Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 10-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
jvginpdx
Stock

jvginpdx is on a distinguished road
Default Torque convertor issue

I have a 1990 Cressida, same as Supra.

When I pulled the engine to fix the usual BHG problem, I thought I could use the opportunity to pull the torque convertor out and pour out the ATF. I have pulled torque convertors before on old Chevys, they go back on any old way. So I just shoved it in any old way, and noticed that the engine would not bolt up. So I partially tightened the bolts on the right side, then got an extra long bolt on the left side, so it would grab. The engine was at a slight angle at the time. Still would not go in. I heard a POP ! noise. and thought OH F--- ! What did I ruin.

I pulled the engine back out. My flexplate is bent badly, so I need an other one. Now the POP. It could have been the nipple part of the torque convertor popping in to the crank shaft suddenly, or it could mean damage inside the pump? How should I check things out? Should I pull the pump and take it to a transmission place to get checked out?

I noticed that the notch in the torque convertor needs to slide over the raised fingers in the transmission. It needs to go on exactly right, orit wont fit. Is there a trick to getting it on easily, or is this just trial and error?

Any help is appreciated!
jvginpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
jvginpdx
Stock

answering my own post. I knew that the torque convertor was not in all the way. when I heard the POP noise I thought that the nipple thing on the torque convertor popped into the crankshaft. But the noise could also have been a broken item in the A/T front pump. I stopped for a while while I investigated and nursed my sore back.

I got a dial type meter to determine if the flex plate was bent. It was, and badly. It got tweaked when I tried to install the engine cock-eyed. 35 bucks for one from the wrecking yard, for a replacement. I looked at the nipple on the torque convertor, it appeared to be distorted. I ground off some metal with my dremel. I did a test fit into the crankshaft, all ok. Then I removed the pump from the transmission. I took it apart to check for cracks. None found. I was lucky.

I ordered a new O ring seal and the front main seal. I do not want the dang thing leaking, just because I wanted to save a few bucks. Too dang difficult to fix later.

Last edited by jvginpdx; 10-27-2009 at 08:16 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 10-23-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for concluding the thread with your finding. People so seldom do so and it is VERY helpful to other users in the future who may have the same problem. I can't count the number of times I've searched for something only to find that 1,000 other people have had the same question but no one posts the actual solution.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
jvginpdx
Stock

Default make sure it is in neutral

An update. I took the pump apart, found no damage. Tried to put it back on, it would not go back on all the way. The input shaft had pulled out about 1/2 inch when I took the pump out. It would not go back in...

So I looked at the instructions for taking the transmission apart.. something I have never done. I found that the drive shaft was attached to the overdrive unit, and it needed to come out. I discovered that the only way to get it back together was to remove the snap ring, then put it back together, piece by piece. I was soooo happy to have the tsrm on line to look at...... I did get it back together, and it did go back into the trans properly. I noticed that the shaft still would not turn, which was my original problem.

Then the DUH moment. I had asked my son to put the trans in neutral, so that the shaft would turn. So I checked what position the shifter was in.... DRIVE !!! So I shifted to neutral.... and the shaft turns... and the torque convertor will just spin on as it should, oh happy day..

So always make sure the trans is in neutral before putting the convertor on, or it will not fit......