Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-16-2010, 12:17 AM   #1
Krem
3" Exhaust

Krem is on a distinguished road
Default Exhaust vs Timing, something else?

So car has been degrading in performance for last couple of months. She used to have a nasty noise around 4000rpm and has moved down to ~3200rpm now. Noise sounds like a turbo spooling with a bad bearing, except I don't have a turbo.. After running warm/hot and parking for 15~20 min, she won't want to start back up.. she'll turn over, drop idle VERY low and stall out, then I can smell a funny exhaust smell in the cab. I can get her started if I give it a good amount of gas while turning her over to prevent the low rpm idle. Finally, the headers have been glowing red the past couple of nights after a 12 mile drive home from work where she sits all day.

I'm thinkin it's the exhaust system somewhere as the symptoms first began when I got my car back from a trial and error diagnostic repair where some mechanic pulled the o2 sensor and they did my timing. Not sure which timing they did, but I do know they had to replace my distributor and open the timing case, so another reason I am leaning towards exhaust system more so than timing. Wondered if anyone could confirm, deny or propose a more likely cause.
Krem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:54 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I'm leaning more toward the timing belt and a shot tensioner pulley.... Check the mechanical timing as shown in the MKIII FAQ.

Exhaust is easy enough to check... disconnect it right before the cat.

So, no codes?
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:27 AM   #3
Krem
3" Exhaust

Thanks Cre, guess I get to dig back in the timing case... maybe this time I'll just leave it off, looks much more bad ass with the cam gears visible anyways IMO. Really hope to get this fixed, tired of being out accelerated by a Ford Festiva/Fiesta.. oh, and yea... sorry, but no codes .. which is why I refused to let someone hook up a diagnostic machine to my car for $90 to pull the codes that aren't there. Yay for 1960's troubleshooting eh?
Old 03-17-2010, 04:07 AM   #4
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krem View Post
maybe this time I'll just leave it off
Oh, please don't. Even though these are non-interference engines (thank god), the potential for snapping your timing belt or ruining the teeth on your cam gears is not worth the look (IMO anyway)

I feel like I've been saying this too much lately in a few threads, but check your ignition timing after you check your valve timing. I'm pretty sure fairly advanced ignition timing (maybe it's retarded timing, don't remember for sure) could cause high exhaust gas temps (hence the red headers). Like I said though, check it after you set your valve timing or you'll just have to do it twice
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:53 AM   #5
Krem
3" Exhaust

thanks for the tips BT.. that is def. why I mentioned that in my post... wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not despite appearance... guess I know better now and have you to thank for that . So I'll give the timing a look at this weekend. Just hope she'll be ok for travel back and forth this week..
Old 03-17-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Retarded timing = high EGT. Advanced timing = more heat transferred into the block and thus lower EGT.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 03-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

off topic but you can get clear cam covers.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
Krem
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Retarded timing = high EGT. Advanced timing = more heat transferred into the block and thus lower EGT.
could this be why after driving several miles I smell a lean exhaust smell in my cabin?
Old 03-18-2010, 12:32 AM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green7mgte View Post
off topic but you can get clear cam covers.
Cam covers? Ack... not very pretty with all the oil getting thrown around and all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krem View Post
could this be why after driving several miles I smell a lean exhaust smell in my cabin?
A smell in the cabin is more likely due to a bad hatch seal or a leak elsewhere in the trunk.

Tip Jar --->
Old 03-18-2010, 02:39 AM   #10
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

oops i ment timing cover. just forget im here..
"slinks into the back"
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/perf.../Timing_Covers

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote