Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 04-15-2010, 06:14 AM   #1
Krem
3" Exhaust

Krem is on a distinguished road
Default What's in the plastic?

Ok, so I know the lower hose is the heater hose... it even has a prestone cap to simplify identification. Also the hose connected to the VSV I bypassed once I began having a need for heat. Sooo... what's in the black plastic? It's a metal hose of some sort and also comes out of the firewall... is this my fuel line? And if it is the fuel line, how bad is it if the fuel in the line is being heated up before it gets to the intake manifold?
Krem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

I'm diggin the multi-colored engine bay Krem

So by black plastic, do you mean the black wire loom running along the firewall? Cuz IIRC that should just be your wiring harness...

If that's not what you're talking about, bring the pic up in paint or something and circle the part you're talking about.
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
Krem
3" Exhaust

yes, I'm referring to the ribbed black plastic tube/wrap.. was actually thinkin fuel line cause it felt like it was metal within the tube covering. Also, I'm hating the multi-color engine bay... but if I ever get the funds together, hopefully I can fix that on the next engine... I don't think I have much longer with the 7mge I have now..
Old 04-16-2010, 01:15 AM   #4
Cameroonski
3" Exhaust

Cameroonski is on a distinguished road

Yes that should just be your wire harness. Goes into the firewall there because the main computer is behind the glove box.
Cameroonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:24 AM   #5
btwilson86
Super Moderator

The 20+ year old wiring harness can feel metal-like, but the only way to know for sure that there isn't something else there will be to open up a section of the wrap. You could always tape it back with black electrical tape when you're done
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
Old 04-16-2010, 05:28 AM   #6
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

already answered but just re assuring.. yea its just wires.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
Krem
3" Exhaust

thank you for the replies... definately the wiring harness... and doesn't matter any more as on the way home tonight, the water inside the heater hose got sooo hot it burst the plastic piece the cap screws onto and water shot out across my headers.

Friggin awesome, I know... but given the amount of smoke/steam I saw pooring out of the engine bay, I'm just grateful it was water flashing as it hit he hot metal rather than seeing flames since I had no extinguisher. A passerby also thought I was on fire since they called 911.

Hope Karma rewards that individual because I know too many people these days that would just drive by and comment: "Sux to be that guy." rather than call assistance for him. Now I can only hope the engine block didn't crack since I shut the car off soon as I saw the smoke. Almost positive the headers did, however, cause you can see in the pic they're wrapped and they held the water there and steamed/smoked/smoldered for a good 10 min. Fun stuff...
Old 04-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
btwilson86
Super Moderator

Wow. Sux to be that guy (points at Krem) j/k

So do you know what the underlying cause of the superheated water was? Because I know that when they are new, those little Prestone flush and fill kits are supposed to withstand normal cooling system pressures (they don't actually say on the package what their rated PSI is, just that they can hold the cooling system pressure). IMO, get rid of that piece and run a new heater hose.

Anyway, let us know what caused it once you get a chance to find out
Old 04-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

so your saying because your headers were wrapped they broke..
wow makes me re consider wrapping my new exhaust header..

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:01 PM   #10
Krem
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green7mgte View Post
so your saying because your headers were wrapped they broke..
wow makes me re consider wrapping my new exhaust header..
I'm saying since my headers get to a glowing red condition (like they just got out of a forge) when I drive home at night, and I shut my engine off when I saw the smoke, I didn't have heat supplied to the heaters while the water flashing on the headers was actually rapid cooling the metal... which causes stress in the metal and can cause cracks.

Wrapped headers are a bad idea and I want to smack the guy who put them on the car, cause he also swapped the manual tranny for an auto.. Wrapped headers are designed to retain the engine heat and allow the exhaust to escape quicker, retaining the heat in the engine. Combine the retained heat, clogged cat conv. and a bad clutch fan w/ no shroud... the temps were hot enough to start melting and warping the plastic sheath/tube around the wiring harness and blow out the prestone plug..

Sooo, elec fan w/ shroud... Exhaust Headers & Gasket, Cat Conv, new heater hose and vacuum tube (to make VSV work again) and I should be back up... I'm thinkin ~$600 if I do the labor myself? :\

Also, as for wrapped headers... I've read up on the subject. They are good for full racing, but if it's your daily driver I would recommend looking into coating the headers. Not only do wraps void header warranties, and coating may not.. but it keeps the engine bay a lil bit cooler... This is gunna be the measure I pursue if I decide to mess w/ the headers again when I need to swap the engine. The only thing I might wrap in the future are air pipes to keep the heat out and keep the air cool..

Last edited by Krem; 04-16-2010 at 11:05 PM.