Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIII Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/)
-   -   Newb to the site. Bought a 87 Yellow Supra Today. Introducing myself (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/15554-newb-to-the-site-bought-a-87-yellow-supra-today-introducing-myself.html)

AaronCDC 12-12-2009 07:41 AM

Newb to the site. Bought a 87 Yellow Supra Today. Introducing myself

Yup im a newb. i used to have a 85 supra. junker really but still it was a supra and i loved it. but now i have a 87 yellow toyota supra. 5 spd. targa top. with the tems. and 89 special edition white wheels? (what the previous owner told me) ill be posting pics soon i hope. or atleast a link to my myspace or facebook with the pics.... IF thats ok. name is Aaron. im 22. i do data entry for a living for now. i live in Shelton, WA. if anyone knows where that is or lives nearby let me know. i would love to get together with some other supra owners. anyways this is me. any more q's just let me know.

cre 12-12-2009 09:03 AM

Hey Aaron, welcome to the forum!

I'd prefer to see the pics posted here versus somewhere where a membership or the need to jump through other hoops might be a road block... but if you feel the need I don't think it's a problem.

So, you're becoming something of a collector eh? Expensive hobby, but I suppose it is cheaper than collecting Ferrari's or such.

White trim and white wheels on '89+ is the "white package". I don't know how limited it was or how many years it was available from the factory. Dealerships painted trim and rims on pre89's as a dealer white package; read a bit about that a few weeks ago. I'm going to have to look up the details on the white package again to refresh my memory now.

AaronCDC 12-12-2009 04:08 PM

yup

yeah that sounds kinda like what he said. but i just have the white wheels. ill get some pics up today. ill up load em here. actually since im the only one at work for now ill go take some pics right now. ill post in a bit. let me know what you all think. (p.s. i know it needs a paint job lol.)

AaronCDC 12-12-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cre (Post 75956)
Hey Aaron, welcome to the forum!

I'd prefer to see the pics posted here versus somewhere where a membership or the need to jump through other hoops might be a road block... but if you feel the need I don't think it's a problem.

So, you're becoming something of a collector eh? Expensive hobby, but I suppose it is cheaper than collecting Ferrari's or such.

White trim and white wheels on '89+ is the "white package". I don't know how limited it was or how many years it was available from the factory. Dealerships painted trim and rims on pre89's as a dealer white package; read a bit about that a few weeks ago. I'm going to have to look up the details on the white package again to refresh my memory now.

ok here is the pics of my car. ill put more up later but since im at work i took what i could for now. let me know what more pics you guys want and ill be sure to put em up

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...raInterior.jpghttp://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...cdc/Supra3.jpghttp://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...cdc/Supra2.jpghttp://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...acdc/Supra.jpg

And here is a couple pics of the car before i bought it. when i was test driving it. sorry there so dark ill get some better pics like i said
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...cdc/Supra4.jpghttp://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...cdc/Supra5.jpg

and just for fun here is some pics of my old supra. and underneath ill include a couple links to vids of it.... IT WAS LOUD... lil too loud i think.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...Picture107.jpghttp://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...Picture109.jpghttp://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...Picture108.jpghttp://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...Picture110.jpghttp://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...Picture106.jpg

Video 1: http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...Picture112.flv

Video 2: http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...Picture111.flv

cre 12-12-2009 07:30 PM

Not bad. Still riding like a 4x4 I see. ;) Nice and straight from what I can tell, any rust or is it clean?

Heh, didn't even see that it was yellow... White Package was a white car with white trim and white wheels... I know that much, just don't remember the other details.

AaronCDC 12-13-2009 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cre (Post 75970)
Not bad. Still riding like a 4x4 I see. ;) Nice and straight from what I can tell, any rust or is it clean?

