Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 12-23-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
Cameroonski
3" Exhaust

Cameroonski is on a distinguished road
Default 1986 Supra Issue

I recently bought a 1986 Supra, and I was having fun with it in a parking lot. I did a 180 turn with the E-Brake, and after that it felt bad. It was like it was having a really hard time going. I revved the engine in neutral, and it's fine, so it's gotta be something else. I don't think the E-Brake is sticking, b/c the car rolled just fine from a stop. So maybe its the alignment or something in the limited slip went out?

Please Help!
Cameroonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:38 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameroonski View Post
I recently bought a 1986 Supra, and I was having fun with it in a parking lot. I did a 180 turn with the E-Brake, and after that it felt bad. It was like it was having a really hard time going. I revved the engine in neutral, and it's fine, so it's gotta be something else. I don't think the E-Brake is sticking, b/c the car rolled just fine from a stop. So maybe its the alignment or something in the limited slip went out?

Please Help!
I'm not seeing how you came to the conclusion that a damaged e-brake is out of the question... it's the most likely problem unless you're not telling us everything (like the part where you slide sideways into a curb).

You said 1986, is this a MKIII (1986.5) or a MKII Supra? I moved this to the MKIII section assuming 1986.5 but realize I may have placed it in the wrong section.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
Cameroonski
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
I'm not seeing how you came to the conclusion that a damaged e-brake is out of the question... it's the most likely problem unless you're not telling us everything (like the part where you slide sideways into a curb).

You said 1986, is this a MKIII (1986.5) or a MKII Supra? I moved this to the MKIII section assuming 1986.5 but realize I may have placed it in the wrong section.
Yes it's an '86.5 MKIII. Thank you. I didn't hit anything, but I guess it would make since that the E-Brake is damaged. I was going almost 40mph, so that could be it. The car couldn't get much over 40 after I did it, and I haven't driven it since it happened. I'll take a look at that. Thanks
Old 12-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
mirage83
12psi boost

mirage83 is on a distinguished road

While you're having fun in parking lots you'll want to keep in mind that the parking-brake (e-brake) pads on our MkIII's are super thin even when brand new, very much thinner than regular pads. They are also expensive to replace as there are no aftermarket sources that I'm aware of for them, leaving Toyota as your only option to get them.
mirage83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:52 AM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I HATE working on our e-brakes.... so sis the previous owner of my car apparently. They had the e-barak apart at some point, and instead of reassembling they seem to have just dumped the parts in and slapped the rotor back on to hold them in. Fortunately when a part finally did seize I was only driving slowly down a side street. Cost a TON to have that one side rebuilt.... a frigging TON. I was sooooo pissed off. No, I didn't rebuild it myself, one of the few things where I knew I didn't have the patience.

And yes, the pads are what 1/8" think new?
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:21 AM   #6
Cameroonski
3" Exhaust

Ok. So it's a partially siezed E-Brake. Right? Whats the best way of fixing this?
Old 01-02-2010, 01:35 AM   #7
reydio
Intake

reydio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameroonski View Post
Ok. So it's a partially siezed E-Brake. Right? Whats the best way of fixing this?
Take it apart and see the damage. From there you can tell which items are in need of replacing.

With a car that's over 20 years old, I suggest not to drift it unless you replace and refurbish all the suspension bushings. You are just asking for more expenses and something is likely to go and create more damage.

I purchased mine with a mint body condition but the previous owner did not treat the car well...all the bushings are shot from burning out, clutch was gone......and the list goes on.
reydio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:00 AM   #8
mirage83
12psi boost

mirage83 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
And yes, the pads are what 1/8" think new?
About right, thin enough to shock the hell out of me the first time I got in there to replace the rotor and brake pads on the rear. I was in panic mode trying to find replacements until someone on a forum mentioned that they're thin to begin with. After that I looked closely at mine and found that they were virtually unscarred, probably seldom or never been engaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameroonski
You gotta find out exactly where the problem is first. Pull the rotor and inspect the mechanism itself, make sure the cable isn't pulled tight and binding somewhere. It might be something really simple, won't know until you find out precisely what's going on in there.
mirage83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
Cameroonski
3" Exhaust

Alright, thats kinda what i figured, take it apart and see how to fix it. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-07-2010, 12:30 AM   #10
Cameroonski
3" Exhaust

So it turns out the parking brake and brakes are fine. But the clutch is dead. So I'm buying a new clutch and installing it along with an oil pump and something else. So here's another question; what clutch kit should I buy? There's some pretty cheap ones, which is good, but I also want a good quality one. Under 200 dollars is nice. Any suggestions? Thanks!