Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 10-12-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
Bruno Molly
Stock

Bruno Molly is on a distinguished road
Default 7MGTE Woes.....Thought BHG but Nnnnnno! WTF!

wOw....Interesting event. My son and I used my old MKIII as a father son project when he was in his last year of school last year and we replaced some much needed parts on the 89 MKIII. Retorqued head, new gaskets, replaced the oil dumping CT-26 with a slightly used one that didn't dump oil into the intake.. Ok all good. Friday night he called me and asked to come get him. Said car was steaming and spewing coolant... Ha! Ok so I figured BHG right off the heezy.....Just like waiting for wifey to have the baby...IT'S THAT TIME I thought.... since it was dark all I could was try to crank it and get it home...Skipping like a Kangaroo, I was only an 1/8 mile from home to begin with...got up enough speed to coast into the driveway. Felt like it was running on 3 cylinders.
The next Day.....
Spark plug valley was flooded with coolant, plug wires were shorting out was contributing to the terrible Misfiring..
LSS...compression tests show 125-125-0-120-120-115. Ok...so now I was gonna do leak down test (I just went through alllllll this a month ago with my Volvo 850 R) so removed the VCovers to see the cam lobes and used a long screwdriver to Feel Cyl#3 piston arrive at TDC...PISTON DOESN'T MOVE....AT ALL!!...
There Is....
~No oil in the Coolant
~No Coolant in the oil
~ Possibly a bad radiator Cap which flooded the engine bay IMO.
~NO broken hoses
Quicky....
Given that the engine was sprayed with coolant and he continued to drive with it backfiring and sputtering, could this backlash of engine jutter cause a rod to break???
Anyone ever encounter this? No loud engine noise, just skipping really bad, but #3 piston prolly has a broken rod or something. Engine Never knocked once on me. My son was driving it and had just gotten off the highway when this happened..NOw there's probablly more to the story but I'll never as hell know. But he's a mild mannered kid and babies this thing cause he doesn't want it to break cause now he has no transportation...
I will pull the oil sump one day this week to see just what is up, but Has anyone every encountered this problem before???? just curious. As usually a rod comes thru the block if it snaps in two. Sorry for the long post but Details speak volumes..
Incidently, my 850 R Smokes this thing...and it should be the other way around but Volvo is on a level that can't be explained....

Just to give you an idea of what the car looks like before and after,

Mr. Molly

Last edited by Bruno Molly; 10-12-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Bruno Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
twan
Stock

twan is on a distinguished road

so how much coolant is there left in the radiator and reservoir? i know there is two coolant lines going through the throttle body, one day i took them off and it flooded the spark plug valley like you said.
when i was rebuilding this seized engine a while back i found that it over heated and the piston welded itself to the cylinder sleeve and the connecting rod bent itself trying to push the seized piston. your connecting rod probably broke but doesn't necessarily mean it has to go through the block.

anyways good luck! hopefully its not expensive to repair and let us know what happens!
twan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Bruno Molly
Stock

Bruno Molly is on a distinguished road
Default Engine Woes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twan View Post
so how much coolant is there left in the radiator and reservoir? i know there is two coolant lines going through the throttle body, one day i took them off and it flooded the spark plug valley like you said.
when i was rebuilding this seized engine a while back i found that it over heated and the piston welded itself to the cylinder sleeve and the connecting rod bent itself trying to push the seized piston. your connecting rod probably broke but doesn't necessarily mean it has to go through the block.

anyways good luck! hopefully its not expensive to repair and let us know what happens!
Excellent... I will kno when I drop the oil pan. hopefully i can get away with just replacing the piston and rod. If all goes well, new rings and bearings. Engine has close to 200k on the clock and I was expecting something catastrophic eventually... BHG was what I was expecting...i will update as soon as i kno for sure. Thanks for the ensight. When I bought the car about 10 years ago, The engine that was in it did the same thing you mentioned. It was Toast! In parts, and the head looked like it had been Hammered with a piece of metal and rendered useless. I still have the old head with all the Valves and camshaft but the Block was shot. i scrapped it about 8 years ago...now i wished I had kept it . The Crank was probably still good.
Bruno Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:36 AM   #4
h0h0
Stock

h0h0 is on a distinguished road

That's crazy, that happened to me the other night.
I lost basically all my coolant!
White smoke out of the exhaust.
Horribly rough idling.
And Coolant overflow all the way to the top spewing all over my intercooler.
I found a significant amount of oil in my spark plug valley? Valve colver gasket or grommet?
What is that black piece that sits on top of the Spark plugs all the way from front to back?
Im doing a compression check next week to find out my issue.
Im thinking its BHG, but you never know.
MY spark plugs were disgusting aswell, they were either Wet/Saturated from all the fuel.

Modifications-
-None yet, Need a better paying job first. Hehe.
h0h0 is offline   Reply With Quote