Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 10-13-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
nu_supra04
Stock

nu_supra04 is on a distinguished road
Default R.i.p

Totaled the car
now im back to square one looking for a supra again
only had her for a month but it was the best month of the year
sigh* any similar stories?
nu_supra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
Krem
3" Exhaust

Krem is on a distinguished road

I bought my mk3 sept. 1st, 2009... sept. 12th I take her in for oil change at my buddies jiffy lube. Got two guys I know, trust and have befriended on a personal level that work there. Both agreed I got a steal of a deal and the car was in great shape. Only thing one of them found wrong (since he was under the car) was worn tires towards the inside of the car and told me my alignment was off and the tires were ready to blow. After that, took my car to get two new tires (luckily the brand of z rated tires on my car already were in stock). After having the fronts replaced with the perfectly good rear tires and having the new tires put on the rear, I go over to get my alignment and brakes done (since they were making metal on metal scrapping squeeks whenever I apply them).

The mechanics told me what great condition the car was in until I told them I had just acquired it... all of a sudden they thought I was a schmuck who didn't know the first thing about cars... telling me good parts needed to be replaced... thus charging labor rates on job(s) that never were done cause they didn't need to be done. They even mentioned I needed a new serp. belt when that was addressed no more than 4 months prior to purchasing the car. I left w/ no repairs done..

Sept 16, 2009, car dies making a right turn on the way into work and was towed home and sat till I could afford to give her attention on October 9th, 2009.. Took her into the shop on the 10th for diagnostics rather than waste $300 and a weekend fixing something I thought was 'probably' the problem... glad I did too cause the fuel pump was not the problem... had a busted distributor shaft near the gear and my engine wasn't getting the spark it needed. Or so I was told this morning. Several hours later, still no call saying it's fixed... so I'm hoping they're still waiting on the distributor cause the alternative is: "Well, we fixed it, but still have a problem." at which point I cannot afford to do anything more...

I've gotten to drive her for two weeks, and it was a fun two weeks... I've been waiting a year and a half to find (what I thought to be) a reliable mk3 and now that I have her, I get to wait even longer to drive her..

Sorry to hear about your wreck... I had a close call the first week of having mine when a lady making a left turn from an adjacent shopping center cut across all lanes of oncoming traffic, while looking right instead of at oncoming traffic..
Krem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
nu_supra04
Stock

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krem View Post
I bought my mk3 sept. 1st, 2009... sept. 12th I take her in for oil change at my buddies jiffy lube. Got two guys I know, trust and have befriended on a personal level that work there. Both agreed I got a steal of a deal and the car was in great shape. Only thing one of them found wrong (since he was under the car) was worn tires towards the inside of the car and told me my alignment was off and the tires were ready to blow. After that, took my car to get two new tires (luckily the brand of z rated tires on my car already were in stock). After having the fronts replaced with the perfectly good rear tires and having the new tires put on the rear, I go over to get my alignment and brakes done (since they were making metal on metal scrapping squeeks whenever I apply them).

The mechanics told me what great condition the car was in until I told them I had just acquired it... all of a sudden they thought I was a schmuck who didn't know the first thing about cars... telling me good parts needed to be replaced... thus charging labor rates on job(s) that never were done cause they didn't need to be done. They even mentioned I needed a new serp. belt when that was addressed no more than 4 months prior to purchasing the car. I left w/ no repairs done..

Sept 16, 2009, car dies making a right turn on the way into work and was towed home and sat till I could afford to give her attention on October 9th, 2009.. Took her into the shop on the 10th for diagnostics rather than waste $300 and a weekend fixing something I thought was 'probably' the problem... glad I did too cause the fuel pump was not the problem... had a busted distributor shaft near the gear and my engine wasn't getting the spark it needed. Or so I was told this morning. Several hours later, still no call saying it's fixed... so I'm hoping they're still waiting on the distributor cause the alternative is: "Well, we fixed it, but still have a problem." at which point I cannot afford to do anything more...

