Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 10-25-2009, 03:54 AM   #1
suprajim
Intake

suprajim is on a distinguished road
Default Where is this hose supposed to lead to?

Ok, first let me apologize for my terminololgy....still learning the in's and out's of this car. So, I recently bought my 92 Turbo and was looking under the hood and noticed that there was a straight metal tube coming from the stock bypass valve and the other end was not hooked up to anything. So I looked at a few photos online and discovered that it should be connected to the top of the intake manifold (two red arrows in photo should be connected). However, there is another small metal tube with a bend at the end of it (see yellow arrow pointing to it in photo) that was hooked up to the manifold instead. My question is where SHOULD the tube with the bend be connected to? I have looked at photos and saw a hose coming up from somewhere below or next to the engine, but I don't see anything like that on mine. Please help!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tube2.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	2519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tube.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	2520  
suprajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:28 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

If the BPV wasn't connected I'd inspect the turbo for any signs of damage.

The straight line is supposed to be connected to the BVSV and the other end to the TB port you show.

The BPV is supposed to connect to the bent line and the the other side which you have marked with the yellow arrow runs to a hard pipe lower down.

These diagrams show the vacuum lines you need:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...spx?F=1708&P=3

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...spx?F=2211&P=2
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
suprajim
Intake

Thanks for the help cre. So, it looks like the prior owner connected the wrong tubes, so I will switch those out. The other end of the curved tube was connected to the BVSV. However, I looked again and still could not see the hard line (22205 in diagram) that the tube from the BPV should connect to. Looking at the diagram from the TSRM, it shows the the hard line leads to a hose (22230w). Where does that hose connect to? I'm not sure if the hard line is the only thing missing or I need to get more parts. I am making a list of all the parts needed so I can order them all at one time. The turbo seems fine from what I can tell, no shaft play or anything. But now I'm nervous about any other damage that may have been done.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:51 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at the first diagram it shows the bent line with no connected hose. Below the intake manifold it shows one of the nipples of the hard line assembly with no hose connected. I *think* I recall that being the connection you're looking for.

I don't have a GTE and haven't worked on one in a while (not the intake anyway) so I'm not 100% sure. I will call and see if one of the guys I know locally with a GTE is willing to go poke around under the hood and check for me... dunno how likely that is tonight though.. the weather's crap.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:55 AM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

As for your concerns about things being messed up. Pull and read the spark plugs for signs of running lean and excessive heat; and do a compression test.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:36 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Okay, my good friend Andy (helped me turbo my N/A recently) bought himself a GTE a couple weeks ago and was good enough to go digging under the hood for me. It does connect to the hardpipe I suggested earlier. I drew a picture, but the crayon just wasn't doing it for me.. so I had my pug make this diagram for you instead:

Click image for larger version

Name:	BPV piping.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	2521

I hope this helps get things back in order.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:01 AM   #7
suprajim
Intake

I will take a look once the weather clears up and post what I find. Thanks again for the info.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:43 AM   #8
suprajim
Intake

Ok, so I found the hose that is supposed to be hooked up to the BPV. It had a bolt in the end of it capping it off. I removed the bolt and hooked it up to the BPV. I started the car and everything seemed fine. As the car warmed up and the RPM's dropped to normal idle, it is idling really rough and erratic. It sounds like it wants to die, but never actually does. I give it a little gas and it's fine, but as soon as I let off and let it idle, it becomes rough again. I know a vacuum leak can make it idle rough, but don't hear any hissing anywhere to indicate a leak. I don't understand why it would run better without it hooked up to the BPV. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Check all the usual suspects, vacuum leaks (use an aid to be sure you're not missing one: propane, brake cleaner...), timing, verify ALL of the vacuum routing, test the BPV to see it the diaphragm isn't split and creating a leak there.