Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 01-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
Raysupra
3" Exhaust

Raysupra is on a distinguished road
Default ?Rebuilt Motor Help!!!

ok My rebuilt motor had alot of problems.. now im stuck with what to do.... It has a exhaust manifold leak at the block,No power steering,Leak valve covers, and needs normal tune plugs wires belts fluids. well the turbo just went out.... im guessing not enough oil it was running 8?....

Im looking at over 1k to get this thing running straight.... Should I keep this damn thing or just swap a 1j in their??I really want the 1jz anyway??.... just not sure dont want to Spend money to swap the motor and start looking at new intercooler and exhaust and tune up??
I could sell the 7m? hell Anyone wants it Ill sell the 7m with r154 for what 900$$... you supply shipping..new internals balenced blueprinted bored out slightly

I really need help I dunno if I should swap it since it would almost cost as much I found a very clean 40k 1jz with tranny for 1800$ and to swap it is 500$$ hell just to buy and fix my turbo problem would be 800$ for a decent turbo and new manifold+gasket.

Fix Old 7m or sell and swap?

you can see the car on my space.. www.myspace.com/prfmusic
comments bitchs moans complaints all welcome
Raysupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
mirage83
12psi boost

mirage83 is on a distinguished road

Okay, it has all those problems AFTER it was rebuilt? If that's the case you really need to bitch-slap whoever did the rebuild for not taking care of all that stuff when it was put back together. That's SOP... Reassemble, check for leaks and functioning of all the assorted bolt-on parts and take care of any problems you find BEFORE it goes back to the owner or back on the road as road-worthy.

My opinion on selling it? I seriously doubt that you'll be able to get $900 for your engine and tranny with what you've told us. If the turbo did indeed die from oil starvation, then your nice blueprinted engine could easily have sustained at least some internal damage from the same culprit, low oil pressure or insufficient of oil flow. With the rest of the description of the problems it has I have to admit that I wouldn't touch it for even half of what you'd like to get out of it.

Some so-so good news is that you can get that turbo rebuilt or get a quality unit from DM or a couple of other places for about $500. You'd still have to install it, but you wouldn't have to worry about a DM turbo so long as you keep clean oil going to it. That applies to any turbo for that matter.

Not trying to be a downer here, but I'm really unsure what to recommend for you. My take would be to accomplish the aforementioned bitch-slapping of whoever put the engine back together with the accessories & stuff and then settle-in for a (depending on your level of disposable income) possibly prolonged downtime to fix the various external problems you have and cross my fingers that nothing vital internally (like rod bearings) suffered from a lack of oil. Send your turbo to DM (if they still want yours rather than just selling you one of theirs), and while it's off being rebuilt (and upgraded if you'd like, they do a great 57-trim upgrade) work on whatever gaskets & wiring issues you have or need to check on.
mirage83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
Raysupra
3" Exhaust

Default hmm

I Don't have much time.. If I could sell the whole motor and tranny for 400$ Id be ok... for A turbo that was 500$ a power steering pump maybe 200$ new hoses and the pump and fluid .... Valve cover gaskets maybe 40$ and time i probably wouldn't have and it needs all general tune up
thats 1100 bucks... I could buy a motor for that and put my tranny on that 1jz???...
Old 01-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysupra View Post
I Don't have much time....I could buy a motor for that and put my tranny on that 1jz???
Then forget the swap... Swaps always cost a lot more than you seem to think once the little things start popping up, take a lot longer than straight swapping in another of the same engine AND you have no guarantee that it will be in any better shape.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
mirage83
12psi boost

^ What he said. Swapping in a different model engine is never as simple as it's sometimes made out to be.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
Raysupra
3" Exhaust

Hmm Well how much would It cost to fix a exhaust leak/new turbo... turbo is about 500$ ... can you fix a manifold leak?... I dunno if the damn block is stripped or what.. the shit looks rusty but I dunno if I want to fuck with it more and make it worse?.. I got the time and tools to tinker just nothing to major.. 2 days of free time.. hmmmm i dont need powersteering..
my tranny just started makeing some weird noise today like the damn things running dry or something... no clue ... bleh I think I would be Sinking money into a black hole on this than on A replacement With any diffrent problems!!!

mine Runs Great... Everything else is Shit!!! plus starter relay is intermittant
so youve deterred me from a swap for now... till I atleast pay this thing off.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:32 AM   #7
mirage83
12psi boost

Exhaust manifold leaks aren't unknown on the 7M. In fact, if I remember correctly the relative softness of the head allows the EM studs to back/strip out eventually. That could well be the cause of your exhaust manifold leak. One of the better aftermarket Supra parts suppliers stocks a replacement stud kit for this, works like a charm and is under $100.

That leads to the question, are you certain the leak is at the manifold and not at the elbow or other gasketed joint? No matter where it is you'll want to fix it before you run it again or the exhaust gasses will start eroding & possibly cutting the surfaces, making sealing the thing back up difficult without some machining work.

You can get your turbo rebuilt for less if money is an overriding issue. There's a place in Canada I sent mine too a few years back, they did a good job on it for about $300. Blast Performance I think the name of the place was.

And don't let us talk you into or out of anything. We're simply making some observations and presenting our opinions and the reasoning behind them. Only you know your exact situation, how much time & money you're prepared to put into the car.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:49 AM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage83 View Post
Exhaust manifold leaks aren't unknown on the 7M. In fact, if I remember correctly the relative softness of the head allows the EM studs to back/strip out eventually. That could well be the cause of your exhaust manifold leak. One of the better aftermarket Supra parts suppliers stocks a replacement stud kit for this, works like a charm and is under $100.
Yeah, helicoil kits; Some of which accept the stock studs some come with new studs. BTW - They're a miserable HELL to install with the head still on the engine... I do NOT recommend trying it. Get it in crooked or crack the surrounding metal and you're really hosed. /disclaimer I've never experienced any trouble with a stud pulling out, but it is common. Make sure you don't over torque the studs, it'll help with the longevity and durability of the threads in the head.

Quote:
And don't let us talk you into or out of anything. We're simply making some observations and presenting our opinions and the reasoning behind them. Only you know your exact situation, how much time & money you're prepared to put into the car.
Agreed.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 01-04-2010 at 02:51 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:55 AM   #9
mirage83
12psi boost

Found the kit I was talking about, as luck would have it it's a Drift Motion set...

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...uststudkit.php

Haven't used it myself, but several people at SupraMania who have gotten it swear by it for taking care of pulled studs. I don't remember how many of them attempted the repair with the head still on the engine though.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:01 AM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
I don't remember how many of them attempted the repair with the head still on the engine though.
A few, the rest learned from their mistakes.

Tip Jar --->