Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 11-03-2009, 05:13 AM   #1
Supra_Sicc
Stock

Supra_Sicc is on a distinguished road
Default Coil pack issues!!!!

my two new coil packs are dead. I had them on and fired right up. drove it around and hit a big bump.and then the dreaded stall...i immediatly checked the coils... and no fucking spark on the two new ones. i noticed my ground was broken(did it fry them? and if so why just those two and not my old one. maybe a split line shorting the two out?)and now gonna try indvidual grounds on each pack.. and if they are fried i got a year warrenty on em.

And boy today was the first time i got to drive the beast(bought the beast saturday not running)no spark to the two coil packs on their and a broken ground.... same situation. but the motor pulls smoothly up to 4.5 grand( didnt wanna push it) this is the first car ive bought. i guess you get what you pay for.1400...

Last edited by Supra_Sicc; 11-03-2009 at 05:20 AM.
Supra_Sicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:43 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The 7M-GTE runs a "wasted spark" setup. Which cylinders are dropping out on you? It's quite likely the igniter or the wiring in between is the problem.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:13 AM   #3
Supra_Sicc
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
The 7M-GTE runs a "wasted spark" setup. Which cylinders are dropping out on you? It's quite likely the igniter or the wiring in between is the problem.

it is 1-6-3-4 are the ones dropping out. which fucking sounds like the wiring inbetween .
Hks ssqv blow off valve/Tokico Blue Suspension/Greddy Turbo Timer/ARP Head Studs,torqued to 85lbs/Titan Motorsports Metal Head Gasket/RPS Max Pressure Plate/Toyota Turbo Clutch Disc/1 PC Aluminum Driveshaft.

I need help with my turbo timer!!!
Old 11-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
MA70-3.0GT
12psi boost

MA70-3.0GT is on a distinguished road

Hi, I've got running issues too but there's no need for language like that mate. Supra's are a pretty cool car & I'd imagine a fair few kids read this forum as a result... Not that I'm offended in any way (you wanna hear the mouth I've got on me) but there's no way it can just slip out when you're typing it.
MA70-3.0GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
Supra_Sicc
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA70-3.0GT View Post
Hi, I've got running issues too but there's no need for language like that mate. Supra's are a pretty cool car & I'd imagine a fair few kids read this forum as a result... Not that I'm offended in any way (you wanna hear the mouth I've got on me) but there's no way it can just slip out when you're typing it.

ok well im alittle frustrated. i love the car handles and runs great. when it does run but it keeps llosing power to the first 2 coil packs and leaving the third one(or first one off the harness) with spark. so maybe its in the splice were the other 2 keep loosing power or bad connection
Hks ssqv blow off valve/Tokico Blue Suspension/Greddy Turbo Timer/ARP Head Studs,torqued to 85lbs/Titan Motorsports Metal Head Gasket/RPS Max Pressure Plate/Toyota Turbo Clutch Disc/1 PC Aluminum Driveshaft.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:52 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Start here: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...aspx?S=IG&P=12

A bad ground can cause crap performance but it won't kill a coil.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:17 AM   #7
Supra_Sicc
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Start here: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...aspx?S=IG&P=12

A bad ground can cause crap performance but it won't kill a coil.
thanks for the link i was just about to go look for one. Im thinking it shorted out. the 3 hot wires coming from the harness going into the coil pack were exposed completly at the splice. so i re heat shrinked it. but all my coil packs are dead. i got power going to them but nothing coming out. -_-. anyone have a coil pack for sale?

Old 11-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
2jzmaestro
Stock

2jzmaestro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_Sicc View Post
thanks for the link i was just about to go look for one. Im thinking it shorted out. the 3 hot wires coming from the harness going into the coil pack were exposed completly at the splice. so i re heat shrinked it. but all my coil packs are dead. i got power going to them but nothing coming out. -_-. anyone have a coil pack for sale?
i found some coil packs on http://www.toyotapartszone.com

they are pretty cheap. might as well buy new ones and if anythign return them haha jk
2jzmaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:57 AM   #9
Supra_Sicc
Stock

Default woot new coils

thanks for link, im assuming i fixed the problem. does it make sense that my coils could have shorted out due to the exposed power wires -_- should have noticed that when reinstalling the new coil pack.

18 yrs old, senior in highschool, and work 45+hours a week at an autobody shop. but no ill buy a non running 7mgte swapped supra lol the heart ache was worth it. hopefully shes running saturday (when my coils come in the mail)

Old 11-05-2009, 05:07 AM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

You're more likely to destroy the igniter or ECU from shorts in that area then the coils.

Which wires were shorted? Post colors and pin numbers: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...x?S=Main&P=040

You really need to dig in and clean up that harness if you've got that many exposed wires... it's possible there's a lot more damage than just that unless you know that area's screwed up just from someone dicking with it in the past.

Measure the resistance across all of the coils and compare, that'll help you identify which ones really are suspect... if any. The process is covered in the link I gave you, did you bother to do it? http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...aspx?S=IG&P=12