View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
mirage83
12psi boost

mirage83 is on a distinguished road

Okay, it has all those problems AFTER it was rebuilt? If that's the case you really need to bitch-slap whoever did the rebuild for not taking care of all that stuff when it was put back together. That's SOP... Reassemble, check for leaks and functioning of all the assorted bolt-on parts and take care of any problems you find BEFORE it goes back to the owner or back on the road as road-worthy.

My opinion on selling it? I seriously doubt that you'll be able to get $900 for your engine and tranny with what you've told us. If the turbo did indeed die from oil starvation, then your nice blueprinted engine could easily have sustained at least some internal damage from the same culprit, low oil pressure or insufficient of oil flow. With the rest of the description of the problems it has I have to admit that I wouldn't touch it for even half of what you'd like to get out of it.

Some so-so good news is that you can get that turbo rebuilt or get a quality unit from DM or a couple of other places for about $500. You'd still have to install it, but you wouldn't have to worry about a DM turbo so long as you keep clean oil going to it. That applies to any turbo for that matter.

Not trying to be a downer here, but I'm really unsure what to recommend for you. My take would be to accomplish the aforementioned bitch-slapping of whoever put the engine back together with the accessories & stuff and then settle-in for a (depending on your level of disposable income) possibly prolonged downtime to fix the various external problems you have and cross my fingers that nothing vital internally (like rod bearings) suffered from a lack of oil. Send your turbo to DM (if they still want yours rather than just selling you one of theirs), and while it's off being rebuilt (and upgraded if you'd like, they do a great 57-trim upgrade) work on whatever gaskets & wiring issues you have or need to check on.
mirage83 is offline   Reply With Quote