Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 01-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
Androidrc
Stock

Androidrc is on a distinguished road
Default sputtering 7mgte any help?!

i have a 90 7mgte with the basic bolt on running stock boost. my problem is, yesterday it started missing like it was running on 5 cylinders. It did this once before about a month ago but i parked it for the night and it ran great in the morning. NOTE: it's FREEEEEZING OUT here in central pennsylvania!! i pulled the wires off the coils one at a time to see if it made a difference. Odd thing is it almost stalled out when i removed each of the 6 wires which means they were ALL firing. I know what a car sounds like when its missing on one cylinder my Celica did the same thing and its wires were shorting out....and this sounds just like it. It started doing this only at full boost....and then only when you gave it gas.....and now it even does it at idle....im just confused and hoping someone more familiar with the 7m has maybe seen this and knows what to do. - thanks for any help o yea side note....already has HKS MHG and does NOT use coolant so i dont think it a BHG.
Androidrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Any diagnostic codes stored?
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
Androidrc
Stock

Default sputtering

No codes as of yet. If it werent so damned cold out i could probably diagnose the problem but I know these cars problems are well covered by their niche market of owners and i was going to go the route of asking and hoping it was something common before suiting up and enduring the freezing cold for god knows how long. i have a video of the problem as soon as it uploads

Last edited by Androidrc; 01-02-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
Androidrc
Stock

Default video of problem

don't make fun of the orange wheels i needed something for snow tires
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fmuSSP0Rv4
Old 01-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

EDIT: n/m, saw your not about no codes
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
Androidrc
Stock

sorry i typed no codes but it somehow didnt insert it in my post. i had to edit it. ill check one more time cuz i know there can be codes with no light.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Check for split intake couplers and other leaks, check for oil around plugs, check plugs... that's where I'd start anyway. How's the timing look?

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-02-2010, 10:14 PM   #8
Androidrc
Stock

Default codes

pardon my previous ignorance i stand corrected. 4 count 'em 4 codes. 21, 23, 31 and 34 sputtering seems to continuously getting worse every time i start her up.
i cant find any explanation for code 23 if it even exists im sure i counted 2 then 3 blinks but its looking like the MAF and O2 sensor signals are screwed up and the turbocharger pressure is reading abnormally. im going to check the intercooler piping and hope its not the ECU.

Last edited by Androidrc; 01-02-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #9
Androidrc
Stock

Default more info

o yea and the cam sensor (distributor) is turned fully to the "up" position as far as possible but it's been there since i got the car almost 2 months ago. and there is oil in the plug galley but it's so cold out i might wait til the garage is free to check the plugs.....otherwise i would have long ago.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Oil in the plug galley WILL cause misfires. Codes 31 and 34 point to a bad AFM; 34 point to AFM or boost leak, but with the 31 a bad AFM is a bit more likely. You should get the mechanical timing issue and spark advance all in order ASAP as well as poor timing will make other misfire issues worse and hard as hell to properly diagnose. The order to approach is: Get the oil out of the galley! Test the AFM, swap in a good one for testing purposes if possible, reset mechanical timing one ALL error codes have been corrected, set ignition advance.

I've never heard of code 23 either.

EDIT: Google turns up reports that according to other TSRM for other vehicles 23 is pretty much the same as 24... IAT sensor problem. So, you may have a wiring issue to the AFM or the AFM was unplugged while the car was running at some time. a bad AFM is still possible, but a LITTLE less likely as the IAT shares very little of the rest of the internal circuit of the AFM.

Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 01-02-2010 at 10:34 PM.