Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 01-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
2Fast2Furious
3" Exhaust

2Fast2Furious is on a distinguished road
Default radiator drain plug

i think i might have a very slow leak from my radiator drain plug, it is very slow, maybe a drip every hour.

does anyone else buy a new plug when changing their coolant or use thread sealant.

I have tightened it wih plyers, I had to undo it with plyers.

shall have to keep an eye on it. I know it is recommended to replace the block drain plug when changing the coolant.
2Fast2Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why Green deleted his post... I agree with what he had to say. I only replace the plug if it's pitting or a couple years old. I always change the o-ring or gasket though.

Definitely shouldn't be using pliers to tighten it; Especially not if it is a nylon plug.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
2Fast2Furious
3" Exhaust

i WAS WONDERING what was going on.

I don't know but maybe the forum software needs updating or maybe it is my vista version but I have major issues here

I constantly have to refresh

and even open two tabs or windows at the same time in order to be able to post

this is even though I have an email or the thread details say there is a post but i click and it doesn't show up

very annoying, it pisses me off.

well I had to open it with plyers and only tightened it with plyers after I noticed it was dripping. I cudn't open it by hand. o'rings, gaskets for a drain plug WHAT??????

Last edited by 2Fast2Furious; 01-01-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not experiencing any issues on my end... perhaps a poor connection or need to reboot? If you've got links to other threads where that's happened send me them; Naturally, if a user posts a reply to a thread and then deletes it you still get the email about the reply as that was sent before it was deleted.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
2Fast2Furious
3" Exhaust

THE FORUM ISSUES HAPPEN ALOT, always to me on every post but not on other forums.

anyway what about gaskets and o'rings for a radiator drain plug, haven't heard of these?

also an open window gets stuck in refresh mode, it constantly reloads till I close it!

Last edited by 2Fast2Furious; 01-01-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Fast2Furious View Post
O'rings, gaskets for a drain plug WHAT??????
Yeah, O-rings and/or gaskets (well, washers I guess)... What what? You just have a regular old bolt shoved in there? lol

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
2Fast2Furious
3" Exhaust

sorry cre yr losing my respect, no harm intended.

the drain plug is the same drain plug I unscrewed.

it may just happen that this is a rare occurence.

U have helped me out alot with the cyclinder head covers, for which I am grateful.

EDIT: GROMMETS in Ireland are different than grommets in USA, rubber backed washers and 12 of them there are is accurate.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

I never change my drain plug when I coolant flush. seems a bit finicky to me. if your sure that's were your slow drip is coming from, is your car under pressure ? or is it constant but visible under pressure? I would shell out the 10 dollars and buy a new plug before renting a rad pressure tester. I bought one cause I like toys. that will confirm or deny your plug issue.

pliers hu? also seems a bit overkill to me. Hand tight should do the trick. possible you messed up gasket or the threads tightening that plastic screw so tight. purchase both replace. If you still see a leak rent a tester and confirm it.
/edit oops. its not your computer. i deleted the post my mistake../edit

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Last edited by Green7mgte; 01-01-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Huh? No idea what I'm "losing your respect over" but ok....

Whatever it is called doesn't matter much as long as we know we're both talking about the same thing. The point is that there should already be a seal of some sort on the drain plug... if there's not and it never came with one then it's not something I'm familiar with.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-01-2010, 10:31 PM   #10
2Fast2Furious
3" Exhaust

When I changed the coolant about a month ago i had to undo the radiator drain plug with plyers because it was impossible to undo it by hand.

I found the block drain plug only after I bought ramps to position the car on but it was impossible to undo it so I left it.

I filled the coolant system up with the 5.2 litres or so of 50/50 water/coolant after I had drained it and ran the engine through because I couldn't get the substantial amount of old coolant drained from the block because the block drain plug was impossible to undo.

I tightened the coolant drainplug by hand after I refilled the system but because I noticed liquid residude coming from the hose pipe that leads from the radiator drain plug (small amount by the why) I tightened it by plyers, the same way I undid it.

I don't see why this seems fecked up to u, afterall if you undo the block drain plug and you are recommended to replace this block drain plug at every coolant interval why should the radiator drain plug being replaced be such a big deal.

Last edited by 2Fast2Furious; 01-01-2010 at 10:54 PM.