Heh, didn't even see that it was yellow... White Package was a white car with white trim and white wheels... I know that much, just don't remember the other details.

yeah the previous owner got the wheels from someone and threw em on this one. and as far as i have seen SO FAR i have not seen ANY rust. bout the only thing i found that does not work is my dome lights. all fuses are good and i put in brand new bulbs.

cre 12-13-2009 07:03 PM

If the domes don't come on when the door are open or when you press the buttons you should check the ground inside the housing. It's a common fail point (on targa equipped MKIIIs in particular). The ground is just riveted to the housing and corrodes over time. Drill out the rivet, clean everything off with some sandpaper and put it all back together with a sheet metal screw. I'm pretty sure there's only one ground, but I could be wrong and there could be two; I haven't had to do this in a long time.

PS, the stock rims are directional. The driver's side front on your car is a passenger side rim... bet there's a drivers side rim on the passenger side. Sorry... just had to be nit-picky. :D

AaronCDC 12-13-2009 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cre (Post 76005)
If the domes don't come on when the door are open or when you press the buttons you should check the ground inside the housing. It's a common fail point (on targa equipped MKIIIs in particular). The ground is just riveted to the housing and corrodes over time. Drill out the rivet, clean everything off with some sandpaper and put it all back together with a sheet metal screw. I'm pretty sure there's only one ground, but I could be wrong and there could be two; I haven't had to do this in a long time.

PS, the stock rims are directional. The driver's side front on your car is a passenger side rim... bet there's a drivers side rim on the passenger side. Sorry... just had to be nit-picky. :D

oh nice to know. ill have to get those switched. thnks for lettin me know though. and yeah ill check out that ground. glad i joined this site or id be stumped lol. and i need a new cable to pop the hatch. but might splurge and just get a trunk popper. not sure which.

Cyto 12-14-2009 10:07 PM

Welcome lol
It's a nice car! lol I wish I had a 5 spd. Soon! lol

and that 85 was probably a beast. I see the giant exhaust coming out the back... Loud eh? lol

AaronCDC 12-14-2009 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyto (Post 76053)
Welcome lol
It's a nice car! lol I wish I had a 5 spd. Soon! lol

and that 85 was probably a beast. I see the giant exhaust coming out the back... Loud eh? lol

oh lord you have no idea. even at cruising speed on the highway my ears wanted to burst. it was SUPER loud.

Cyto 12-14-2009 10:20 PM

Did you have any mods done to it?

AaronCDC 12-14-2009 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyto (Post 76055)
Did you have any mods done to it?

just short ram intake thats about it. o and it was straight piped. no cat. with the muffler

AaronCDC 12-14-2009 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronCDC (Post 76056)
just short ram intake thats about it. o and it was straight piped. no cat. with the muffler

o and if you watch the vids. u can hear how loud it was lol

Green7mgte 12-15-2009 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronCDC (Post 76056)

thats prolly why its so loud.. stright pipes ftw.
im woundering about your 85. what are you doing with it? keeping it for parts? I bet you can find a market for it if you choose to peice it out here on the forum. oh and i must mention that i couldent help but chuckle watching vid#1.

you hear.. zooooommm then a little white car with a red door comes strolling by. epic.

cre 12-15-2009 05:36 AM

I can't stand straight pipes or N1 style mufflers on N/A.... always sound like pissed off sheep.

Open DP on N/As.... BRUTAL... my ears were ringing for days.

AaronCDC 12-15-2009 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green7mgte (Post 76153)
thats prolly why its so loud.. stright pipes ftw.
im woundering about your 85. what are you doing with it? keeping it for parts? I bet you can find a market for it if you choose to peice it out here on the forum. oh and i must mention that i couldent help but chuckle watching vid#1.

you hear.. zooooommm then a little white car with a red door comes strolling by. epic.

lol yes. i love that vid. its like VROOOM... where is the... o there is... o there it goes. VROOOOM. lol.

and to answer your q. the 85 has been gone for about a year or so. something went super wrong im guessing with it. so i gave it to some people that were down from the economy and they fixed it and sold it. then i got an srt4 then an acura. then some other vehicles now this. and im sticking with this cuz its awesome. lol.

im TRYING to find some headers for it. it has a 1.2mm head gasket in right now i wanna get a 3MM someone said its beter? (suggestions are nice). then i got a guy that well do the whole exhaust for super deal. take out the cat and slap in a flowmaster. i want something that will roar when im gettin on it but not roar when im just cruising (hondas take a hint.. o and grow some balls please. or just slap yourself)..... got some other ideas too but got some tickets to pay first.

cre 12-15-2009 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronCDC (Post 76159)
i wanna get a 3MM someone said its beter?

