Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 04-12-2010, 01:14 AM   #1
907mge
20psi boost

907mge is on a distinguished road
Default HG Install help

I insatalled the head without puting the seal packing between the head and block in the two places at the front. Is it worth taking it back off to put it in? Also which direction do the cam seals go at the front?
907mge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:49 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the packing is a must.

The seals go in with the solid face facing out or forward. If you look at the seals there are also arrows showing the direction of cam rotation. But the solid face faces front and the hollow faces in.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:02 AM   #3
907mge
20psi boost

so if I take the head back off I guess I will need a new head gasket?
Old 04-12-2010, 02:03 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

If it's an OEM type (aka composite) then yes.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 04-12-2010, 02:14 AM   #5
907mge
20psi boost

Also, is there anything I should put on the gasket? I heard of some who use some sort of copper spray.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:35 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907mge View Post
Also, is there anything I should put on the gasket? I heard of some who use some sort of copper spray.
That depends entirely on the type of gasket. The only dressing that's safe to use in all cases is Hylomar's "free" dressing. If you know for sure that the gasket has no dressings already on it you may use Permatex copper gasket dressing or Hylomar blue or aerosol gasket dressing. The OEM composite HG is not coated, but aftermarket gaskets may be. Personally, I think you can get away with dressings on just about any HG as long as you only put on a thin coat, do it in a couple layers and give each layer a couple minutes for the solvents to escape.

Tip Jar --->
Old 04-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
907mge
20psi boost

If I can't find either chemical would I be ok without dressing?It doesen't say anything about dressing in TSRM but then again the torque is well off that much I do know. It's a felro hg since thats whats on it now and it will take too long to get a toyota one.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

With a composite gasket (Felpro or Toyota) I'd use dressing. You shouldn't have any trouble at all finding the Permatex spray.

Tip Jar --->
Old 04-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

just to further this discussion what is the purpose and benefits of applying a dressing to your HG?
allowing a better seal? and possible prevention of "weak seals?"

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:43 AM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

There are a few purposes. Proper dressings don't dry or solidify like paint does (hence the reason I've NEVER understood why some people say to "just use silver spray paint")... it's also tacky (see: better adhesion) and serves as a dielectric buffer. I've also heard some say that it promotes heat transfer but I've yet to hear how it could possibly make any significant difference.

Tip Jar --->