Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-17-2010, 03:42 AM   #11
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

For an upgrade I'd go with someone I know has done a LOT of them... for a rebuild, shop locally (I'd talk to truck shops (industrial) about who they use, not local tuner shops).
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #12
supraluver4life
3" Exhaust

supraluver4life is on a distinguished road

ok sounds good. im kinda on a budget and my friend owns a shop close to where i live and he just came to check it out. he says its just barely beyond the point of a rebuild. so, in that case, what is a good place to shop for an oem supra ct26 turbo? Is ebay a good place or are all those ones for like $385.00 peices of junk?

such as this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Supra...Q5fAccessories

"Not driving a car because its too nice, is like not fucking your gf so shes still tight for the next guy"

Last edited by supraluver4life; 02-18-2010 at 05:47 PM.
supraluver4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:49 PM   #13
mirage83
12psi boost

mirage83 is on a distinguished road

The new ones for $385 or whatever out of China are indeed pieces of junk you would want to stay away. Your best bet would be the "For Sale" forum here or on other Supra boards.

BTW, being "kinda on a budget" and owning a MkIII Supra aren't really compatible.
mirage83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:26 PM   #14
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I'd still ship the old one to DriftMotion (or another turbo shop) to see what they can do... unless it's got so much play that it's been eating the compressor housing you really don't know until you actually disassemble it... but if you've got more than a couple millimeters of axial play at the end of the spindle, it is a good bet that it's shot. This is a specialized field and while a mechanic gets a good idea from past experience they still may be mistaken.

I agree about cheap turbos... they usually don't last and if they grenade they really do a ton of damage. I don't trust used turbos either (more accurately I don't trust the judgment of the sellers)... half the time you finally receive it and it's completely worthless or only has another 20,000 miles of life left in it (still rebuilding one is cheaper than a new, good turbo).
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 02-18-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
supraluver4life
3" Exhaust

my turbo is completely shot, i believe, it deffinately sounds like it is scraping the crap out of the housing. so can you guys look around for me and try to find a good turbo. i need something in the range of 500 or less... preferably less. thank you all so much for your constant help with all my problems.

oh and this is a great line and ive really come to understand it now
"BTW, being "kinda on a budget" and owning a MkIII Supra aren't really compatible."

"Not driving a car because its too nice, is like not fucking your gf so shes still tight for the next guy"
Old 02-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #16
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Well that does suck. I'll keep en eye out for you. If I think of any other solutions I'll let you know... are you worried about keeping the same power level? A CT-26 off a MR-2 may be easier to come by but it's not going to breathe as well at higher RPM.

Tip Jar --->
Old 02-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #17
supraluver4life
3" Exhaust

as everyone knows, performance in supras is key .
thank you i think i have found a few. i found a guy in arizona who has one and sent me a bunch of pictures. the car it came out of was bone stock and owned by his mother, who passed away a year or so ago. he sent me like 25 pictures of the car. it was in prestine condition and the car only had 39k miles on it. so im pretty convinced it is in good condition. should a ct26 have a tiny bit of axial play or should there be absolutely no shaft play?

thank you again for your help.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:01 AM   #18
mirage83
12psi boost

mirage83 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraluver4life View Post
should a ct26 have a tiny bit of axial play or should there be absolutely no shaft play?
Most turbo's will have a small amount of radial play, even new ones depending on the type of bearings they use. Axial play is another matter, and you really don't want any at all.
mirage83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:20 AM   #19
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage83 View Post
Most turbo's will have a small amount of radial play, even new ones depending on the type of bearings they use. Axial play is another matter, and you really don't want any at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
When you check the turbo there really shouldn't be much movement in any direction. If there's more than 1 to 1.5mm it's in need of a rebuild, more than 2 to 2.5 and it could be whining and possibly beyond rebuilding. Check if the impeller is making contact with the compressor housing in any spot... if it is check for missing material, don't want shavings making it past the IC and into the engine.
cre quoted. taken from another thread.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:07 PM   #20
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Knock the kiddie crap off guys... I don't have the patience for it.

Tip Jar --->