Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 01-05-2010, 02:37 AM   #1
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road
Talking Ma and Pa Kettle change their brakes!

I broke one of my lug nut stud moment ago while replacing my brakes.
I did not fallow the proper SOP and temp bolt my roter down so i had wiggle in it. couldent get enough clearance to put my caliper back into place so i started smacking the bottom part of my roter with a hammer.. (so i have anger issues. wanna fight about it..) <- just playing. i really am terribly mad at myself for making such a hairbrained mistake. but i broke off one of my lug nut studs so now what do i do? replace the roter but were do i get the threads at? what are they even called. any thaughts on my problem. im sure im not the first to break a stud so there must be a replacement option available. feel free to laugh at this, humor always lightens the mood and my mood is currently red faced and steaming.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Last edited by Green7mgte; 01-05-2010 at 04:06 AM.
Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:36 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

So you just stripped or otherwise mangled the threads on the lug? No biggie, a replacement's around $3. Just tap the old one out (they come through from behind), slide the new one in and put some washers on or a 1" segment of pipe on the outside, thread the lug nut on and tighten up to about 70 ft lbs., back it off and then repeat. After you reinstall, retorque the lugs after the first couple drives.

I believe you're after part number: 90942-02049 MSRP $3.20

You didn't actually BREAK the lug, did you? If so you need to inspect other components for damage such as warping... takes a lot of torque to break one even if it's under an uneven load.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:49 AM   #3
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

I belive I whacked the stud back through the hole. so hopefully i dident damage the hub behind it.
so i just need to get it out. ill replace it anyhow to be on the safe side..

Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ

Last edited by Green7mgte; 01-05-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:50 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

There's not a whole lot to damage back there from just knocking a lug into it. Was this the front or the rear?

Well, I suppose in the rear there are the E-brake components to worry about... the front is a simple affair:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...spx?F=4303&P=1
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 01-05-2010 at 03:55 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:57 AM   #5
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

yea its just the front. I felt like such a heel.. and as soon as it went through a voice in my head said.. "and this is the part were you break it"

oh maybe you could shed some light on this matter. my caliper dosent want to come off. the bottem bolt is removed but its very sticky and tight. for the life of me I cant push it off the top.

to fix a broken wheel stud preform the fallowing.
Remove the caliper, breakpads and caliper torque plate
Remove your rotor and Bang out existing damaged wheel stud
Insert new wheel stud and hit with an anti seize
place stock lug nut on new wheel stud and tighten -NOTE- tighten only till the back of the stud shoulder is touching the back of the hub, do not over tighten.

Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ

Last edited by Green7mgte; 01-05-2010 at 04:18 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
Bill UK
AEM EMS

Bill UK is on a distinguished road

You guys must have different brake/hub setup to the UK Supra, I’m sure I needed to removed the hub to knock the wheel stud completely through.
Bill UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill UK View Post
You guys must have different brake/hub setup to the UK Supra, I’m sure I needed to removed the hub to knock the wheel stud completely through.

naw. if you diden't have a dust guard on it you might of been able to get at it.
but as it is after you remove the caliper torque plate and pull the rotor off
the dust shield is blocking access to behind the hub. the bolts to the dust plate are.. located behind the hub.. hah. so now im looking on how to remove my hub

time elapse 3 minutes...
wtf? do i really need to take my hub off?
time elapse 4 minutes..
im really not wanting to take my hub off. so my decision is this. i just hit the stud out threw the hole in the first place. I can grab it and bring it back but its not tight. ill try to tighten it using the new installation method but if that dosent work im just going to re-assemble and once i get my tire on ill just lug nut it down. still compleatly safe and by the time i have to remove my tire again itl be rusted on there and Ill prolly forget that it was even broken. any yea or nay to this.

Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ

Last edited by Green7mgte; 01-05-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill UK View Post
The ABS hub is harder to work around but it can still be done... non-ABS is wide open.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

abs.. raises hand..

i re-assembled everything but i still have a hairs worth of clearance i cant get passed. thats what made me go hammer crazy in the first place.. I do have my rotor bolted into place to avoid slant but still have that fingernail size worth of clearance from my caliper over the brake pad i cant clear. I called AAP and double checked the size of the pads and they said its correct. warped rotor maybe? just a faction of an inch outa whack?

Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ

Last edited by Green7mgte; 01-05-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

have you compressed the caliper's piston back into the housing? Warped rotors aren't straight... they're not suddenly thicker.

Tip Jar --->