On a N/A? http://www.fadingworld.net/Smilies/rofl.gif

AaronCDC 12-15-2009 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cre (Post 76161)

yeah. but im kinda a newb so i figured someone on here could give me a good idea.... but i know for now the guy i got it from said he rebuilt it and used a 1.2mm instead of the stock? 0.8mm?

cre 12-15-2009 06:26 AM

The stock HG is 1.37mm. The thicker the head gasket the lower the compression ratio... not necessarily a desirable thing on a N/A.

AaronCDC 12-15-2009 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cre (Post 76163)
The stock HG is 1.37mm. The thicker the head gasket the lower the compression ratio... not necessarily a desirable thing on a N/A.

weird. thicker ones are more expensive lol. so if i went down to a 0.8 MM. which i saw one.... that would be like the best?

AaronCDC 12-15-2009 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronCDC (Post 76164)
weird. thicker ones are more expensive lol. so if i went down to a 0.8 MM. which i saw one.... that would be like the best?

meh sorry i looked wrong. i dont know where i got 0.8 but they have 84 mm bored head gaskets... thinnest i saw was 1.0mm and i have a 1.2mm would i notice much difference between the two?

cre 12-15-2009 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronCDC (Post 76164)

More materials....

and no... that would be blindly increasing the compression ratio. Granting you a very small bump in power and a nice large bump in risk of detonation. If you want it to be reliable, you want to go with the stock HG thickness + whatever was milled off when the head and block were machined. It's not worth the minimal gain, IMHO.

AaronCDC 12-15-2009 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cre (Post 76169)
More materials....

and no... that would be blindly increasing the compression ratio. Granting you a very small bump in power and a nice large bump in risk of detonation. If you want it to be reliable, you want to go with the stock HG thickness + whatever was milled off when the head and block were machined. It's not worth the minimal gain, IMHO.

o ok. hmmm. for now should my 1.2mm be ok though? cuz i thought bout just leaving it and gettin my headers and some other stuff done. ooo any idea on where to get a good deal on headers? or maybe someone has some just laying around that they dont want?

AaronCDC 12-15-2009 07:43 AM

and just wondering but i have the option in my car that has the range of gas left and my MPG and calendar and blah blah.... how rare is that? someone said its like super rare?

cre 12-15-2009 08:48 AM

I'm not going to tell you whether you should worry about the thinner HG or not... I don't know what else was done. I'd ask the previous owner if he happens to have a list of all the specs from the rebuild. Mainly you want to know how much material was shaved off the head and how much off the block, then you want to know if it was bored over and the thickness of the head gasket.

What you're referring to is the SuperMonitor. It was an option for pre89 MKIIIs, not available for 89+. I don't know that I'd say they're super rare... They're not common, but they're easy enough to find. I've actually got two or three packed up somewhere. They were very cool for the time and they're an excellent reminder of how far ahead of the curve Toyota was back then.

AaronCDC 12-15-2009 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cre (Post 76172)
I'm not going to tell you whether you should worry about the thinner HG or not... I don't know what else was done. I'd ask the previous owner if he happens to have a list of all the specs from the rebuild. Mainly you want to know how much material was shaved off the head and how much off the block, then you want to know if it was bored over and the thickness of the head gasket.

What you're referring to is the SuperMonitor. It was an option for pre89 MKIIIs, not available for 89+. I don't know that I'd say they're super rare... They're not common, but they're easy enough to find. I've actually got two or three packed up somewhere. They were very cool for the time and they're an excellent reminder of how far ahead of the curve Toyota was back then.

nice yeah lol. ill ask him. i know Transmission and engine have under 10k on em. and the body itself hasn't hit 120k yet so i got a while for this car yet.

yeah the cars are pretty advance. i was showing it off to my co-workers and they were like. huh. they had this technology in 87. i was like yeah i told you it wasn't me that was the only great thing about 87 lol.

but yeah for sure ill ask him.....

thinking about getting the car rapainted too. any color suggestions or maybe leave it yellow?

