Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
supraluver4life
3" Exhaust

supraluver4life is on a distinguished road
Default hotwiring help ! ! ! !

so a few days ago i bought another 1987 toyota supra. Although this one isnt turbo, i couldnt stand to see it get crushed at the junkyard. 450 bucks got me a fairly clean n/a supra. It has only a few problems that i know about so far. Anyway, the ignition switch is destroyed and is missing the whole ignition cylinder. So basically what i need to know is how to hot wire the car. I tried bridging wires and stuff but only got it to crank. Then i went to my other supra (which runs well) and tried the same thing and it only cranked and did not start. I need help. If anyone knows which of the six wires that go to the ignition need to be bridged and in what order, please reply or pm me.

thanks

"Not driving a car because its too nice, is like not fucking your gf so shes still tight for the next guy"
Old 04-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
CanadianBak'inSupra
Official hall monitor / search nazi - NO SOUP FOR YOU!

CanadianBak'inSupra is on a distinguished road

its easy find out wich wires turn the running lights and inside of the car on,
then find the power and add it to the other and it should start...
its a been a while but its not that hard...

go to a hardware store and buy some switches and you can make it a few buttons to start it lol...
just hide them..
Old 04-19-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
supraluver4life
3" Exhaust

well i did something like this and i got it to turn over but theres no spark. I went and tried the exact same thing on my perfectly running supra and it did the same thing. What i really need is someone to explain which ones to bridge and in what order to do it.

there is an 8 lead connector with only six wires in it. two rows of four and in the top row, there are no leads on the left two. the bottom row has all four leads. if i bridge the top left lead with the second from the left on the bottom, its like turning the key to ACC. if i bride the top left with the second from the RIGHT on the bottom, its like turning the key to ON. If i bridge the same top left one with the one to make it go to on and then bridge the top left one to the bottom far right one it cranks, but doe not start. If i am supposed to be doing it differently, please shed some light on the situation.

"Not driving a car because its too nice, is like not fucking your gf so shes still tight for the next guy"
Old 04-20-2010, 02:23 AM   #4
nfa_automotive
Intake

nfa_automotive is on a distinguished road

White with Red strip jump to Black with Orange strip, White jump to Black with Yellow strip, That just gets everything powered up, then jump White to Black with White strip to kick the starter over. Should run then. Toyota uses two hot wires coming out of IGN switch if they both don't have power going out car wont start

Links to pages in TSRM - http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...x?S=Main&P=040 -----> Ignition System
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...x?S=Main&P=038 -----> Starter Signal
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...x?S=Main&P=036 -----> for Power Source
1987 Supra Turbo Targa Blue 5spd 175K, 3" Exhaust from Turbo back, Lowered 1.5", 89 Steering Wheel and Climate Control, JDM Power Folding Mirrors, HKS Fan Controller, Greddy Turbo Timer, HKS EVCIII Boost Controller, Boost Gauge, Deleted Boost Gauge in Cluster for Volt, MKIV Non-Turbo wheels

1987 Supra N/A Coupe Blue Auto - Parts Car

1987 Supra Turbo Coupe Black 5spd - Bought with a spun bearing - RIP

1987 VW Jetta GTI Auto 89k

Last edited by nfa_automotive; 04-20-2010 at 02:53 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
supraluver4life
3" Exhaust

Now that is some great help. I will try it when i get back to the car.

thank you both very much

Old 04-21-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
Benesesso
3" Exhaust

Benesesso is on a distinguished road

When I bought my wife's '90 Supra, the ignition key had been punched out and the seller was using a screwdriver to turn it. Car was legal/salvage, so I took it to the local Toy dealer. Charged me something like $300 to replace it.
"You see, wire telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? Radio operates the same way: You send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is there is no cat." A. Einstein

1988 and 1990 Turbo Supras
Old 04-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
supraluver4life
3" Exhaust

so i jumped the white w/ red stripe to the black with orange stripe and i guess the black one is a ground and the white one is +. the tool i was using to bridge the two got really hot and burned my finger badly hahahaha. so those are obviously incorrect for this car. another thing is i am assuming the solid white wire is supposed to also be a + but on this car its not hot. (no power). so thank you for the help but im really starting to get upset at this car. any other help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:12 AM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to leave this thread up much longer, either wrap it up or take it to PM. The administration of other sites may not care about this stuff being posted but I do.

The TEWD covers it just fine, BTW.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
Old 04-28-2010, 04:42 AM   #9
supraluver4life
3" Exhaust

What is TEWD?

Old 04-28-2010, 04:44 AM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Toyota Electrical and Wiring Diagrams

Here's an online copy for '91: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
Closed Thread