Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-10-2010, 03:44 AM   #11
Codelicious
Stock

Codelicious is on a distinguished road
Default I did a diagnostic test..

So I'v been having problems with my 1986.5 MKIII reving itself up and we thought it was just a vacuum leak.

Tonight when I got home I ran a diagnostic lke cygnusx1.net says to and it came up with the code 43.

Code 43:

Starter Signal

Diagnosis - No "STA" signal to ECU until engine speed reaches 800rpm with vehicle not moving.

Trouble Area
- Ignition switch circuit
- Ignition switch
- ECU

Anyone ran into this problem? I hardly know anything about cars so I don't even know where to start... maybe my $800 Supra was $800 for a reason.. lol
Codelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:07 AM   #12
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Code 43 has nothing to do with your idle issues...

Code 43 can indicate an issue when the engine is cranking (which may explain your difficulties when starting the car) or it could appear simply because the car was push started (aka: pop started or dump started). It's not uncommon to see this code just because the car's been started by dumping the clutch while rolling.

Clean your ISCV. You haven't tried to clean the AFM have you? They break very easily. Air filter clean?

BTW - do NOT just make a new thread to post more info... it makes it hard for others to follow and makes it hard for others to find answers to past problems when searching the board. I'm going to merge this with your other thread.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 02-10-2010 at 04:09 AM.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:33 AM   #13
Codelicious
Stock

Sorry about that, didn't think about it not making it easier to help solve the problem.

Thats good to hear because the car was clutch started the other day..

Is the part # for the ISCV 22270-43010.. if so I know where it is and can take it off. I looked at one of the links you posted about removing it. We listened for it to click but didn't hear anything. I don't know if it is good there is no click or bad.. like I said I am clueless about cars right now, this is the first car I have had to work on..

Also what is a AFM?
Old 02-10-2010, 07:07 AM   #14
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's the part number for the ISCV (that's Idle Speed Control Valve). Here's the information on testing it: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...ction=FI&P=106

AFM = a Toyota specific acronym for Air Flow Meter (a certain class of air measuring devices... no not all air measurement devices are an AFM)... You'll VERY commonly see people refer to them as MAF, although that is not accurate.. a MAF (Mass Air Flow Meter) is a term that's specific to another class of device, such as the GM "hotwire" MAF. It's not a huge deal, but it bugs me when a newbie posts back that they can't find the MAF in the repair manual... or better yet, because they bought an actual MAF and can't figure out who to hack the wiring.

There are two different types of air flow meter used in the 7M equipped MKIII... these are:
Karman Vortex (KVAFM) used in the 7M-GTE (NEVER try to clean one with any cleaning solution or solvents!!! These are optical devices and you'll just destroy it.)
Vane (VAFM) used in the 7M-GE. The Vane is a more durable device, but it doesn't age as gracefully due to the use of moving parts and it imposes a certain degree of restriction on the airflow.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 02-10-2010, 08:08 AM   #15
Codelicious
Stock

Awesome. I will check it in the morning to see if it works or not.

Is the ISCV in Toyota Celica's as well? If it is broke than I don't want to have to buy it new when my local junk yard might have it! They don't have any Supra's though.

I know that the BVSV is in a Celica so I plan to get that tomorrow from U-Pull-It.

So if the ISCV clicks that means that it is working, if it doesn't than that means that it is broke or jammed correct? If it is jammed how do I fix it after it is removed?
Old 02-11-2010, 01:28 AM   #16
Codelicious
Stock

Was looking under the hood this morning and noticed that 2 things weren't plugged in..

Don't know where they go to but Im planning on going to U-Pull-It tomorrow to get a BVSV out of a Celica.

EDIT:
Just got done checking the ISCV and after I shut off the car it clicks 4 times and than makes a FSSS sound. I am guessing that is good and that it is resetting itself. Tomorrow I'm hoping to get a BVSV and see if that fixes it.. if not I guess that I will be checking hoses all day..

Last edited by Codelicious; 02-11-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:00 AM   #17
supradaddy0803
12psi boost

supradaddy0803 is on a distinguished road

Those plugs you have in the picture may be for options your car doesnt have. Mine had those unpluged and didnt have the surging issue like yours does. The ISCV is a better bet for the problem, they arent a no fail part none of the parts on this car are no fail just replace it they arent too expensive. As for the FSSSS when you shut it off check your vacuum lines sounds like one is in the wrong place.
Tokico pillow blocks
Suspension Techniques front and rear sway bar
HKS super dragger cat-back exhaust plus test pipe
Greddy Profec B spec 2 boost controller
HKS type 1 turbo timer
Supra sport solid steel drive shaft
Walboro 255 fuel pump
JZA70 Front end mod
18" Volk Racing AV3 18x8.5 front 18x9.5 rear
supradaddy0803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:25 AM   #18
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Damn... put a little more time into the sentences SD... not making a whole lot of sense there.

The black plug below the battery may be the connection for the small electric aux fan located beside the primary fan.

The white ones by the cruise control actuator appear to be for turbo functions... odd you'd have a GTE harness there though. One would go to the stock boost gauge sender and I cant recall where the other goes.... been a long day and my head's not entirely in the game.

The only other vehicle that I know of with a compatible ISCV is a 7M-GE equipped Cressida (looks kind of like a Camry).

BVSVs are very basic devices... as long as the threads are correct just about any BVSV off of a similar vintage Toyota should work just fine.

Tip Jar --->
Old 02-11-2010, 06:39 AM   #19
Codelicious
Stock

Weird.. the guy that I bought it from said that he did a rebuild on the engine but I still don't know why it would be there if it wasn't a turbo..

Anyways I plan on getting everything done tomorrow. Hopefully replacing the BVSV will do the trick. If not I will check all of the vacuum lines with Carb cleaner or whatever you use to check.

The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is that the car ONLY does it every once in a while. When I bought the car we drove it for 2-3 hours home and it drove just fine, I drove it all day the next day and it worked fine. Than the night after it drove with the revving, the next day it was gone. It revved up ALL day yesterday and I started it today and it ran just fine..

I don't see how if there is a problem that it just happens sometimes. You would figure it would effect it everytime.

I don't think that the ISCV is broke, I heard it click 4 times when I shut my engine off so I'm not going to replace it now unless I need to. I think that the FSSS sound was it resetting, but I'm not sure.. if that FSSS is from a vacuum leak than it should be easy to find.. I'll just need a partner to help listen for me while I shut it off or vice versa.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:23 AM   #20
Codelicious
Stock

Update:

So today I checked more into the ISCV to make sure that it was working properly. Unplugging it and starting the engine made it idle at 2 rpm and when plugged back in it ran at 1 rpm so I know that it is working correctly.

We sprayed down the hoses and didn't notice any leaks, the idle never changed when spraying over them.. so now I am lost have no clue what could be going wrong.

The car ran fine today as well.