Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 04-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
SupraShogun
Stock

SupraShogun is on a distinguished road
Default The Newb Speaks

I like to say, that I'm bless to be in here. Now the asking begins, OK here's my story, I was shopping around on Ebay for a Supra MK3 and i have come across some with bent valves, now after seeing those i saw a MK3 with 155.xxx miles on it for 1,800 and it said it ran and needed a lifter job done to it and it had no key. So i called up the guy and said I'll buy it for that much we made a agreement on it and the deal was on. I came down to pick up the car and before that i called a transporter to ship the car to me. To my surprise (ha ha) the wheels locked up and the shipper call up is boss and called me to see if i wanted to let them play around with it to get it unlocked, now what i knew was he had been playing around with it before i gave him to do so. So I'm STILL here in IL, after 5 days waiting on the part for the Lock cylinder that he messed up by putting a screwdriver in it. I checked the oil and it was almost bone dry and the owner said that he started it up 2 month's ago and it ran with a tapping sound. Now i don't know what to happen when i turn on the car can anyone help me????

Thank you,
SupraShogun.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
907mge
20psi boost

907mge is on a distinguished road

When I bought mine it was about 2 hours away, I drove it home my self. No more that 10 min into the trip it blew a hose and overheated. Luckily I had it towed back and the seller replaced the hose.

So if I where you I would have it towed back because without knowing the exact history of the car any number of things could go wrong.

As far as starting it you can make sure the oil is filled and start it but should shut it off right away if there are any weird noises. Youtube is a good place to see the videos of the weird noises the 7m can make.

Good Luck.
907mge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraShogun View Post
i have come across some with bent valves
WTF??? The 7M is a non-interference motor... finding just ONE with bent valves is highly unlikely, much less many.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:45 AM   #4
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
The 7M is a non-interference motor

Exactly what I was thinking as I was reading this thread. I've lost a timing belt on a 7MGTE and the bottom end spun several times without even a single tick from the engine.

IMO, 1800 is overpriced for a supra that has no key, no oil, and locked up wheels. Before I buy it I would go buy some oil and start it up on the spot to find out exactly what that sound is, whether it's top end or bottom end.
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
SupraShogun
Stock

*update* OK Clutch is out unless its the lock system the car has killing it, otherwise the cutch has no feedback what so ever..... My god man its been 7 days that i was here. Can anyone give me a price on fixing that clutch? Or its the systems messing with it?
Old 04-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Clutchmaster cyl have fluid?
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 04-05-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
SupraShogun
Stock

Yes just topped it off with break fluid and its still dead.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #8
907mge
20psi boost

907mge is on a distinguished road

I'd say don't buy it, if that is still possilble.

If you are stuck with it i would rent a uhaul and a trailer to get it back. That way you can take your time and do all the repairs the right way.
907mge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:46 PM   #9
SupraShogun
Stock

Yeah the car is mine now.... I was thinking that way until i saw the prices of u Haul. $568+$281= Not worth it. What I'm stuck on is it said it needed a lifter job???? What does that mean in the land of 7MGTE. Let Lord be with me.

Last edited by SupraShogun; 04-06-2010 at 12:14 AM.
SupraShogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:01 AM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

The 7M uses shims on top of buckets (aka lifters)... even with severe wear the valve train should operate well enough that minimal losses will be noticed at medium loads. If a shim managed to get kicked out it'll eat the cam like a fat guy at a wedding buffet. Excessive vlave clearance may allow the cam lobed to actually contact the shims causing heavy wear and a light ticking sound... a spit shim should like a little monster eating matchbox cars.

As for the clutch master, did you bleed the line? What is the clutch doing?

Tip Jar --->