I've gotten to drive her for two weeks, and it was a fun two weeks... I've been waiting a year and a half to find (what I thought to be) a reliable mk3 and now that I have her, I get to wait even longer to drive her..

Sorry to hear about your wreck... I had a close call the first week of having mine when a lady making a left turn from an adjacent shopping center cut across all lanes of oncoming traffic, while looking right instead of at oncoming traffic..
Wow sorry to hear about your supra...Mine was having an oil problem leaking but that was going to be fixed until the the accident. yea it sucks but the one thing i can as a good thing is that im living and breathing. And that nobody was hurt but the supra's life is over. :/
Old 10-13-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
Krem
3" Exhaust

any assistance from insurance companies? that should help if available... and mine also has an oil leak or so I think... only seen the leak once on a span of two days when it was cold outside... after it warmed up again, no more leak... since... so I'm thinking prob somewhere pressure is escaping and when the oil thickens as it cools, it's pushed out from the oil pan pressure... However, the oil pressure when running is within specs... on the very low end, but still within specs... so I'm hoping she'll hang in there for another month till I can get another $500 to spend on dropping the suspension and engine... Good luck to you.. hope you find positive resolution soon..
Old 10-16-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
nu_supra04
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krem View Post
any assistance from insurance companies? that should help if available... and mine also has an oil leak or so I think... only seen the leak once on a span of two days when it was cold outside... after it warmed up again, no more leak... since... so I'm thinking prob somewhere pressure is escaping and when the oil thickens as it cools, it's pushed out from the oil pan pressure... However, the oil pressure when running is within specs... on the very low end, but still within specs... so I'm hoping she'll hang in there for another month till I can get another $500 to spend on dropping the suspension and engine... Good luck to you.. hope you find positive resolution soon..
THanks I am waiting on the insurance to see what options they give me concerning the car but I don't know how long that takes. I'll try to post pictures of the damage in case anybody wants to see.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:11 AM   #6
supraman623
Intake

supraman623 is on a distinguished road

i have 95 supra that i got when i was 17 but i had been wrecked and needed about 3000 in work. after finally getting the money i needed to fix it, took me a year and a half, i got it on the road. the only thing i was missing was some new rubbers. the ones on it were basically slicks they were so bald. anyways the 3 day of having it on the road it was raining really hard and i was making a left hand turn on a slick road. long story short i went onto the sidwalk and ran into a metal fence at like 5 mph. now im back to were i started
supraman623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:14 AM   #7
nu_supra04
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraman623 View Post
i have 95 supra that i got when i was 17 but i had been wrecked and needed about 3000 in work. after finally getting the money i needed to fix it, took me a year and a half, i got it on the road. the only thing i was missing was some new rubbers. the ones on it were basically slicks they were so bald. anyways the 3 day of having it on the road it was raining really hard and i was making a left hand turn on a slick road. long story short i went onto the sidwalk and ran into a metal fence at like 5 mph. now im back to were i started
Dang man, that really sucks hopefully every thing works for you did you have full coverage?
Old 10-19-2009, 01:01 AM   #8
Krem
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraman623 View Post
Are you Terry Hogan's son by chance? Jk... but I weap when I hear about mk4's getting totaled... and r34's.. Kidding aside... to have a mk4 at 17 yo is lucky.. I'm pushin twice that age and just barely getting my hands on a mk3.. hope all works good for you soon.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #9
nu_supra04
Stock

Default *Update*

So it took me two years and having to drive a honda to finally get back to a supra. The only bummer part is its a 7mge but after i save a bit it will be a 7mgte. so far i've purchased eibach springs and kyb gr2 shocks and looking for what else i can do to fix/upgrade the suspension any tips will be nice.
And its gooooood to be back in a supra.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
pandrade
12psi boost

pandrade is on a distinguished road

i might be a bit off on this but i rescued my supra from 7 years siting in lee high would barly turn over and i just couldent let it die in these horrible condisons so i got the car for a trade and 2K later its running well and prognosis looks great

sorry for everyones lost supra's may they R.I.P
pandrade is offline   Reply With Quote