Green7mgte 12-15-2009 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronCDC (Post 76181)
thinking about getting the car rapainted too. any color suggestions or maybe leave it yellow?

that one is pretty much up to you. I heard it was difficult to change the color from original. I myself am a purist. meaning no matter what mods I may have or may do to my car. I will keep my stock look or incorporate them the best I can to maintain said stock look. Yes i have a new cd player yes i have a sirius and a gps. but I added them flushly into my dash by removing my ciggerret holder and using the extra space under my cd player. my turbo timer Ill prolly mount that into my glove box once i get it if applicable. my radar detector is attatched to my sun viser. and once I get my engine upgraded a tad I would want to actually mount my new guages into the dash itself. Things that are flashy and covering the inside of the car just look ugly to me. But if all that proves to be outside my skill range then yes ill just have them in plain sight.. bah

AaronCDC 12-15-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green7mgte (Post 76182)
that one is pretty much up to you. I heard it was difficult to change the color from original. I myself am a purist. meaning no matter what mods I may have or may do to my car. I will keep my stock look or incorporate them the best I can to maintain said stock look. Yes i have a new cd player yes i have a sirius and a gps. but I added them flushly into my dash by removing my ciggerret holder and using the extra space under my cd player. my turbo timer Ill prolly mount that into my glove box once i get it if applicable. my radar detector is attatched to my sun viser. and once I get my engine upgraded a tad I would want to actually mount my new guages into the dash itself. Things that are flashy and covering the inside of the car just look ugly to me. But if all that proves to be outside my skill range then yes ill just have them in plain sight.. bah

i try not to keep things too much in view. i try not to use screws either im all about super stick velcro strips lol. i got a thing that has 3 cigarette lights spots on it that i use so i can have my gps and radar all on at once. used to have one of those horns that has like a butt load of diff sounds like animal or sirens or a PA but that i dont really want in my supra.... other then that. i WISH i had a turbo cuz then id be talkin about gettin a gauge to lol. ... and yeah i kinda like the color i might just get it redone. its nice to be able to see my car in the parking lot cuz hey how many people really have a bright yellow friggin car :D

Green7mgte 12-15-2009 05:38 PM

my radar detector is hooked directly into my fuse box. I cut the cig adapter off spliced the wires added a fuse and connector (lil two pronged thing to the hot wire. please excuse my overly technical description) plugged the hot directly into an open 15v fuse under my driver side kick pannel and just grounded the other wire to the driver side firewall grounding bolt. and as for my gps and sirius. like i said i removed my ash tray cause I do not smoke in my car. mounted my sirius were that used to be and d/c my cig lighter. installed a 3 pronged one and left it in the cavity.. no wires are showing anywere. looks nice and flush with my dash. out of sight out of mind.. stock professional the way i like it.

AaronCDC 12-15-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green7mgte (Post 76184)
my radar detector is hooked directly into my fuse box. I cut the cig adapter off spliced the wires added a fuse and connector (lil two pronged thing to the hot wire. please excuse my overly technical description) plugged the hot directly into an open 15v fuse under my driver side kick pannel and just grounded the other wire to the drive side firewall grounding bolt.

wow thats pretty.... well.... smart.... never thought about that. hmmm.. and i love your technical description.. reminds me of... well me. lol. i may have to look into that. :D

Green7mgte 12-15-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronCDC (Post 76185)
wow thats pretty.... well.... smart.... never thought about that. hmmm.. and i love your technical description.. reminds me of... well me. lol. i may have to look into that. :D

im only 2 years older then you.

the hardest and smartest part was just adding a fuse. I hate seeing wires I hate things plugged into my cig lighter.

yea total install time.. 1/2 beer. and the fuse and a bunch of wires and things costs under 5 dollars,

AaronCDC 12-15-2009 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green7mgte (Post 76186)
im only 2 years older then you.

the hardest and smartest part was just adding a fuse. I hate seeing wires I hate things plugged into my cig lighter.

