to pull the throttle body on this red one to do a compression test I guess I could do a test on 3 of the cylinders.

That rope trick sounds pretty cool. What are the keepers on the valve stem?
oK I found a you tube video for putting keepers on he talks about a special tool to push them in place do I need this special tool? Can it be done with a socket and hammer? I just called autozone they say they have a compression tester I can borrow tomorrow. What is the compression supposed to be around 140?

Also I find these plug wires problematic. I am having trouble getting the seated solidly on the plugs. I can't tell if their snapped in or not. Is there a trick to these as well? Also I am still confused about whether or not I should be able to hear the fuel pump back at the tank when you first turn on the key. Could you clarify that for me knowing that my car is not Turbo?

Looking on ebay I see fuel pumps for as low as $35.00 why is there such a discrepency in price? What can I get away with using?

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i0Zz5ecqlo

Thanks so much for your help, Scott

Last edited by batmmannn; 05-15-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:00 PM   #16
nailhead432
Stock

nailhead432 is on a distinguished road

I have the EXACT same noise comming from my 87 N/A Surpa, in the exact same place and everything. I have been able to localize the noise as happening exactly when the cams line up w/ the timing marks, and further more, the noise is a lot louder on the intake cam rather than the exhaust cam.

I'll agree with the broken valve spring theory, unfortantly, I haven't had the time to confirm this yet. CRE is correct on a way to replace the valve springs with the head on the car, however if you have access to compressed air, I have always put the piston of that cylinder on TDC of the compression stroke and put about 120 psi of pressure in that cylinder and thats enough to keep the valves closed while you replace the spring. You will need the "special tool" required to compress the spring while pulling the locks on the retainers, unless your extremely strong and fast at being able to push that valve spring down and pulling them. Good luck putting them back on w/ the latter method. In short, buy the tool.

In the next few weeks, I might pull my cams out and see which one is bad for the sake of doing it, but b/c I also have a hell of a rod knock, I'm probably just going to replace my engine w/ a 7M-GTE motor instead. Good luck though and I'll stay tuned to see what you come up with. If I happen to find the time to pull my cams out, I'll try to post pics for you.
nailhead432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #17
batmmannn
12psi boost

Default Success!

Got the plenum off, must say it was easy except for those bottom manifold bolts the one closest to the windshield was a BEAR I nearly stripped it trying to get it off. My 6 sided 12 MM went into another dimension when I dropped it working on the bolt. Has not show up yet, not under the car and not seen in the engine bay. Don't you love it when you have to drop what you are doing and drive 40 minute round trip to go get another $4.00 12 mm socket? Damn I hate that but now that the Y assembly is free I am relieved. I can clean up in there now and pull the valve covers and see what is wrong in there. Here are a couple of nasty pics for ya just to keep it real. Thanks You guys, its like having a master mechanic with a flash light by your side when your groping in the dark. What do you do with all this crap and hoses in the way just tie it back? Yes Nailhead I will post what I find in there. It's been a long time a coming... I just feel soooo bad taking away the squirrels little clubhouse like this. Lots of half eaten nuts under the Plenum in there....Scott

Is this the valve tool I need? Its called the valvemaster its $85 on ebay right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFTaeu4GIPo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plenum1.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	3023   Click image for larger version

Name:	plenum2.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	3024  

Last edited by batmmannn; 05-16-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #18
robertsws
3" Exhaust

robertsws is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

What did you find wrong? I have this same problem and just can't figure it out. I didn't have this problem until after I removed the engine for the flywheel and clutch and did a head gasket job while I was at it. Put everything back together and now I have the exact same noice in the exact same place. I already checked and adjusted my valve clearances and helicoiled my exhaust manifold, replaced injectors with Rc engineering while I was at it. I could really use some insight.
3" exhaust, 4" tip
SAFC 2
550cc injectors (2 sets, venom direct fit, RC engineering)
2.5" intercooler and piping
Aluminum radiator w/dual electric fans
ARP bolts w/MHG
Full-auto turbo timer
Fidanza Flywheel & Stage 2 Clutch
spark plugs and wires.
power steering pump
cold temp start switch
engine top end rebuilt
transmission opened up and inspected at a tranny shop when the flywheel and clutch installed last week.
robertsws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:07 AM   #19
batmmannn
12psi boost

Default What was wrong

I don't know I fixed my 5 speed Supra first and haven't gotten to the Black one yet. People have suggested it is in need of valve shimm adjustment, suggested that putting an extra washer between the distributer bolt and the head fixed it. Or there is a broken valve spring.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:24 AM   #20
MJG
3" Exhaust

MJG is on a distinguished road

I am not a betting man. However, I will put my money on rod knock.
MJG is offline   Reply With Quote