Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 01-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
suprabahamut
3" Exhaust

suprabahamut is on a distinguished road
Default Tire noise

I wanted to make sure before I drive a lot, I have searched also but found nothing. I use to have 225/55/16 tires on and I bought some used tires for the time being until I buy new parts for the front end alignment, they are 205/55/16. After I bought the tires it sounds like growling a loud noise constant, and kind of thumping when braking. I think it is my suspension because it is old and creaks a lot before the used tires, or alignment problems because it wore my other tires out. They look fine no plugs and are not old, but maybe out of balance. The guy told me there is some new guys working there. I just wanted to know what you guys think? Is it something I should be worried about, or just leave it for now. After I buy new front end parts I am going to buy better tires so it is just temporary.
suprabahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

You do know there is a pretty big difference in the overall circumference of those tires compared to your last...

Given that the tires are used it is not at all unlikely that uneven wear on them might be emphasizing other existing problems. I don't recommend running used tires, but I do understand. Did I understand that you haven't even had them balanced?
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
suprabahamut
3" Exhaust

They were balanced and have new wheel weights on them, but there is new people working there some kids.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprabahamut View Post
They were balanced and have new wheel weights on them but there are new people working there some kids.

In that case I suspect it's more likely the different treadwear emphasizing other problems. Check for play in the suspension member bushings, ball joints and tie rods.

That's where I'd start anyway.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
suprabahamut
3" Exhaust

I found out it is the wheel bearing, it they start to make that much noise how much time do I have left about? And what will happen if I don't replace it in time will it cause a major problem? I don't have the money right now, but I will have it soon. What are some symptoms I need to look for before I need to park it till it gets too bad.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Drive REAL slow. If it's to the point where it's making noise I'd be hesitant on driving it... I'd rather not guess on what you may be able to get away with.

If you're mechanically inclined you could pull the knuckle, buy the bearing from NAPA or the like and just take the knuckle to a shop to have it pressed in. This can be done for a LOT less than having all the work done by a shop. The shops around here only charge $20 - $30 for pressing the bearing out and the new one in. I don't know how much the new one will cost.

Tip Jar --->