yea total install time.. 1/2 beer. and the fuse and a bunch of wires and things costs under 5 dollars,

if your talkin like normal fuses used in the fuse box i have a shit load of em lol. aww so 85 was a good year then? lol. my 85 supra was pretty powerful... course not like my 87:D but my 87 will be more powerful soon enough... someone at my work wants to race lol. they got a 07 VOLVO S40.. stock there power and torque is a lil more then what 87 supra is stock. but not by much with that turbo though argh. stupid volvo and there stupid turbo t5's

MA70-3.0GT 12-15-2009 06:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Just my 2p on the paint (and entirely my own biased opinion), but I think black is the only colour for an MA70. Plain black like stock's fine but BMW DiamantSchwartzMetallik is just gorgeous!

Oh, a couple of pics of the reason for my bias...

AaronCDC 12-15-2009 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MA70-3.0GT (Post 76191)
Just my 2p on the paint (and entirely my own biased opinion), but I think black is the only colour for an MA70. Plain black like stock's fine but BMW DiamantSchwartzMetallik is just gorgeous!

Oh, a couple of pics of the reason for my bias...

lol very nice. and i love your signature lol

Green7mgte 12-16-2009 03:11 AM

i do agree that black is the best color for having smoked out side markers and clear signals. also cool for tint.

AaronCDC 12-16-2009 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green7mgte (Post 76214)
i do agree that black is the best color for having smoked out side markers and clear signals. also cool for tint.

yeah i need to redo my tint its friggin purple. BLEH

AaronCDC 12-16-2009 08:50 AM

Bad news

WELL... I just got the car thursday. never took it over 80 Mph.. only driven it 244 miles (literally) and now it blew a hole in the side of the engine. supra's are my dream cars..... and now my dream is gone. hopefully ill figure something out. and the guy that sold me the car said it had rebuilt engine and tranny with under 10k. but he wont respond to text or calls..... oh well on the head gasket suggestion... what good a HG gunna do now with a huge hole in the side. lol. .... if wanted ill keep all the supra lovers updated. :(

cre 12-16-2009 07:02 PM

Wow... so you literally threw a rod out the side of the block? That's terrible. Do you have a garage? If you've got a place and the money it may (already) be time to do a GTE swap. :D See... good out of bad. ;)

I'm really bummed for ya though. That sucks big time. I'd like more details on what happened, but you won't really know until you get the engine out and apart... if you're planning on even going to the trouble.

AaronCDC 12-16-2009 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cre (Post 76232)
Wow... so you literally threw a rod out the side of the block? That's terrible. Do you have a garage? If you've got a place and the money it may (already) be time to do a GTE swap. :D See... good out of bad. ;)

I'm really bummed for ya though. That sucks big time. I'd like more details on what happened, but you won't really know until you get the engine out and apart... if you're planning on even going to the trouble.

id like to go through the trouble lol. from what i told my mechanic he said it sounds like the oil pump went out and went out really fast. cuz like yesterday it was fine. not one prob. all fluids were good. gauges good. then on way home i noticed the oil level seemed lil low. and i heard a sound. i stopped checke oil. added a little bit of oil. then about 2 miles down the road it happend.

lol if i could get a GTE for a decent price your damn right i would. but would all the stock supra parts handle the added power? also i gotta wait to find out what the previous owner wants to do. cuz im making payments to him on it and i didnt even drive it hard or anything and im seeing if he is gunna be a dick or not. now i gotta drive my parents CRX to work. ARGH.

o and yeah i got a place to do work on my car. i got friends lol.

Green7mgte 12-18-2009 06:08 AM

wow thats a bummber. you can get an ebay motor for a little over a grand.. I never bought an engine from ebay or know anyone who has. Just saying I seen them on there all the time.. what did the oil pressure gauge look like just before the catastrophic failure. do 89's have oil pressure gauges? If they do the normal is just at 40 or the next lowest line depending on temp.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=260509008153
-pic of a oil pressure gauge

for instance in the summer time My gauge is just at the 40 mark never above it. and atm right now its about 30 degrees outside and its down between the two.