Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 04-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
destro
Stock

destro is on a distinguished road
Default 89 Supra Starter Issue, anyone with pictures?

Got an 89 NA Supra 5spd. that has had some starting issues, lately had the no click symptom when you turn the key. Took it into a mech who said my ground wire on the battery was bad, fixed that and no problems since. Tested starter and replaced battery to be safe, starter supposedly fine.

Today started the car up and it did so great, then drove for about 5 minutes, got gas & tried to turn car back on and nothing, no click is back again! Lucky they had a jump box and that seemed to help, although the mech who helped out said he also heard that no click right before it kicked over and said my starter might be ready to go.

Anyone thinking I might need to remove the starter and replace the contacts in there with these,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260388734410

Also does anyone have really good and up close pictures or youtube videos of the bolts that I am going to have to remove to get this thing off, I've heard it's a PITA, so I have already ordered the extension and wobbler sets from Harbor Freight.

Any other advice you can give me before I tackle this would help.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by destro; 04-09-2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: wrong word
destro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:58 AM   #2
Quint
Intake

Quint is on a distinguished road

I've never understood why people say they are hard to get off, they are a piece of piss.

Lay on your back under the car with your head under the sump and your legs down the length of the drive shaft. reach your left hand around the top of the bellhousing (between the firewall and block) and feel the bolts, they are 12mm from memory (might be 14) pass a spanner up with ur right hand to ur left hand, put it on the bolt using ur left hand, hold it there while you pull on the spanner with ur right hand, easy.

Failing this, lay on the rocker covers and reach down to the start motor, two bolts, thats it.
Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
batmmannn
12psi boost

batmmannn is on a distinguished road
Default Easy?

You can not reach around the bell housing from underneath this car. What are you talking about? Must be some major differences between yours in your country and ours.Ours are left side drivers that side has a hell of a lot of stuff there like the Brake master and tons of other stuff we can't get past.

Last edited by batmmannn; 05-09-2010 at 12:46 AM.
batmmannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:24 AM   #4
nfa_automotive
Intake

nfa_automotive is on a distinguished road

I'd start by doing some more checking. It's possible you still have a ground problem. I would check all the ground, make sure they're are all clean and rust free.

First off safety : before doing this next step. Car needs to be in Neutral E-brake on and you Not in front of the car.

One good way to check the starter, is when it you have a no start and a good battery, is reach done to the starter, take the small connector off the starter, find a piece of wire and a female spade connector, crimp the spade onto the length of wire, put the spade on the starter terminal, take the other end of the wire and touch it to the positive terminal. The starter should engage, if it doesn't it could still be a bad ground or a bad cable from the battery to the starter.

If the starter turns over, you need to check, The starter relay, Theft Deterrent Computer, wiring, etc

A good technician should check all of those when they get a car in with a no start.

There is a lot involved.

Here is the Diagram for Starting from a 89: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...x?S=Main&P=038

And the starter is cake to replace. You just need a couple wrenches, a hr or so, and a beer or two

Let us know how it goes
1987 Supra Turbo Targa Blue 5spd 175K, 3" Exhaust from Turbo back, Lowered 1.5", 89 Steering Wheel and Climate Control, JDM Power Folding Mirrors, HKS Fan Controller, Greddy Turbo Timer, HKS EVCIII Boost Controller, Boost Gauge, Deleted Boost Gauge in Cluster for Volt, MKIV Non-Turbo wheels

1987 Supra N/A Coupe Blue Auto - Parts Car

1987 Supra Turbo Coupe Black 5spd - Bought with a spun bearing - RIP

1987 VW Jetta GTI Auto 89k
nfa_automotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:48 AM   #5
batmmannn
12psi boost

Default Starter woes

Ok thanks for the response. The Starter is bad or I have broken teeth on the flywheel it just spins and wines does not engage.

I am working on an 87 Supra, so I am not sure if you are familiar with this car but it is no piece of cake you can not get to the starter. It is damn near impossible without removing the head or manifolds, dropping the trans. The top bolt is inaccessible. I have torn my right arm up trying to get to it. I need real information on how to get to this bolt out. I am working on an American Supra. I need specifics on what wayt to get to it and what tools or what to take off. I have worked on Supras for the past 20 years but have not run into this till now. THIS SUCKS! IT IS A HORRIBLE LOCATION I CAN"T REACH. I need help please. Thanks
Old 05-09-2010, 04:10 AM   #6
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

batmmann, check your other posts for the long response. I'm just chiming in here to tell you that the directions I gave you I have used on a 87 Turbo, 87 N/A, and 88 N/A, all US spec
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:36 AM   #7
nfa_automotive
Intake

nfa_automotive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmmannn View Post
Ok thanks for the response. The Starter is bad or I have broken teeth on the flywheel it just spins and wines does not engage.

I am working on an 87 Supra, so I am not sure if you are familiar with this car but it is no piece of cake you can not get to the starter. It is damn near impossible without removing the head or manifolds, dropping the trans. The top bolt is inaccessible. I have torn my right arm up trying to get to it. I need real information on how to get to this bolt out. I am working on an American Supra. I need specifics on what wayt to get to it and what tools or what to take off. I have worked on Supras for the past 20 years but have not run into this till now. THIS SUCKS! IT IS A HORRIBLE LOCATION I CAN"T REACH. I need help please. Thanks
Ever had a trans out? You have to take the starter bolts out to get the trans out. Buy a set of Gear Wrenches make it a little easier.
1987 Supra Turbo Targa Blue 5spd 175K, 3" Exhaust from Turbo back, Lowered 1.5", 89 Steering Wheel and Climate Control, JDM Power Folding Mirrors, HKS Fan Controller, Greddy Turbo Timer, HKS EVCIII Boost Controller, Boost Gauge, Deleted Boost Gauge in Cluster for Volt, MKIV Non-Turbo wheels

1987 Supra N/A Coupe Blue Auto - Parts Car

1987 Supra Turbo Coupe Black 5spd - Bought with a spun bearing - RIP

1987 VW Jetta GTI Auto 89k
nfa_automotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
batmmannn
12psi boost

Default Starter

Yes I have dropped toyota trans before but never like this. Mostly trucks and the like I have never seen anything positioned so badly as this. You would think something as essential as a starter would have been designed so you could replace it. I have to remove the bottom plastic cover and then look at it again. This might be going to the shop or this thing might become a parts car. I can't afford a big repair bill. I am being told to just throw a wrench on the front bolt, but I can't even reach it.

Last edited by batmmannn; 05-09-2010 at 09:15 AM.