Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
chi_town
Stock

chi_town is on a distinguished road
Default My 1988 MkIII turbo

Hi, im new to this forum and am glad that their is such a forum for our cars.. I have a few things I wanted to discuss and hopfully recieve answers to about my Supra.

This seems to happen alot, but when I realy mash on the gas on my car, alot of the time it just shuts down, and i have to turn the car back on . I tried to read up on other posts and just couldn't find a answer.. Any ideas?

Is there any place were i can get all the original vac lines and such, the car had a headgasket done and the previouse owner didn't do the best of jobs with replacing the lines because most if not all look like there the original equipment and I would really like to change them.

As of right now I have a aluminum radiator with dual elec fans,boost controller,digital boost gauge,and A/F gauge, all of which are just waiting to be installed, with a full 3" exhaust already on the car. What would be another good mod to do to the car to get the most out of the performance? I dont know enough about these cars so I really would just like to see what other things I could do to it to get the most out of it. I was thinking changing the turbo and intercooler but im not 100%.

Is there anywhere that sells good MK3 parts that isn't Ebay haha.

Thanks for all your help

Chi_Town
chi_town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
chi_town
Stock

another issue that im having is the idle seems like it's higher than it should be.

Is there anywhere to purchase the exterior trim pieces?

Any ideas.... I would really like to get this car running tip top along with fixing it over my ownership.

Chi_Town
Old 03-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
MA70-3.0GT
12psi boost

MA70-3.0GT is on a distinguished road

Right, I'm a little tired & pushed for time but to start you off a high idle & old looking vac. lines points me to the power steering idle up valve & it's lines.

If you look under the accordion hose (between air filter & turbo) there should be a 90 degree elbow with a vac. hose on which should be attached to the pas idle up valve on top of the pump, can be a little hard to see if it's off but it's round & has 2 vac nipples on top. one should go to the accordion hose as i said, the other runs round the steel pipe on the front of the engine about halfway down behind the fan belts, and then goes back to rubber and into another steel bunch of pipes. I can't remember 100% how it all goes but the tsrm helped me put my vac. system right along with some photos from another member which I'll try to find before I go home...

hold on a sec...

'89 Honda NC27 400, NC23 cams, open pipe, PC36a shock & possibly Showa USD forks...

'83 Yamaha 29R XJ750E-II, number 69 off the line, only runner in the country? Original except Koni shocks

'95 Honda PC26 CB500R, Winter hack, hateful, trying to sell it
I'm not paranoid, they really ARE after me!!!
MA70-3.0GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
MA70-3.0GT
12psi boost

MA70-3.0GT is on a distinguished road

Right some bits to be going on with...

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...spx?F=2211&P=2

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...spx?F=1708&P=3

Off the top of my head these are the diagrams I used to sort everything. Not sure where the photos went but I've gotta shoot now. I'll try and get back online over the weekend anyway, I've been away from here far too long!!!

Oh, as for where to get the pipes from. You should be able to buy vacuum pipe from pretty much anywhere but seeing as there's so many different shapes/sizes & configurations on the supra I'd recommend replacing the lot with genuine toyota stuff if it all looks ropey. That way you know you're getting the right stuff & that it's going to last 20 years or so. The other option is if just one or two pipes are duff, buying a length of straight pipe from an accessories shop for pennies (take some old as a size guide) and use that.

Right sorry, I really gotta shoot off now but hopefully I'll be here at the weekend.

PS the steering idle up valve is bottom left (part "17630 valve") on the first pic, click on it to zoom in...

'89 Honda NC27 400, NC23 cams, open pipe, PC36a shock & possibly Showa USD forks...

'83 Yamaha 29R XJ750E-II, number 69 off the line, only runner in the country? Original except Koni shocks

'95 Honda PC26 CB500R, Winter hack, hateful, trying to sell it
I'm not paranoid, they really ARE after me!!!
MA70-3.0GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
chi_town
Stock

where can i find Toyota Supra factory parts ? Thats really what id much rather do to begin with...

Thanks for the info btw..

Chi_Town
Old 03-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
chi_town
Stock

Is this worth buying, or would i just be better off buying vac hose in bulk..

http://www.hiperformancestore.com/HoseKits.htm#Toyota

Chi_Town
Old 03-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

A couple online vendors who I trust are:

www.horsepowerfreaks.com - A well known and reliable aftermarket parts vendor. A couple years ago they started offering OEM parts too.

www.siliconeintakes.com - A reliable vendor of silicone hoses, couplers, clamps, pipes, intercoolers... I've bought from them a lot, never had a problem and they're usually less expensive than some of the other well known vendors.

www.toyotaworld.com - Champion Toyota (Dealership) out of Texas) their online parts ordering system has graphics so you can search out parts if you don't have the part number.

I've never used a kit for vacuum hoses so I can't comment on whether it makes the job any easier or not.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote