Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
Codelicious
Stock

Codelicious is on a distinguished road
Default Just Got A MK3

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums abd just purchased a 1986(.5) Supra MKIII. Drove great for the first couple of days and still does except sometimes when I start the car it does this "auto rev" thing where it revs from 1k - 2k repeatedly. Also it doesn't go away when driving the car, I drove it for 3 minutes and everytime I push in the clutch it starts again.

Our initial response was the head gasket but the oil looks fine so we think it could be the vacuum hoses? Today while looking under the hood I noticed one wasn't plugged in and I don't know where it goes..

Any help would be appreciated!
Codelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
Cyto
3" Exhaust

Cyto is on a distinguished road

It doesn't have an auto rev thing lol. Sounds like your vacuum system is screwed up. Do you have a pic of this hose that's unhooked?

I might have to sell it to help pay for school so here's the link.

http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...html#post72357
Cyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
Codelicious
Stock

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that there was an actual auto rev thing. It is just Reving itself up on it's own.

I dint have any pictures of it but I will take some tomorrow and post them up. Thanks for the quick reply. I'm hoping it's something simple like a vacuum hose leak.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
hopesanddreams47
Stock

hopesanddreams47 is on a distinguished road

I've seen that type of thing multiple times in other cars the surging is almost in every case that i have delt with ended up being vacuum, or a tps. have you put your finger over the hose to see how much vacuum its pulling?
hopesanddreams47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:01 AM   #5
Codelicious
Stock

Here are some pictures. Hope these will help you guys help me! lol

--This one is on the left side of the engine bay (passenger side) and comes out by the Fender, I have no idea what it goes to. The other end isn't connected to anything..

--This is about in the middle of the engine bay and had nothing attached to it so we just put a cap over it for now..

--This is just below the first picture I posted, if I remember correctly the hose on the other side leads to the canister.. we put a cap on it because nothing was connected to it..

Started the car up today and it ran just fine.. it only revs itself up on occasion. Hopefully finding the right spots for these will fix it.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:42 AM   #6
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

Can't quite see what I'm looking for in pic 1.

IIRC, the line in pic 2 goes to the BVSV (two pronged vacuum valve on the thermostat housing, they're common to break so yours may be non-existent at this point). The line in pic 3 that runs off of the MAF Sensor should connect to the other end of the BVSV. If there is no BVSV, you may be able to hook the MAF Sensor directly to that nipple on your intake, but then there would be no regulating when the unburnt vapors from your charcoal canister are allowed in your intake.
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
Codelicious
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwilson86 View Post
Can't quite see what I'm looking for in pic 1.

IIRC, the line in pic 2 goes to the BVSV (two pronged vacuum valve on the thermostat housing, they're common to break so yours may be non-existent at this point). The line in pic 3 that runs off of the MAF Sensor should connect to the other end of the BVSV. If there is no BVSV, you may be able to hook the MAF Sensor directly to that nipple on your intake, but then there would be no regulating when the unburnt vapors from your charcoal canister are allowed in your intake.
Thanks for the reply.. My friend and I looked at the chart thats on the hood and we figured that it would go to the BVSV but we looked for it and we are unable to find it..

Is this the BVSV...?

If so mine is broke... I'll have to buy a new one.. do you believe that this will fix the reving issue?

Last edited by Codelicious; 02-08-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:21 AM   #8
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

Yup, that's a BVSV. It at the very least should help a little, although I can't say for sure if it'll completely fix it.

Actually, since you capped off the lines it probably won't change the revving. It will, however, help your evaporative emissions system work properly.

Since there are quite a few vacuum lines on the car, I'd suggest spending some time running through the engine bay and checking that everything is hooked up properly. I had to do this on my first 87 (N/A), and it really didn't take that long.

Click here for the vacuum routing diagram (note that this includes all the lines connected to the engine, but not all of them in the engine bay). Thanks to green7mgte for the link in another thread.
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
Cyto
3" Exhaust

Cyto is on a distinguished road

Check the rest of the vacuum lines. Here is the diagram.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...spx?F=1708&P=5

If you haven't bookmarked this site go ahead and do it. It has saved my ass on many occasions lol

I might have to sell it to help pay for school so here's the link.

http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...html#post72357
Cyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The hose coming out from the fender is the washer fluid line.

The revving thing is most likely a defective, stuck or disconnected ISCV (Idle Speed Control Valve): http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...ction=FI&P=106
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote