Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-28-2010, 10:56 PM   #1
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Supra Saiyan is on a distinguished road
Question 88 supra N/A (SWAP, or ADD TURBO)

I am looking into a few mods on the car. So far everything is good, I will be taking it in for a complete tune up!
I have seen a few turbo out there and started noticing it looks like the kits (Greddy and such) seem to come with a new intake option. Is this true? Can I even have this put on the normal 7m engine? I will most likely need to have a professional tuning shop put it in as well right? Maybe I will need to purchase something additional to help get the ecu tuned to the correct settings? Anyone out there who has done this or knows about the direction I would need/be going. HELP please..

ps- im sure I would need fuel upgrades and to replace the gasket and such first..? Right? Anyone toss out prices I should expext to pay for the mods and maybe even installation. Seems like $50 an hour around the Portland area.

Last edited by Supra Saiyan; 08-16-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Supra Saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:11 AM   #2
907mge
20psi boost

907mge is on a distinguished road

you would probably want to put a 7mgte in it or just buy a turbo model, but the main thing is to do alot of research before throwing alot of money into it
907mge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:20 AM   #3
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Wouldn't it just be cheaper rebulid my exsisting engine and then turbo it? Is it not possible to turbo the 7m? I would want to upgrade the turbo from stock even if I had the 7mt. I have done tons of research and started to wonder if it was even possible to turbo the 7m.. I mean I do see the greddy kits..

Maybe I should have put my intentions for the car..

I want 300 - 350 hp.. This should be easy with a 3000cc engine. Especially with a turbo kit equip and tuned correctly. I am looking into an engine rebuild kit to help get me out of this 170k engine. Obviously I would upgrade the fuel and exhaust system. I am just looking for real recommendations on how to get where I am trying to go.

Last edited by Supra Saiyan; 03-01-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:10 AM   #4
907mge
20psi boost

the gte is different than the ge in some ways such as pistons and compression, it would be easier to get a jdm 7mgte or swap in a 1jz, the 2.5l twin turbo, it isn't that hard to do but if your not doing it yourself, meaning paying someone it will cost you some pretty good money either path you choose, plus be concerned with all the other parts of the car such as suspension, steering, tranny, diff, etc depending on how many miles are on the car, the car is old
Old 03-01-2010, 01:16 AM   #5
907mge
20psi boost

also check your rear wheel wells for rust, it likes to hide back there under the undercoating, i found it the hard way
Old 03-01-2010, 01:26 AM   #6
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Red face

I don't want to irritate you. I get what your saying about a new engine and such but I am not big into doing a j swap or anything besides MAYBE the turbo version of the engine. When I priced out some kits for the 7m engine I found a A kit that had Titanmotorsports 1.4mm/2.0mm metal head gasket along with ARP head studs/bolts, plus Eagle H-beam forged connecting rods, Wiseco pistons, along with Clevite 77 Main and Rod bearings.. With all of that I would think that it would be clean enough to turbo. Plus it's like new.
See I keep thinking I would have to buy some other engine to swap in and then have to rebuild it too.. So I keep thinking its cheaper to rebuild my 7m and turbo it with a greddy or something.

Yes yes, thanks for talking about suspension. I have questions about that one later.. I mean i'm not trying to be a track star or anything but I would like to groove around a corner or two here and there..

The rust thing.. Wow, I didn't even think of that there.. What happened to yours. I mean what was the hard way? The stories are always interesting to hear.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:50 AM   #7
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Red face If I did a engine swap..

Ok this is what I found.. So is it truly going to be better this route.. I can get this from jdm engine corp. for $2100. Engine, transmission, everything.. Is this truly going to be better for me. I also want to maintain balance on the car. If you say somthing about doing a 1jz then please let me know about the weight differences and if I will need anything... EXTRA.. I mean is it a direct swap, you know.. Somthing simple. I have a guy who could do the complete swap in 2 days for $600. Remember folks, I want direction.. So help me out please.. I will keep looking for more info too.

Used Imported JDM 7M-GTE Turbo 3.0L V6 Toyota Supra 1986 - 1992 Engine & 5 Speed Transmission Swap !

Your Swap Includes The Following:
  • Block
  • Head
  • Turbo
  • Intake Manifold
  • Complete Head
  • Sensors
  • Exhaust Manifold
  • Fuel Rail
  • Injectors
  • Throttle Body
  • Alternator
  • Starter
  • Power Steering Pump
  • Engine
  • 5 Speed Transmission
  • ECU
  • Wiring
Old 03-01-2010, 02:01 AM   #8
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Cool

478 vs 463
So there is only a slight difference in the 1jz vs 7mt.. No worries there.. Now my only question is..
Direct easy swap, or do I need some extra parts that will make my mechanic want more $$$ for complication..!
Old 03-01-2010, 02:32 AM   #9
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Smile 1jz imported

Here is what I found for the 1jz. Since it is imported I would need a few extra things huh? I was reading about needing some mounts for the transmission. Also needing some other stuff because the engine is imported.. Is this a good idea folks? Going to 1jz like this? They want $2000 for it..

Used Imported JDM 1JZ-GTE Twin Turbo 2.5L Toyota Supra 1989 - 1993 Engine Swap !

Your Swap Includes The Following:
  • Block
  • Head
  • Twin Turbo
  • Intake Manifold
  • Complete Head
  • Sensors
  • Exhaust Manifold
  • Fuel Rail
  • Injectors
  • Throttle Body
  • Alternator
  • Starter
  • Power Steering Pump
  • Engine
  • 5 Speed RWD Transmission
  • Wiring Harness
  • ECU
  • Igniter Chip
Old 03-02-2010, 02:05 AM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Forget the 1JZ swap... ESPECIALLY if you're paying a mechanic to do it! It is not what I think of as a terrible swap, but it is involved.... some people do think it's miserable though.

Definitely go with a 7M-GTE swap, but you're right, you don't want to just drop it in either... it should be carefully inspected and anything which needs attention should be taken care of. There's a lot more to turboing a 7M-GE than you seem to think. Get the GTE, rebuild it and drive with the GE until the new engine is ready to be swapped in.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote