Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 04-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
AlexSchuSupra
Intake

AlexSchuSupra is on a distinguished road
Default Do I even have a MAP sensor??????????????????

Ok so looking over my car the other day and I think I may not have a MAP sensor.
Looking on ebay and stuff it looks like MAP sensors say SENSOR ASSY. TURBO PRESSURE.
I may be wrong but what looks like my "MAP Sensor" located on the back of the intake manifold near the firewall (its just zip tied on there) says: SENSOR ASSY. VACUUM
It has three wires coming out if it, one is green with a black stripe, one is blue with a black stripe and one is brown. The vacuum hose connects to the intake manifold.
Any help or ideas? This may be why I am not boosting properly?
87' 1JZ-GTE Truck sized Spectre Air filter, Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump, GM Fuel Pressure Regulator, Welded Rear end gears, Targa Top, 3" Intercooler kit, aluminium intercooler, Ebay boost controller, Ebay Oil-Catch can, I HAVE POWER STEERING AND A/C :P K&N 2JZ Oil filter, Catrol Syntec 10w-40 Fully synthetic oil
AlexSchuSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

the only manifold pressure sensor on the 7M is only used for the boost gauge... unless you're using hardware to run one in place of the AFM.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
AlexSchuSupra
Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
the only manifold pressure sensor on the 7M is only used for the boost gauge... unless you're using hardware to run one in place of the AFM.
I'm sorry I should have explained further. This is a 1JZ-GTE swap in my MK3
87' 1JZ-GTE Truck sized Spectre Air filter, Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump, GM Fuel Pressure Regulator, Welded Rear end gears, Targa Top, 3" Intercooler kit, aluminium intercooler, Ebay boost controller, Ebay Oil-Catch can, I HAVE POWER STEERING AND A/C :P K&N 2JZ Oil filter, Catrol Syntec 10w-40 Fully synthetic oil
Old 04-28-2010, 12:38 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, ok... yes, you do have one and I believe it is labeled as a "vacuum" sensor (that's how it is in all the Toyota's I've worked on with one... which isn't too many, though).
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
AlexSchuSupra
Intake

Quote:
Oh, ok... yes, you do have one and I believe it is labeled as a "vacuum" sensor (that's how it is in all the Toyota's I've worked on with one... which isn't too many, though).
Ok just checking. All the ones from other 1jz's I have seen say turbo boost pressure so I was starting to worry. Thanks

Last edited by AlexSchuSupra; 04-28-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: picture
Old 04-29-2010, 12:06 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

If you're worried that you're is not the right one then go by the part number. The name on the tag may have been changed. Additionally, the part may have been superseded any number of times so don't be surprised if you find multiple part numbers for that application.

Tip Jar --->
Old 05-02-2010, 01:21 AM   #7
AlexSchuSupra
Intake

Quote:
If you're worried that you're is not the right one then go by the part number. The name on the tag may have been changed. Additionally, the part may have been superseded any number of times so don't be surprised if you find multiple part numbers for that application.
Ok yes alot of part numbers changed. I just looked on Ebay again and a MAP sensor for a 2jz-GE says Sensor ASSY. Vacuum. Now I am starting to think this is a non turbo map sensor!
Old 05-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSchuSupra View Post
Ok yes alot of part numbers changed. I just looked on Ebay again and a MAP sensor for a 2jz-GE says Sensor ASSY. Vacuum.
eBay as a parts reference system??? Bad idea. lol. You should head over to SupraMania and ask in the 1JZ/2JZ section WITH THE PART NUMBER if it's the correct part. Jeff Lange over there may be willing to look it up in Toyota's system for you too, if you ask nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSchuSupra View Post
MAF Adapter with truck sized Spectre filter.
I do hope that's not just sitting in your engine bay.

Tip Jar --->
Old 06-24-2010, 01:32 AM   #9
AlexSchuSupra
Intake

Well Ebay worked.... It was a non turbo map sensor. Got one for 100 bucks and viola!